Anirban657

How to be aware of awareness?

42 posts in this topic

I know it looks like a stupid question but still, how to be aware of awareness?

I mean I am looking at the wall. I am aware that I am looking at the wall. I ask myself,"Am I aware of the wall?". And my answer is yes. So I am not aware of awareness.

I mean yesterday for the first time when I tried to become aware of awareness, it worked but now it's not happening. I meditate daily but for 6 months I stopped it due to my psychosis. And so I feel a bit less confident about being aware of awareness.

How do I become aware of awareness?

What question do I ask myself? 

Please comment, thank you!

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

You are always aware, you are just confused about it.

In this very moment you are aware.

Even when you are «unconscious», you are still aware, except there is no clarity and we judge this state as «bad».

«You are which is aware of thoughts/sensations and emotions»

You can't just know yourself like you know those things, because you are already it.

The biggest confusion is you thinking you are the voice in your head, but those are just thoughts, same thing for emotions.

There is attachments to thoughts which create a sense of identity in them, but they are not more you than your dog.

You just have to look/see them for what they are, and you can do that right now, because it is already happening.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

22 minutes ago, Anirban657 said:

How do I become aware of awareness?

What question do I ask myself? 

What is this “I” that desires to become aware of awareness?

What might happen if the “I” was let go of and awareness was allowed to be aware of itself without the filter of an “I”?

you are the picture of the wall, the picture of the wall is awareness, you are aware of awareness

11 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

What is this “I” that desires to become aware of awareness?

What might happen if the “I” was let go of and awareness was allowed to be aware of itself without the filter of an “I”?

@Serotoninluv I get it. Wow it's so easy but the ego makes it seem difficult.

32 minutes ago, Shin said:

You are always aware, you are just confused about it.

In this very moment you are aware.

Even when you are «unconscious», you are still aware, except there is no clarity and we judge this state as «bad».

«You are which is aware of thoughts/sensations and emotions»

You can't just know yourself like you know those things, because you are already it.

The biggest confusion is you thinking you are the voice in your head, but those are just thoughts, same thing for emotions.

There is attachments to thoughts which create a sense of identity in them, but they are not more you than your dog.

You just have to look/see them for what they are, and you can do that right now, because it is already happening.

@Shin I am worried if I am doing self-enquiry correctly. I am trying to be aware of whatever I am.

9 minutes ago, Marinador said:

you are the picture of the wall, the picture of the wall is awareness, you are aware of awareness

@Marinador I find it hard to accept since I did not experience it.

As long as you see a wall;

Awareness is not aware.

Practice being non-object focused. Focus on nothing only. Do it hard.

All that is something is not nothing. Including you and the wall. Breathe deeper.

Edited by ivankiss

Is being enlightened different from being aware of being aware?

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

10 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Is being enlightened different from being aware of being aware?

Not really. But yes.

Only when there is no one who is aware; awareness is fully aware. (of itself)

Enlightenment is. (an overrated word) 

Edited by ivankiss

You are awareness, when you are looking at the wall (which is awareness) you already aware of awareness , you just don't realize yet.

The wall are not saperate from awareness, it is awareness.

So when you look at the wall, yes you are aware of the wall and simutanously you are aware of awareness.

Based on direct experience

There is an appearance(screen/awareness),and everything that appear in the screen are you ,for example like the wall, the wall are you.

Edited by Nevon

@Nevon slippery. 

both "you" and "the wall" must go.

Even though nothing can't go.

Read some michael langford description regarding that.

For most PEOPLE it's very hard to abide as awareness.

4 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

@Nevon slippery. 

When come full circle ,non dual include all duality, just like leo said in recent episode,all speaking are dualisic.

16 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

@Nevon slippery. 

You guys really want them to think we are crazy ?

God is love

And God in them

1 hour ago, Shin said:

You guys really want them to think we are crazy ?

THEY SHALL NOT PASS!

What is Aware? Put your attention on that. It's self-knowing. It is Everything. Both the wall and the One Aware of the wall. Being which is identical to Awareness and God becomes aware and conscious of itself and knows itself to be the only existent.

The difficulty results from the fact that awareness is nothing. The mind cannot grasp it in the same way it can grasp a wall or tree or a thought.

So by trying to become aware of awareness you are really trying to realize Nothingness/Emptiness.

Yes, it's frusrating. There is no way around that. You are being asked to grasp the ungraspable.

Through lots of practice the mind must become very still. That stillness of mind itself becomes the empty awareness of awareness. You. Are. It.

Try focusing your mind on nothing in particular and just let it sit there. The more it sits there, the more Emptiness will dawn on you. Don't try to grasp it. Let it wash over you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Don't think you need to have a silent mind to be aware though,

That's usefull especially in the beginning to understand experientially what being aware is,
After that you can always be aware whether the mind is crazy or not, it doesn't matter, you are way behind them (so to speak).

And that's not enlightenment and it can happen pretty fast.

God is love

And God in them

@Anirban657 @Anirban657

I am not self realized and never had the nothingness exp.

But the words awareness is aware of itself is not used by all.It is confusing the seekers.

First of all Awareness is not an object or thing or feeling or emotion.

The word try to be aware of awareness makes you think you can experience awareness as an object that is impossible.

The eyes cannot see itself.This is just a pointer.

Awareness or Infinity or Self or God is beyond everything.

Awareness is beyond the waking state,dream state,deep sleep state.

In deep sleep awareness is aware of unconsciousness.

In dream it is aware of the dreams.

In waking state you know what.

But in the waking state when the sense of me,body experience,thoughts everything is gone what will remain ?

Pure empty waking conciousness or no-thingness with out any objects.So awareness is aware of this.

So finally Awareness is beyond everything being,non being,sleep,waking,dream any exp non experience,Nothingness,Emptiness what ever you call it name it.

So you can never expirience awareness or in short drop the words awareness is aware of itself.How to be aware of awareness.

What ever perceived cannot be the perceiver.

You cannot experience yourself you can only know what you are not.

By knowing what you are not you know what you are.-Nisargadatta Maharaj

Hope this is clear.

Edited by Jkris
Edit

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The difficulty results from the fact that awareness is nothing. The mind cannot grasp it in the same way it can grasp a wall or tree or a thought.

So by trying to become aware of awareness you are really trying to realize Nothingness/Emptiness.

Yes, it's frusrating. There is no way around that. You are being asked to grasp the ungraspable.

Through lots of practice the mind must become very still. That stillness of mind itself becomes the empty awareness of awareness. You. Are. It.

Try focusing your mind on nothing in particular and just let it sit there. The more it sits there, the more Emptiness will dawn on you. Don't try to grasp it. Let it wash over you.

@Leo Gura When I try to be aware of who I am, I am able to perceive I-am-ness. 

Sri Ramana Maharishi says to hold on to the I-am-ness or I-ness.

In the beginning of my self-inquiry I started by asking "Who am I? What am I?". Since I am not the body, I am holding on to the sense of I in the direct experience. 

I think that during self-inquiry I am supposed to do that. Correct me if I am wrong @Leo Gura