sausagehead

How to gain positive karma

9 posts in this topic

I was watching Leo’s video “how karma works” and it sounds like everything we do is selfish, even the selfless acts because we do them for the wrong reasons (to feel like a good person etc). How can I be selfless without being selfish in order to gain good karma? Should I just focus on benefiting the lives of others even if I’m motivated more or less by selfishness? Is enlightenment the only answer to not getting hammered with bad karma your whole life?

If what you do includes everyone's wellbeing, if what you do is good for everybody not just you, then you can call it selfless activity. If what you do is only just to satisfy your needs then it's a selfish action and bad karma.

If your activity is all inclusive then it's good karma. If your activity is exclusive, meaning you don't care what happens to others, you only care about yourself then it's bad karma. It's impossible to live a good life if you're constantly performing bad karma. 

There's actually a whole science somewhere in Bhuddhism to live a good life. What to do, what not to do. Like you shouldn't work in a meat factory, or kill mosquitoes etc.. not moral rules but guidence how to perform good karma and live a good life.

Edited by Salvijus

@sausagehead

It does not make sense, but the only way to clear the Karma is by being selflessly selfish.

You can only truly be happy when you stop resisting, and you can only truly stop resisting when you have fewer and littler agendas.

So, the journey to selfishness (happiness) is feuled with selflessness (letting go).

Less is more ;)

❤️

Edited by Truth Addict

@sausagehead Karma is just more nonsense. It cannot touch you. You only think that events affect you good or bad ways. Karma is within the realm of thought and not a real thin of its own accord. 

If you work so that your only desire left is God then everything will work itself out. It's really that simple. Everything you want is God. If you get caught up in doing "good" so that good things will happen to you then you are in for some suffering, and hey maybe that's what you need right now.

The goal of spiritual practice is to stop creating karma, not to "gain" positive karma. What could be named as "positive" karma are actions that have no egoic motivation and therefore lack needs and shoulds and are justified by being itself. No "I" is interfering, therefore you should call it less karma and not positive. 

"I love her for the sake of having more love in this consciousness" "I love her for the sake of loving her" 

Instead of "I love her because she is attractive" "I love her because she loves me"; this would be creating karma

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

13 hours ago, sausagehead said:

How can I be selfless without being selfish in order to gain good karma? Should I just focus on benefiting the lives of others even if I’m motivated more or less by selfishness? 

I would let go of trying to gain positive karma. I would focus on developing a genuine and kind mind-body. Things seem to flow well from that orientation.

Develop loving kindness/ compassion. it's possible for your love to spread to every human on the planet. Good karma comes from right action, right speech, right intention