Derek White

My Experience With Thought-less Mind. Bursting Myths. And Need Some Advice.

33 posts in this topic

I have heard the everpresent awareness to be referred to as ‘headlessness’ 

I’d forget about the states for it is the identification with thinking and non-thinking which blocks out the wholeness of being

in sports nonattachment is what often leads to what we might call flow states or playing in the zone   

46 minutes ago, Derek White said:

@purerogue Can you explain a bit more if you don't mind ?

Reading your main post I can tell that you are making same main problem as lots of people , if you would use no mind correctly there would be no problems for you to solve problems, or having hard time expressing yourself, that is what I call not having awareness, you have to be engaged in your surroundings, or else you will feel lifeless, have no energy and will have problems you mentioned 

With engagement I do not mean attached. 

Edited by purerogue

@Derek White If you close your eyes and count to 10 in the head, isn't that thinking? 

My memory also has gotten worse since agencyless state. I still do have problems with anxiety, unfortunately. 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@purerogue Yes you are totally right. I have also experienced the ease of looking from other perspectives and changing the logic patterns of my mind relativity easily. I think it can increase your awareness if used 'correctly'. The key word being correctly. 

Ultimately, what i was trying to get at with my post is that we as spiritual seekers overestimate no-mind and have too many false assumptions about it. We think it will solve all our problems. In my opinion thinking is like working out and not thinking is like taking a rest. Both are important and resting helps with working out and working out with resting. If you rest all the time or if you workout all the time, you won't make progress. 

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

28 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

@Derek White If you close your eyes and count to 10 in the head, isn't that thinking? 

My memory also has gotten worse since agencyless state. I still do have problems with anxiety, unfortunately. 

@Enlightenment What do you mean by agencytless state?

And yes, counting to 10 in your head is thinking, but what are you trying to get at with that?

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@Derek White

The lack of agency-less-ness is the reason why what you experienced was not Samadhi but only Manolaya. To answer your question, no, there is no point in staying in that state for the purpose of enlightenment, and as you know, your academic performance will suffer. I would advise picking up self-inquiry. You don't need to not study or not engage with your intelligence. Self-inquiry as much as you can and allow things to unfold by themselves. 

It's not thought which is the problem so much as self-referential thought.

Practical thoughts like: "Hungry, need to buy groceries" is no problem and necessary.

Problematic thoughts are like: "Why did I screw this up again? I'm always this way. I have been bad my whole life." Etc. These are the kind of thoughts to eliminate or let go of. These kind of thoughts reinforce the narrative of the ego self. They assume a biographical self which is an illusion.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Derek White I think this is a classic case of confusing thinking or no-thinking with spirituality or the goal of spirituality. Thinking is actually nothing more than an organ or function in your body which helps you structure your survival and yourself better. Thinking is not the problem, Ego is the problem and they are three things that are important to state here. 
-Thinking doesnt have to be bad or an obstacle, thoughts themselves actually have nothing to do with ego or letting go of the ego. They are just stuff on the screen of consciousness which has no center or ego. 

-The reason no-mind is so often talked about in spirituality is because thinking is the *main* tool that the ego uses to maintain its illusion. It is the best technology to keep you distracted, to keep you lying, to keep you from seeing the nature of existence

-Your body and your sense of self is grounded in much much more than in the concept of "thinking" vs. "not-thinking". There are an endless amount of subtle ways in which your sense of self is maintained. Its not about conquering your brain, its about conquering all of your life and existence and thats how you have to treat it. Go at it from a universal perspective. Without a deep thirst for knowledge nothing will happen when you are in such a state otherwise. 

Focus on the abstract concepts and questions of spirituality with your thinking first and then explore them with the present moment. Explore death and non-existent first. Stuff like that
"With Buddha nature in you, you meet everyone as if for the first time", of course your memory starts to get worse, your memory to a certain extent is a structure you build upon the present moment. This structure is a fantasy and is largely used to support the existence of an ego. 

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

Ultimately you get singularity realization that this moment right now is eternal infinity.

But why the fuck I need to go to work that is an even bigger question. 

Hope I am enlightened really sick of this. Alex wants it's life back and he deserved it. ???

Got the TRUTH cool now get back to chop some more woods. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

It is perfect you are perfect all manifestations are perfect everything is perfect divine. Everyone immortal. ❤️❤️❤️

@Derek White I have had this on my mind (HAHAHA) for a very long time and am so glad you have wrote a post about it!

I wasn't sure if something was wrong with me, or i was numb, or just aware. It's hard to find people who can relate to being able to rest in "thoughtlessness". I agree with you on the addiction part. It's VERY addicting if you get a taste of how good it feels. 

Here's how i think it works:

1.) You get a vision about 'no mind' 

2.) You spend lots of time watching the mind/meditating until it becomes still

3.) You learn how to stay 'still'

4.) Stillness becomes addicting and you find it more pleasurable than thinking.

5.) The lines between necessary thinking and "a thought" begin to blur and you're not sure how to go about it..

THANK you once again for this post.

... now it's time to build my thoughts up again, but with the right words. xD

@Derek White

14 hours ago, Derek White said:

And yes, counting to 10 in your head is thinking, but what are you trying to get at with that?

Nevermind. I misread your post.

By agencylessness I mean no sense of agency. Like literally if you take your hand in front of you and move it, does it feel like you are responsible for this movement? Like you are moving these fingers? If not - you have no sense of agency

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk