Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiberatedMonkey

Social Skills

4 posts in this topic

I'm Incoming freshman about to go to college and I want to improve my social skills. I've noticed fairly well that my people skills are pretty bad and I am kind of suffering for it now by not having too many friends and not having the confidence to talk to people without feeling awkward. So, my point is that if I started working on social skills how long would it take me to get to the point where I could talk to anyone effortlessly? I want to know this because I don't want to set the wrong expectations for myself.

Edited by LiberatedMonkey
Grammar

@LiberatedMonkey I’ll be 100% honest with you, I used to ask myself and other people on other forums this question too back in highschool.

I always thought I had social anxiety so I asked questions like “how long until my social anxiety is gone?” “If I took 2 sessions of hypnosis, how much will that improve my social anxiety by?” “How many people do I talk to until my social skills improve?” There’s no straight answer because everyone is different. Think about the different ways people grew up in their lives, their family situation, their genes, their personality, and most importantly how much effort you put into working on your social skills.

That’s the only answer someone should give you, the more effort you put into it, the faster you’ll get there. The less amount of effort you put into it, the slower. Also, results are not linear, they are exponential. You won’t see a lot of results in the beginning, but more result as time goes by while putting the work in.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

It’s good that you want to improve your social skills. But know that quite many other people lack social skills too. So don’t think you’re by yourself when your in a social situation. You want to just be in the moment and don’t try to force a conversation. Unless, you have too.