Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peqkno

Advice for High School, College, University Students

6 posts in this topic

Given Leo's elite universities are a scam blog post.

Share your most insightful/ helpful/ no-BS speeches and advice given to students, graduates, etc.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

@Leo Gura

Did your advice change or morph in the last three and a half years? 

As someone who wasted time doing a teaching degree I had no interest in, and only did so because my friends were going to university and didn't want to feel left out (none of whom I have contact with currently), I'll say make sure you ACTUALLY want to study whatever it is you're studying.

Ask yourself -

Will this industry be relevant in the next 30 years?

Can I see myself doing this everyday?

Do I enjoy this? Why? What is my favourite, least favourite aspect of it?

If you can answer all of those questions honestly, and are excited about pursuing the degree:

How can I make the most out of my experience?

While I was there - 90% of people hated being there. Didn't like lectures, tutorial, assignments or doing homework. It was a frustrating interruption between socializing or playing sport. Busy work to maintain a pretense of productivity in a nosy society. 

What books can I read to get ahead in my field?
What tutors or lectures are informed? Who can I chat with regularly?
Who can I network with that is passionate? Can we meet and discuss coursework and learn together?

Unrelated tips;

Meditate everyday, twice a day for 20 minutes. Do this and commit to reading an hour a day and you'll blow out every other student.
Schedule routines - Morning routine, dedicated study periods. What get scheduled gets done. Discipline = freedom.
Learn how to cook. You'll cut down so much time fucking around waiting in line to get served average food. Plus healthy food = better mind.
Exercise everyday. Ride to university, or walk with public transport. Oxygenated brain = smarter.

If you are uncertain about what it is you want to study - DON'T GO TO UNIVERSITY

A motivated person with a library card and access to the internet can learn more than a bored enrolled student. Degree's are becoming more and more devalued over time. Becoming a self educated individual is just as viable in the online world. If you're smart, competent and can demonstrate aptitude companies will want you - or you can build your own.

Steve Jobs and Tony Robbins are prime examples. Don't be scared into believing survivor bias. Hell, even Leo created this website without relying on his degree (Feel free to correct me, but I'm assuming that all of the information you applied can be learned online @Leo Gura?)

Work part time while pursuing your interests. Apply self help like crazy to optimize your time so you can learn as much as possible about what it is you love, then do it as much as possible. You can still attend university in mid to late 20's if you feel lost after trying to do it alone. 

Get mentors if you aren't going to university though. Read tons of autobiographies, do self help courses and earn money part time. 

@peqkno I loved reading that blog post lol. Education system is so wack

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Does this advice apply if I'm from a third world country? I feel like I'm doing exactly what @Ya know is describing. No real enthusiasm for what I'm doing. University is just becoming a setback in my pursuits. 

But I feel like my degree may open doors for another things I might like.

Lol, writing this sorted some things out in my head.

Edited by Espaim