BjarkeT

How to overcome plateau?

7 posts in this topic

How do you overcome plateau? That part where you first get good at a skill but then all of the sudden it seems like you are getting stuck and can’t seem to improve. How do you avoid getting stuck and keep improving?

@BjarkeT Honestly this is a question I often wonder myself, but from what I know in weightlifting, you have to change up your routine. And I guess we can say that applies to any area of your life that you plateau in. Changing up your routine could mean increasing the weight in the gym, or changing up how you practice whatever your skill is.

In my own words, its all about tricking the brain. If you think about it, if you do the same thing over and over again your brain will get so used to it that it has no reason to improve because all it takes is that same exact level its stuck at to do the job. I don’t know if that makes sense but that’s sort of how I see it.

Another quick example though, let’s say some guy works 9-5 until age 65. All he does is enter in some data into a computer all day doing the same exact thing for 40 years. Why would his brain need to “improve” when his current skill level already gets the job done and he gets rewarded with a paycheck every two weeks?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter That make sense. But unfortunately i am unclear on how i should be pushing my self outside my comfort zone with my interest of composing music do you or anybody have any tips on how to do that? Thanks for your response.

Dont stress the plateau. Find some new tool to help you to get to the level you want, buy some class or just wait a year and then youll see that you actually have been improving, you just have a hard time seeing over such a long timespan. :)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@BjarkeT There we go that’s a better way to say it, push yourself out of your comfort zone.

I don’t know a lot about composing music, but maybe try something new you’ve never done before. I’m sure you can think of a million new things you can do when it comes to music composition. Compose a new song, use a new instrument, etc.

I’m sure there’s also many other ideas you can find on Youtube.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

It’s all about patience. You need to enjoy the platue. Learn to love it. There will always be up and downs in anything you do. I used to wonder the same but this is the answer. I recommend reading “the  dip” by Seth Godin

Getting stuck is a part of learning and it's just something you have to power through. It's so frustrating to work hard at losing weight and the scale doesn't budge or worse, the number goes up. All of these plateaus go away eventually. You learn more about yourself and what you're capable of when you power through them. That's where strength to go on comes from. 

Give this a read. It's about New Years resolutions but it still has a lot of good encouragement and info: https://newfieldnetwork.com/sustaining-change-seeing-your-new-years-resolutions-through/