RawJudah

What would give me more growth?

13 posts in this topic

What would give me more growth...

A 10 day solo retreat out in the woods?

Or

Backpacking around a bunch of countries for a few months?

I've tried to keep the topic as simple as possible because I only want simple answers.

Anything extra would help though.

The experience that is more odd and contrasting to your ordinary life would do.

Edited by Truth Addict

@RawJudah the 10 days solo retreat if you plan it well. the trip is more prone to having several sources of distractions. even the solo retreat can have a lot of distractions if you're careless.

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, RawJudah said:

A 10 day solo retreat out in the woods?

Or

Backpacking around a bunch of countries for a few months?

I've tried to keep the topic as simple as possible because I only want simple answers.

Anything extra would help though.

I think if you're a people person, backpacking would give a good opportunity to meet a lot of different people across a really large area and I could see that being really valuable

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

1 hour ago, RawJudah said:

depends from the seeds planted inside  hehe

to grow different kind of fruit giving trees & plants require completely different stuff.

that is something you should feel the best 

or if you are lucky to find someone with skills to decode it for you 

cheers!

@Truth Addict I'm alone at work a lot of the time and I'm alone at home most of the time too., so I guess a solo retreat wouldn't do much for me? 

Maybe backpacking and meeting more people would be the better option, and I do crave social interaction, but with some interesting people.

Thank you

A month long or longer pilgrimage without socializing.

Socializing is the first escape for ego to run away from facing its inner demons and also It's a distraction to focus inward. 

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

@RawJudah I’d say it depends in what “growth” means to you. I’ve backpacked through foreign countries for months and the growth was immense. I avoided popular tourist areas and immersed myself deep into the cultures and geography. You can also designate solo time during the trip. 

I haven’t done a 10 day fully isolated solo retreat, yet I’ve done shorter periods and it allowed me to face myself and what IS. To really go deep into the inner workings of the mind-body. It can get really intense for me; also very insightful and at times very uncomfortable. 

Each offers enormous growth potential.

Wow, thanks for posting this. Its exactly what I need at this point in my life. Never done solo travel and i think its great for personal growth. Going to start planning right away.

Much love! :)

If you are in your 20s def go backpacking.

@Serotoninluv I have plenty of inner demons that I have been facing recently, especially after reading the book 'Radical Honesty' by Brad Blanton. Since reading that I have realised that I need to do more inner work, to go deeper into myself and figure out what the hell is going on... 

Since reading that book I have realised how I have lied and manipulated my whole life, and although I have changed since childhood, there is still loads of work I need to do.

So that's it really, I'm wondering if a solo retreat or solo travelling would help me to better myself...

Thank you for the reply

1 minute ago, RawJudah said:

@Serotoninluv I have plenty of inner demons that I have been facing recently, especially after reading the book 'Radical Honesty' by Brad Blanton. Since reading that I have realised that I need to do more inner work, to go deeper into myself and figure out what the hell is going on... 

Since reading that book I have realised how I have lied and manipulated my whole life, and although I have changed since childhood, there is still loads of work I need to do.

So that's it really, I'm wondering if a solo retreat or solo travelling would help me to better myself...

Thank you for the reply

This is just based on my experience. . . Deep immersion into solo trips is a great way to step “outside” the whole story. For example, a few weeks in isolated villages in Belize the story of “me” dissolved. It wasn’t an escape from me it was the dissolution of me. There was full “beingness” in Now. A couple times, someone asked me “what I did”, “whereI’m from” or “what my life is like”. There would be a pause of nothingness. Like I didn’t understand the question. Then there was realization that there is something called a “person” he is asking about. Then I had to put in effort to retrieve this story and piece it back together. Like some old movie or book I read. “Oh yes, this story began as birth in New Jersey. There was time spent in College. He works as a biologist in this story”. Complete detachment and dis- identification. It’s one thing to theorize about it and another thing to have the direct experience of it. And I’m not talking a few glimpses here or there during meditation. I’m talking consecutive days. I’ve found removing myself from the story is a key ingredient. From here, observing the personal story and how it was constructed is incredibly powerful. Now you have the awareness to deconstruct it. 

Another approach is to become deeply immersed into the story and observe from within the story. This has also yielded insights and understanding, yet it can be intense on my mind-body and I feel the need to be cautious that I don’t harm my mind-body. I’ve pushed it past discomfort into zones in which my mind-body indicated it was entering a harm zone and to pause, slow down or change direction. 

@RawJudah

Do the contrasting experience first, the best benefits come from integrating the diversity of experiences together.

Then when you do integrate them, you will start seeing life in a completely different way, a deeper and even a lot more nuanced way.

❤️

Edited by Truth Addict