Joseph Maynor

Personality Theory: MBTI and Big 5 and others

5 posts in this topic

Big 5 Aspects of Personality

Cognitive Functions of MBTI

Ennneagram of Personality Theory

The 4 Humors Personality Theory

How to think in terms of personality theory in everyday life?  I do this so I know it's possible.

You wanna become a master of personality typing in your personal development work.  It's extremely useful and fun to boot.  This is extremely important in understanding all kinds of relationships (including but not limited to intimate relationships). You should get to the point where you can type people you come into contact with in terms of MBTI (albeit tentatively).  You should know how to look up cognitive functions for each type and know what each cognitive functions means.  E.g., you should know what introverted vs. extroverted thinking is, you should know what introverted vs. extroverted intuition is, you should know what introverted vs. extroverted sensing is, and you should know what introverted vs. extroverted feeling is.  There's a lot you gotta educate yourself with here, but personality theory is a powerful tool in Personal Development Work, especially for Relationships work.  This will teach you the mechanics, the look under the hood, of Relationships.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor

What's your favorite resources to learn this? I've been really pulled to this lately. i want to dive deeper into this 

Yeah I like Big Five Traits. 

I somewhat believe in the existence of 8 cognitive functions to almost be like 8 different intelligences,  but what I don't agree with is the mapping between your four letters XXXX to a specific cognitive stack, where each letter is determined by your position on a scale from 0 to 100 on each dichotomy (e.g. I vs E dichotomy, S vs N).

Like how meaningful is your position along each of the scales from 0 to 100 when a single change in your P/J dimension flips your entire stack of functions. Yet each of the scales are supposed to be meaningful.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Come on Leo.... This video would be cool. You know you want to.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Has anyone checked out Objective Personality? It's amazing!