Waves

Limbo Solo Journaling Retreat

8 posts in this topic

Background

In two days I'm going to begin my solo journaling retreat of 7 days. I decided to do this because for the first time in two years I have the time to decompress and put what happened into perspective, especially since these last 4 months have been more intense than usual.

I'm at a point where I still lack a compelling vision for my future. I only know here and there what I want to do or could be doing, but right now I feel like everything could be open, and I want to get to the bottom of what I want so that I can choose a proper path for my life purpose and personal growth. I'm also in a very lazy period, my motivation is low, although I'm traveling around in the US. It feels like I'm wasting my time and money here, whereas I thought of coming here to experience, explore and meet new people. So, on the advice of the latest @Leo Gura's video, I decided to cut to the chase and get real about what I'm here on earth to do.

I've already been on a solo retreat before, trying to find my life purpose by taking a core portion of the LP course and reading a book, but I think I got distracted a bit there. I wasn't completely alone because of that and I didn't get a lot out of it, but it was still useful, and now I know how to organize the logistics.

The plan

What I'm going to do is think about my life and introspect. I want to get in touch with my authentic self, my desires, my motives, and with who I really am (not existentially, but as a personality).

I'm going to meditate at least 1 hour, maybe 2, with Do Nothing and Mindfulness with Labeling. I'll do some stretching and basic strength exercises, not to get lost too much in my mind.

I'm still unsure about how I want to structure the journaling though, and here I am asking for your advice: Would it be wiser to go for quality or for quantity of questions?

Some core questions would be:

• What do I want in life?
  • What have I been doing? <--Analyze what my past 2 years
  • Who am I (as a personality)?
  • What do I love the most about life?
  • What is my greatest gift I could share with the world?

Other than contemplating these questions, I think I'll do some sessions at the end of the day where I just let it all out, going with the flow.

Additional questions:

• What are my strengths?
  • What are my weaknesses?
  • What do I fear?
  • How do I play victim?
  • What truths am I refusing to accept?
  • What am I grateful for in my life?
  • How am I being a weak human being?
  • How am I lying to myself?
  • How am I full of shit?

Is there another way you would go about it? Other fundamental questions you would contemplate to figure out stuff about yourself? I want to make the most out of this. I'm open to any advice :)

Nothing? Not even a tiny question? :(

As someone who's been journaling for years I can tell you that you are on the right track. Good job. With journaling you want to balance focus with allowing your mind to wander. Get it all down but don't be too unfocused. There really is no right or wrong way to journal. Over time it will evolve and you'll hone it and make it personal.

If you'd like an example, here's what my journaling typically looks like.

1. Write a few things I'm going to do today that serve my best interest.

2. Write a few things I like about myself. Positive qualities.

3. Write a few things I'm grateful for

4. Free flow writing. Here is where I just jot down my thoughts and problems. If there is a specific meaty topic I will explore it in more detail, ask questions, probe etc. If there are emotions: anger, fear, sadness, etc. I will explore them and get to the root of them.

Lastly, I was where you were at about 1 year ago. It takes time to figure out what you want. You want to balance being out in the world with solitude so you can reflect. Get ideas from the world, then go back to the cave to contemplate. Oh, and be patient! This shit takes time. Enjoy your down time while you can.

Hope that helps.

Edited by ivory

@ivory  Thank you very much for your insights! I will keep these in mind as I go through the next days. The hope is to get out some authentic truths about myself, anything will be considered a success. Then I'll continue my travels and exploration process.

@Waves What is my highest vision for myself? What does my soul crave to express?

Good luck

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thanks! You have no idea of how precious and relevant to my current situation your two latest videos are ? Or maybe you do ?

Is it actually possible to arrive to a conclusion of what your LP is ought to be through mere contemplation/journaling?! Woudn't it be more effective to just try a bunch of shit and see what u like doing most? 

@SaltyMeatballs Action alone will never be enough.

A vision for your life will never be found in any external object or event. The vision must come from deep inside your mind/heart.

You can do a bunch of stuff, and that might be good grist for the mill, but eventually you have to sit down and imagineer your highest vision.

Be visionary! Don't discount the power of your mind. Creativity comes from inside you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.