Hardkill

Don't aspire to achieve great success in life?

11 posts in this topic

Today, I just rewatched one of Leo's actualized.org vids on his Youtube Channel entitled "Successful People Are Not Happy," where he talked about how most people throughout the whole world wish or desire to have the life of a celebrity or some highly successful person out there who seems to "have it all" and is living the "happiest life in the world." So, it goes without saying that yes most famous and successful people are not really happy because they indeed just perpetually chase more and more success and material possessions throughout their entire lives without ever learning how to be truly content with both what they have achieved in their whole lives and what/who they are. Some of these people whom we looked up to as some of the greatest people in the world really have or had miserable lives. Some celebrities and other kinds of successful people really even went so far as to having taken their own lives because they never could or never knew how or never genuinely wanted to make themselves truly happy. Now, I know that Leo did say in the same vid though that he is not saying that we should be lazy losers with everything we do life and that we all still need to learn and internalize the essential principles of success. However, I've thoroughly watched this whole video at least a couple of times now and the one thing about that video that's been bothering for a while and I still can't figure out to this day is that is Leo trying to say no one should ever try to make it big in life regardless of what their ultimate goals are in their lives? Is it really a terrible mistake to go for the glory? Is it actually a bad idea to become rich even if you worked incredibly hard for it?

For me I see it as, don't chase "success" looking for it to solve all your problems, you must be aware that all this money you're chasing after will not bring you anything other than removal of worry about money, you'll be able to support yourself in your hobbies, your kids hobbies, their education and whatnot, I just would strongly advise anyone who's working 80 hour weeks to stop, unless it's like their real life purpose and they need to put some serious effort in for a short while like a couple weeks or a month, most people working 80 hour weeks would rather not but are trapped in the mind frame of it being "the key" to the good life

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

Like others have said, chasing after success will make your money problems go away, but it will never make your deep inner problems go away. 

Theres a line that has to be crossed when it comes to success and happiness.

you know all those really rich celebrities that occasionally do something stupid like kill themselves? Well... there’s your answer right there. It ain’t gonna change your inner game.

Maybe try to work smarter and not harder, and earn just enough for you to get by and do the things you want to do in life.

Aspire for your success, not others.
Success is doing the things that are fulfilling to you. The reason these why some of these celebrities are not happy is because they stopped doing what fulfils them, and instead starting chasing others ideas of success. 

Make sure you are doing the things that are fulfilling to you, and align with your values and principles in life. That makes you successful. Not the money or the fame. 

Also to note, as we mature and develop, our values and priorities change. What was fulfilling to you when you were 10 years old is vastly different to when you are 30 years old. Be willing to be flexible and honest with yourself if what you are doing now is inherently fulfilling, or is it chasing someone else idea (even your old self's idea) of success. 

When you really love doing something, then why don't you just do you best, why not become successful in that area, if it brings meaning to your life and value to others?

So, there's nothing wrong with having great success as long as you balance it out with fulfilling all of the other important areas of your life including the highest levels of self-actualization. If I am correct, you guys are also saying that success is good when it is truly necessary for your overarching life situation and goals.

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

So, there's nothing wrong with having great success as long as you balance it out with fulfilling all of the other important areas of your life including the highest levels of self-actualization. If I am correct, you guys are also saying that success is good when it is truly necessary for your overarching life situation and goals.

Definitely keep doing inner work and stuff like that, only working on career is half-assing life, there is so much more to get.

What is good and what is success are relative things, go find it yourself :) 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:04 AM, bejapuskas said:

When you really love doing something, then why don't you just do you best, why not become successful in that area, if it brings meaning to your life and value to others?

Exactly. 

Success alone won't fulfill you, but it's very hard to be fulfilled without any success at all. 

Alright, all of these responses make sense to me. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Since, I still have relatively poor time management, procrastination issues, and tend to slack off a lot of times on my job work and school work, I know that I need to work harder and longer on my school work, part-time work tasks I do for my parents, while keeping up with all of my hobbies. However, I am afraid of working so hard at the cost of my mental health and perhaps my physical health in the long run. Some studies have already stated that working more than a total about 40 hours a week will eventually cause long-term damage your mental and perhaps physical health. However, I know that if I want to become a very successful worker, good student, continue to work hard on improving my skills in all of my hobbies including martial arts, heavy weight training, cross country running, reading books on various kinds of intellectual material to improve my reading comprehension and vocabulary, etc., then I am gonna have to work much more than 40 hours per week for all of those things. So, I don't know what to do.