luqqzr

How unhealthy is a frozen pizza really?

18 posts in this topic

Let's use a vegetarian frozen pizza with vegetables as an example because I think it tends to be more healthy than for example a salami pizza.

I'm trying to eat more healthy but I really love pizza. I don't know how unhealthy it really is, that's why it's hard for me to decide how often I can eat it.

So I'm asking myself these questions: Are frozen pizzas much worse than pizzas from restaurants?

Is it maybe okay to eat frozen pizzas with vegetables?

If it's unhealthy then what exactly, can it be compared to something else unhealthy? 

How often can I eat frozen pizzas without them draining energy from me, being unhealthy for me? Not at all, sometimes, or doesn't it matter?

@luqqzr So I used to work with this guy who was crazy fit and he would eat frozen pizza, crappy packaged food and snacks for all of his meals but he was ripped AND he was like 36-Ish (or close) years old. He was the fastest and strongest person I knew— as in he had both sides, which is kind of rare.

However, he was a SUPER strict intermittent faster. He ate one time a day, at night and all of his 3k calories in a 2 hour or so window. That was normal to him.

I say that to say— it depends on your goal. Is your goal to be healthy? Then you could eat pizza sometimes, I don’t think it’s necessarily healthy to completely elimate your favorite foods (unless they are causing you harm) in any nutrition program.

Try eating a variety of nutrition rich foods (fresh veggies, plants, fruits) to enhance your taste buds. Craving certain foods many times happens because we are accustomed to eating the same few flavors over and over.

It’s important to pay close attention to how certain foods make you feel after you eat them, even your emotions after you eat them.

If you feel heavy or you feel very bad— perhaps you need to cut pizza out or find a viable replacement.

I used to like pizza but I don’t really care about it anymore— I very rarely even crave it.

You can fight your addiction to junk foods and learn to enjoy healthy foods instead.

I would say the cheese is by far the most unhealthy part of the pizza, followed by processed meat.

I can't tell if there is any difference with frozen pizzas and restaurant pizzas.

Try to eat only healthy foods for a whole week, follow a Whole Food Plant-Based diet, and experience the difference yourself. You can also research the long term benefits of eating a Whole Food Plant-Based diet.

@luqqzr I think it's safe to eat a frozen pizza once in a while. Once or twice per week maybe? Yes a side of vegetables with it will make it a whole lot healthier and provide some antioxidants to counter any possible damage from the cheese. 

All that truly matters it at you do not eat excess calories. Many people obsess with "what is healthy or not" when food is literally calories in vs calories out. There is no such thing as "eating clean", there is however, eating densely nutritious foods vs empty calories...Foods that are considered empty calories (like Doritos) have very little nutritional value and worst of all, are not satiating, which leads to a calorie surplus and all the issues which come from that. You could easily throw down 3 small bags of Doritos but have trouble eating 3 apples, when the apples are LESS calories. That is what densely nutritious means. 3 Dorito bags are about 150 calories x (3 bags) = 450 calories. 3 Apples are about 90 calories x 3 apples = 270 calories.

You can eat 100g of sugar a day and not suffer a single health problem SO LONG as your caloric intake does not lead to fat gain. IN other wrods, the unhealthy part of a diet is eating too much. 

You can go on and see all these so-called natural health gurus telling you cheese is bad, milk is bad, broccoli is bad, meat is bad, coffee is bad, tea is bad, etc. Everyone has their 'camp' and they are all incorrect. None of them have actual verifiable biological proof of any of their claims; most of them who experienced life changing things are due to their change in diet or physical activity. Someone who drops all carbs and lose X amount of fat and feels great did remove any 'bad foods'...all they did was literally reduce their calories by removing the calories that carbs would have accounted for. They then go around saying "see, Keto is the best"...If however, they dropped all carbs but continued to match their previous calories by adding more protein or fat, they would not lose a single pound. 

Nothing is bad unless it is poisonous. So enjoy whatever foods you want. A good ratio is to eat 80% densely nutrious food, and 20% "junk" IF you feel like it. This helps people avoid binging and forcing themselves to suffer on unsustainable diets. 

Edited by Angelo John Gage

Sounds great, thank you guys! I'm relieved to hear that I am not doing too bad. Every week I'm eating like 1-2 pizzas and I have to say it drains a little energy from me but not as much that it would be a big issue. The rest of my nutrition is really good, it compensates the pizzas I would say ?.

You can get ripped by eating unhealthy foods, it is pretty common and documented everywhere. The most important thing here is to account macronutrients and manage calorie deficits combined with good exercise. 

Don't confuse being jacked with being healthy.

Also don't confuse bodybuilding diet with diet that benefits creativity and spirituality. You don't need too sophisticated of a brain chemistry to lift big weights

Edited by Hello from Russia

On 4/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Angelo John Gage said:

All that truly matters it at you do not eat excess calories. Many people obsess with "what is healthy or not" when food is literally calories in vs calories out. There is no such thing as "eating clean", there is however, eating densely nutritious foods vs empty calories...Foods that are considered empty calories (like Doritos) have very little nutritional value and worst of all, are not satiating, which leads to a calorie surplus and all the issues which come from that. You could easily throw down 3 small bags of Doritos but have trouble eating 3 apples, when the apples are LESS calories. That is what densely nutritious means. 3 Dorito bags are about 150 calories x (3 bags) = 450 calories. 3 Apples are about 90 calories x 3 apples = 270 calories.

You can eat 100g of sugar a day and not suffer a single health problem SO LONG as your caloric intake does not lead to fat gain. IN other wrods, the unhealthy part of a diet is eating too much. 

You can go on and see all these so-called natural health gurus telling you cheese is bad, milk is bad, broccoli is bad, meat is bad, coffee is bad, tea is bad, etc. Everyone has their 'camp' and they are all incorrect. None of them have actual verifiable biological proof of any of their claims; most of them who experienced life changing things are due to their change in diet or physical activity. Someone who drops all carbs and lose X amount of fat and feels great did remove any 'bad foods'...all they did was literally reduce their calories by removing the calories that carbs would have accounted for. They then go around saying "see, Keto is the best"...If however, they dropped all carbs but continued to match their previous calories by adding more protein or fat, they would not lose a single pound. 

Nothing is bad unless it is poisonous. So enjoy whatever foods you want. A good ratio is to eat 80% densely nutrious food, and 20% "junk" IF you feel like it. This helps people avoid binging and forcing themselves to suffer on unsustainable diets. 

Lol. Please do some research before you end up causing yourself diabetes. (and cause other people here because of your misleading information).

There is proof, scientific evidence included if anecdotical is not enough for you, that certain foods can be worse/better than others, no matter how much calories or if they are the same calories.

Hell, even if you are minim self-consciouss of your body you see almost inmediately how your body reacts to eating a whole bunch of pasta vs eating "clean" like (yes, broccoli) or fruit.

However, I agree with you in that there is a lot of bullshit over the internet (gurus as you said) catalogizing certain foods as totally bad or totally good. 

If you feel the same eating for a whole month pizzas and etc vs eating "clean", well great for you. You must have a magnificient metabolism. However me I can´t go more than 2 days eating shit or I´ll start noticing increase in anxiety, can´t sit to meditate, stomach unestability, craving for stimulants...etc.

5 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Don't confuse being jacked with being healthy.

This.

I love pizza too. I don't eat it more often than once a month, though.

If you can't even bring yourself to stop eating pizza, better just forget about eating healthy.

• Pizza has wheat
  • Pizza has cheese (and melted + reheated at that, even more trans fats)
  • Pizza has processed meat
  • Pizza counts as processed food (count the ingredients!)
  • Whatever else kinda shit they put in there.
    Look at the ingredients list. It's a mess.
On 4/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, luqqzr said:

Is it maybe okay to eat frozen pizzas with vegetables?

No.

I recommend reading this article: https://www.intense-workout.com/cravings.html

I printed it out and hung it above my fridge.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 4/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Angelo John Gage said:

@Angelo John Gage Did you even have biology in high school? Do you know what vitamins are and what that means?

You're basically disregarding all science because sometimes research is contradicting and that's too complicated for you.

Just...don't encourage people to harm themselves with dangerous uninformed advice like this. Please.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Frozen Pizza is basically garbage, sorry. You can forget to eat it on a regular basis, it should be a rare exception.
Better yet, regard it as a treat and make it yourself. There is really no easier dough to make yourself than pizzadough. You take the healthiest flour you can find, like spelt or buckwheat (glutenfree), some water, olive oil, seasalt and some yeast, knead it, let it rise for a bit, and there you have your base. An organic pasta sauce on top (also, better yet, can your own tomato sauce, delish and so easy to make), organic veggies and go very easy on the mozzarella and there you go. Home made fast food is still fast food a lot better than processed, prepacked and frozen stuff.

Read the ingredients. Do you recognize everything on there? where are those ingredients sourced from?

Homemade pizza would be better since you control for all the ingredients and probably has less preservatives added.

but in short, pizza is okay for me, its not healthy and not overly unhealthy. I enjoy it like once a week haha cause I also love pizza. 

On 4/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, Angelo John Gage said:

You can eat 100g of sugar a day and not suffer a single health problem SO LONG as your caloric intake does not lead to fat gain. 

Did you get this from Reddit? 

Careful, r/fitness isnt that health conscious, they mostly only care about aesthetic and performance results 

Calories in and calories out is a philosophy for body building/weight loss, its not a philosophy for optimizing health, that is a different branch of nutrition 

I used to think the same as you, but its orange nutrition 

Edited by d0ornokey

@flowboy where in my statement am I saying eat ONLY 100g of sugar a day. I'm debunking the myth that if someone eats "too much sugar" they will become diabetic, when in fact, unless there is an underlying medical issue, they will not.

@Javfly33  100 grams of sugar is 400 calories. If someone was on a diet and ate 2200 calories of nutritious food and decided to drink 5 sodas for a total of 100g of sugar for 400 calories, and their total intake was 2600 calories, which was as 500 calorie deficit, they aren't getting diabetes. Please know what you're talking about. 

That are metastudies about this. The deficit will take care of the insulin fluctuations. 

HOWEVER, if you are in a CALORIC SURPLUS and are eating that much sugar, you're asking for trouble, because now the extra sugar that spikes you insluin will be shuttling the EXCESS calories into fat sells leading to obesity....but its OBESITY that is the main problem.

Edited by Angelo John Gage