Ponder

Alan Watts is Underrated

25 posts in this topic

@Ponder Yeah I've basically listened to all the content he has at this point. I'm yet to see someone who could so eloquently describe non-duality, honestly his explanations were so good and so clear. I've listened to him so many times I need to move on. 

Recently however I've found myself becoming more obsessed with Peter Ralston as I've now started reading his book properly. I really like Mooji as well. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Not as underrated as yourself:)

YOU are essential to your imaginary friend ALAN WATTS

@lmfao Yeah man Mooji is also the shit. I reckon he was one of the most enlightened motherfuckers around in his time. I highly recommend checking out Terence McKenna if you haven’t already. Probably the smartest (if not the most enlightened) mystic of his time. 

@Jack River I am the highest (as Osho would say). 

Edited by Ponder
Additional reference

I disagree, I'd say he's highly rated, I don't think I've heard of anyone rate him poorly. I give him 5 stars myself.

Maybe you mean he could be more popular? That's different. He could be more popular. It's hard to market yourself in the internet age when you're dead, but people should really check Alan Watts out.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Ponder Yeah hehe just fucking around, I knew what you meant :D

Alan Watts is great, I always get so much out of listening to his wise words. It's really tragic that he poisoned himself with alcohol. I think some people just can't handle that level of awareness. Or maybe he was just an alcoholic who happened to be an enlightened master, plain as that.

I was thinking it would be hilarious to get a voice actor with a deep south US accent, or like thick cockney or something to read Alan Watts.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish

Yeah man, he was just an alcoholic who happened to be enlightened haha. I’m enlightened and I smoke 50ish cigarettes a day. As Sadhguru says, we have to have at least one vice or we’ll leave the body ;) 

Nah man, you want the Australian accent (like mine). I’ll make a vid one day and send you it aha 

Edited by Ponder

@Ponder I agree. I also think Ester Hicks is highly underrated / underutilized. Too ahead of her time in a way. 

(Just gonna put that there. Lol.)

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm

I agree also. Esther/Abraham Hick’s main message revolves around Law of Attraction. And, what people fail to realize, is that Law of Attraction actually is the FUNDAMENTAL law in the universe. There is no other law that supersedes it. 

Alan Watts is rated just right.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Alan Watts is rated just right.

All ratings are just right. And as public perception changes, then that will be right, as well. :D

On 10/5/2019 at 8:04 PM, Ponder said:

@lmfao Yeah man Mooji is also the shit. I reckon he was one of the most enlightened motherfuckers around in his time. I highly recommend checking out Terence McKenna if you haven’t already. Probably the smartest (if not the most enlightened) mystic of his time. 

As far as I know good ol'Mooji is still alive and well. Maybe you mean Papaji (Mooji's guru)?

As to Watts, no one can deny that he's a bloody Internet star. Hard to see him as underrated. 

By the way, I just finished reading one of his less well-known books, Myth and Ritual in Christianity. A superb mystical interpretation of this stuff many of us have come to consider as out-of-date childish bullshit. 

3 hours ago, Pierre said:

As far as I know good ol'Mooji is still alive and well. Maybe you mean Papaji (Mooji's guru)?

As to Watts, no one can deny that he's a bloody Internet star. Hard to see him as underrated. 

By the way, I just finished reading one of his less well-known books, Myth and Ritual in Christianity. A superb mystical interpretation of this stuff many of us have come to consider as out-of-date childish bullshit. 

No doubt religion is highly underrated if interpreted in the correct way. I have a highly unique interpretation of the Bible that I think is accurate, that I will go into in detail in a future post but I’m too tired right now aha 

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I love Allan Watts, I listened to his audiobooks so many times. It adds up quite well with the history that shinzen talks about in Buddhism and all ordeals and lectures zen monks have to go through just leaves you with a smirk.

I loved it since I was able to ask questions to people in China for instance in one lecture he talks about that a child in China will ask his father or mother, how will I grow? In the west in comparison, one will ask how was I made and he retraces it back to Jesus father being a carpenter and people in Asia being more attuned to nature. With Daoism etc. 

The way people care about food alone is way different than here in the west, it truly is a Get-to­ge­ther which helps to foster relationships, etc. This is one reason why I like "business" so much. Won't make sense but fine.

For me, Allan watts is a timeless classic, who taught me the fallacies of green and chartered me into the lower left quadrant and lower right from Ken Wilbers model 4 quadrant model. 

https://ecovillage.org/solution/integral-theory-of-ken-wilber/

All of this meaninglessness and being tired and complacent was a big joke. I am the one who was and is responsible for creating meaning in the day and age of lack of meaning. I mean we don't crusade for the Christian church or proselytize about it to create some form of sacrificial concept of who our savior is anymore. With polyarchy and pluralism available there are many options to actively engage in meaning creation by choosing and voting for one's interest as an example. Or to follow one's dreams actively. 

What I did not understand 3 years ago is that it is so easy to create meaning, by taking action. Yet, at high to low green it might take a while to realize that. Even meaninglessness itself can create meaning in the sense that if nothing matters, you can do and create what you want. Many don't realize this and are complacent, as I am myself yet to a significantly lower degree now. 

Still, a 23h train ride from Beijing to Shanghai in a shitty cabin while listening to Alan Watts during chinese new year was one of the most fantastical experiences I had and I am so grateful for that. Every travel I made, I had synchronistic experience about my boss always having been listening to Allan Watts, so I always looked if they are a bit more yellow. 

Allan Watts for me is perfect for green, since it shows the arbitrariness and quirkiness and meaninglessness of things. Now that I feel more stable yellow and listen to it again, it is quite evident how my perception has changed through a couple of years of meditation now. It is like my senses are sharp.

Currently, I like Mingur Rinpoche and Peter Ralston a lot. I love Peter Ralston's cup. :D A true mystery bottles and drinking.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

No one want to listen to truth

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16