Shaun

Why care about the environment?

64 posts in this topic

A few years ago, I bought an electric car, got solar panels and recently went vegetarian. I then ask myself why did I even bother? The nature of reality is just perfection/mind anyway so nothing can really be gained or lost. We are here to experience and do what we want. Leo could afford an electric car but probably doesn't have one. I think he also eats meat which I am not judging him for. From a higher perspective than the stage green I am at, does all this caring about the environment stuff even matter?

Edited by Shaun

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

Because it's healthier for everyone, including yourself.

If your health does not matter to you, then, yeah, why even bother?

Thats easy to say when youre comfy. Zen devilry I believe its called. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

It does matter. But we can't really be green if we deny the other colors in the rainbow as valid choices. You have to choose green as your favorite color, because you love it. Not because the other colors are the wrong choices.  

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

because we are nature itself. being harmful to the environment is just like being a destructive entity in your body (virus, bacteria etc).

unborn Truth

From my perspective just now, I love the environment and do all I can to reduce my impact. As people go further up the spiral into the higher stages, I fear that the environment will not get the care it needs due to the everything is perfect perspective and people will just do as they please, like they do now.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

@Shaun

I understand your fears and concerns, but that's not the case.

Conscious people are not irresponsible, they care without suffering.

Everything is perfect, and yet it can always get better.

There's no end to perfection.

❤️

23 minutes ago, Shaun said:

From my perspective just now, I love the environment and do all I can to reduce my impact. As people go further up the spiral into the higher stages, I fear that the environment will not get the care it needs due to the everything is perfect perspective and people will just do as they please, like they do now.

The circle of concern grows as you move up the spiral. With enlightenment you literally ARE the environment so how can you neglect it. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

All your actions have direct and indirect consequences for you. They can either cause joy or suffering. As your consciousnesses rises and expands, you become more aware of those consequences. Why cause yourself and others unnecessary suffering? Even someone else's suffering, is suffering for you.

All stories and explanations are false.

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

We are here to experience and do what we want.

Sure, from a self-centered perspective. Yet depending on the context, self-centered wants can have a negative impact to others and one's environment. 

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

From a higher perspective than stage green, does all this caring about the environment stuff even matter?

Yes. 

Taking on that perspective, 'nothing gained or lost', you have to take that language full circle. Duality is Nonduality. We aren't here to avoid dualities. Do you still brush your teeth? Why don't you go hurt someone? There's no freedom without law. 

A little further, outside of gain and loss, maybe we just do things because we have the choice.

@Shaun You are misunderstanding what "everything is perfect" means. It does not mean that you don't take action to avoid catastrophes.

You don't jump off a tall building and while you're falling tell yourself "everything's perfect". That would be foolishness.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Shaun

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

The only reason you are alive is because of the environment. Destroy the environment, no life.

To put in another perspective, I'd say just do what you want. The destination for humanity is unanimous enlightenment and everything happens of its (God's) accord anyway, so just do you bro. Don't worry about conforming to any way of living that doesn't resonate with your being 

Thanks for clearing that one up. No, I am not going to go and buy a rolling coal truck or stop my positive contributions. I've just been feeling extremely nihilistic over the past few months with all the studies of nonduality I've been doing. I have also been getting trapped in solipsistic delusions, which I hope are delusions.

Well reusable bags and Priuses don't help the environment. Human population decline and new technology to pollute less, and clean up pollution will. Consumer choices have negligible effect, so unless you're an engineer, really the greenest thing you can do is just never reproduce.

I care because I actually have to drink the water and breathe the air on this planet. 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, XYZ said:

Well reusable bags and Priuses don't help the environment. Human population decline and new technology to pollute less, and clean up pollution will. Consumer choices have negligible effect, so unless you're an engineer, really the greenest thing you can do is just never reproduce.

I care because I actually have to drink the water and breathe the air on this planet. 

I will not be reproducing as I can't be arsed with all the expense and hassle. I just want a simple life with as few responsibilities as possible so I can focus on spirituality.

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

I will not be reproducing as I can't be arsed with all the expense and hassle. I just want a simple life with as few responsibilities as possible so I can focus on spirituality.

You might be disconnected from reality. You are thinking about why you should care about an idea without seeing the reality of it. Walk into a slaughterhouse, look at reality, you will very quickly understand why you should care.

Walk among those who suffer to experience their suffering. Walk among nature to experience nature. Walk among misery, destruction and death, to experience misery, destruction and death.

You are philosophizing about ideas, not truly about reality. If you did, the answer would be fairly obvious to you. You need to humble yourself and consider that there is something you do not see.

"But why should I care about these things if I don't care about them?"

How could you possibly know if you care about them if you yourself have never seen them? It's like someone saying they don't care about enlightenment. Saying that simply doesn't make sense, no one who is enlightened would say that, only someone who does not know what enlightenment is could ever utter such ignorance. If they were to experience it themselves, they would know without a doubt why to care about it.

The true question is why you should not be an ostrich and the answer is because you will suffer for it. Ignorance is not tolerated.

Imagine you were talking to someone who came from a war zone and you would ask them why you should care about war. They will know you are delusional, because you conflate your idea of war with what war truly is.

You will find the answer if you enter the war zone. You need to grow wise and wisdom comes from experience not mere intellectualization.

Where is your curiosity? Where is your desire to know and explore reality? Have you ever seen the environment? Have you ever seen the beauty of a rain-forest, the wide array of experiences that can be had. The life, the infinite intelligence it took to make these things appear out of nothing! 

To see a World in a Grain of Sand 

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower 

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand 

And Eternity in an hour

You know nothing, Shaun. If you did you would laugh at the depth of your ignorance. "How could I have ever uttered such an absurdity?", you will say. There is so much to this realm it is absolutely magical. If you see the truth the world will look like a fable to you. It will be full of magic, indescribable beauty and fascination. You will feel more deeply for everything and everyone. You will look back at all the fables and the myths and see their truth. Your entire body with shake with ecstasy, there will be no words, but only tears. Each and every leaf, of every branch, of every tree, of every forest will be divine. The animals will be gods walking among your. The air your breath will be life itself. You will be utterly helpless but love it all, and you will know why to care about the environment.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

On 09/05/2019 at 9:25 PM, Scholar said:

You might be disconnected from reality. You are thinking about why you should care about an idea without seeing the reality of it. Walk into a slaughterhouse, look at reality, you will very quickly understand why you should care.

Walk among those who suffer to experience their suffering. Walk among nature to experience nature. Walk among misery, destruction and death, to experience misery, destruction and death.

You are philosophizing about ideas, not truly about reality. If you did, the answer would be fairly obvious to you. You need to humble yourself and consider that there is something you do not see.

"But why should I care about these things if I don't care about them?"

How could you possibly know if you care about them if you yourself have never seen them? It's like someone saying they don't care about enlightenment. Saying that simply doesn't make sense, no one who is enlightened would say that, only someone who does not know what enlightenment is could ever utter such ignorance. If they were to experience it themselves, they would know without a doubt why to care about it.

The true question is why you should not be an ostrich and the answer is because you will suffer for it. Ignorance is not tolerated.

Imagine you were talking to someone who came from a war zone and you would ask them why you should care about war. They will know you are delusional, because you conflate your idea of war with what war truly is.

You will find the answer if you enter the war zone. You need to grow wise and wisdom comes from experience not mere intellectualization.

Where is your curiosity? Where is your desire to know and explore reality? Have you ever seen the environment? Have you ever seen the beauty of a rain-forest, the wide array of experiences that can be had. The life, the infinite intelligence it took to make these things appear out of nothing! 

You know nothing, Shaun. If you did you would laugh at the depth of your ignorance. "How could I have ever uttered such an absurdity?", you will say. There is so much to this realm it is absolutely magical. If you see the truth the world will look like a fable to you. It will be full of magic, indescribable beauty and fascination. You will feel more deeply for everything and everyone. You will look back at all the fables and the myths and see their truth. Your entire body with shake with ecstasy, there will be no words, but only tears. Each and every leaf, of every branch, of every tree, of every forest will be divine. The animals will be gods walking among your. The air your breath will be life itself. You will be utterly helpless but love it all, and you will know why to care about the environment.

Lot's of projection, judging and groundless assumptions here. Anyway, I actually care deeply about these issues but you obviously didn't read the entire thread, only the title. My question was perfectly valid based on the general consensus here that I am all there is and everything is an illusion. I have never experienced that truth so that's why I still have compassion, do all I can to help the environment and others. So with that, it is YOU who knows nothing.

Edited by Shaun