Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
QandC

Science vs Spirituality ("Debate")

9 posts in this topic

Great seminar about science vs spirituality. Personally, I ask myself always why there should even be a debate. I think science and spirituality goes hand in hand, because everything is a part of reality. Why can we not just combine the two as it is? The separation is also a part of reality. Transcending the duality is our goal!

- Enter your fear and you are free -

1 hour ago, QandC said:

Great seminar about science vs spirituality. Personally, I ask myself always why there should even be a debate. I think science and spirituality goes hand in hand, because everything is a part of reality. Why can we not just combine the two as it is? The separation is also a part of reality. Transcending the duality is our goal!

I agree. One informs the other. Science without spirituality has little meaning or purpose, and spirituality without science can be misguided or even dangerous.

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

The spirituality they are arguing for is just another science. Worthless as far as self-realization is concerned. 

41 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

The spirituality they are arguing for is just another science. Worthless as far as self-realization is concerned. 

Spirituality and science is a dualism. Upon closer inspection, there are many nuances and inter-connections between spirituality and science. A belief that it is worthless to explore this would keep a mind immersed and contracted within the dualism. 

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Spirituality and science is a dualism. Upon closer inspection, there are many nuances and inter-connections between spirituality and science. A belief that it is worthless to explore this would keep a mind immersed and contracted within the dualism. 

Inter-connectedness between two paradigms that are worthless for self-realization is worthless inter-connectedness. 

8 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

Inter-connectedness between two paradigms that are worthless for self-realization is worthless inter-connectedness. 

By labeling it as “worthless”,  the mind is making a value judgement which maintains the duality. With that belief there is a lack of openness, curiosity and desire to explore in this area. There is nothing wrong with that, it’s just a contracted view. To label integrative insights as “worthless” will restrict a mind within a relative and contracted view. 

@Serotoninluv Value judgments are not a hindrance if there is discernment. I agree with your general statement, but I maintain that conventional knowledge, whether scientific or spiritual - is worthless for self-realization. 

As Ramana said:

Direct knowledge does not require intellectual discourses.

15 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

@Serotoninluv I maintain that conventional knowledge, whether scientific or spiritual - is worthless for self-realization. 

As Ramana said:

Direct knowledge does not require intellectual discourses.

Great. That is a dualistic belief. Nothing wrong with that. Yet it’s just a relative belief. Beliefs tend to be limiting due to the inherent attachment/ identification to the belief. 

As well, using quotes from people that one considers an authority can reinforce a limiting belief and hinder deep observation into one’s direct experience.