SQAAD

Why do we say that the Ego is an illusion?

27 posts in this topic

Why do we say that the ego is an illusion and it doesn't exist when we clearly all have a sense of ownership and doership in our lives?

I am NOT arguing that this "ego" controls our lifes  but it clearly exists. 

Because that way the ego is triggered and easily exposed.

It is easy to identify its nature if it's screaming in your face, so to speak.

The ego is merely just a concept. An illusion to battle illusions. How fitting. 

17 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

Why do we say that the ego is an illusion and it doesn't exist when we clearly all have a sense of ownership and doership in our lives?

That's the thing --- there actually is no do-er.  Thought projects a thinker/doer.

@SQAAD You can answer this question yourself.  Do some serious self inquiry.  Really try to pinpoint what is really you.  

That thing which is behind the eyes...you think you are a being looking out through your eyes..but really do self inquiry and try to pinpoint what that is.  

You will find that it no matter how you try you won't be able to find it.

You are an idea in a Giant Mind.  You can become directly conscious of this.  This mind is a strange loop which created itself. 

It cannot be any other way.  However telling you this is also concept and the only way to grasp it is to embody it.  You must actually extract the idea of you out and you will become pure Being or pure Consciousness or Absolute Infinity.  That is the Giant Mind and that is what you are.  

You just created this idea of you (small you) as a finite possibility to explore as that is what infinity is.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Filter theory of the mind. A concept of Carl Jung, I have heard mentioned by the NDE of a Neurosurgeon. I did have a similar idea of "Why am I me and not you?" What make "my" consciousness unique. Vanity of vanities saith the preacher.

And interestingly an Aldous Huxley theory/Experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_at_Large

Edited by RichardY

55 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

No one has a sense of ownership and doership but you. Right?

If you trust what anyone says, isn't that an illusion?

That's first.

Second, question that sense of ownership and doership, is it really true? If not, isn't that an illusion?

But basically we say that the ego is an illusion because it is not permanent.

@Truth Addict

1 hour ago, Truth Addict said:

Second, question that sense of ownership and doership, is it really true? If not, isn't that an illusion?

I would say that the sense of ownership and doership is real but it's deceptive. 

2 hours ago, SQAAD said:

@Truth Addict

I would say that the sense of ownership and doership is real but it's deceptive. 

Could you please elaborate? I'm a bit confused.

Because in my experience: real + deceptive = illusion.

16 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

I don't think that's convincing.

It feels clearly that I'm the body.

If that's your experience, then that's your experience.

You don't have to agree with others or be convinced of their experiences.

Right now you feel that way, but maybe that feeling is not permanent after all. Just maybe.

6 hours ago, SQAAD said:

Because it's not permanent. We will not live forever in our bodies. This world isn't permanent. Everything is a temporary transformation. That's life. That's ego. That's what ego means. It's embodiment.

It's interesting how in science, they say that if you go to a observatory and look through a powerful telescope connected to a powerful satellite, you could see the beginning of the universe because it's expanding. Some people call it, The Big Bang Theory.

Well, let me tell you this. How can science discover that it is possible to observe that "you" are the biggest entity and "you" can transform back into your ego (body & world)? This is called "enlightenment" (aka, Riding the Ox Backwards). This is a hard observation. It doesn't happen to many people. And, you certainly cannot use a powerful telescope to observe this. :D If this happens to you suddenly and automatically because you tried to live your life to the fullest, it will be very meaningful. It certainly looks like your karma and everything you do in life to contribute to this world counts a lot.

7 hours ago, SQAAD said:

The sense does it really prove anything?

I would say the "ego" exists as in a dream the one who is dreaming exist. Inside the world of the distorded perception, yes, it exist. But since you can tune into other perception which in that the ego doesn´t exist, we say the ego doesnt exist. Since most people who get into this perception say it feels more accurate, then we pick the last perception to decide what is alive and what not xD

@Truth Addict

12 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Could you please elaborate? I'm a bit confused.

Because in my experience: real + deceptive = illusion.

I mean that the sense of doership is real. 

It is as real as it gets.

BUT it appears to be something that it is not. For example this "sense" gives you the illusion that it is the controller of the body & etc. That's why i call it deceptive. 

I would also consider thoughts real & deceptive aswell.

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD Because there really isn't such a thing called the ego when you try to find it. The ego is a bundle of thoughts. When you look for thoughts, the subside and so does the ego mind. So we say the ego is an illusion. The mistake is thinking that you are only ego. 

@SQAAD It's 'real' to you because you identify with it. But only temporarily, till the end of the illusion that here was someone. That's why 'dis-identification' and 'disillusionment' are some other terms used to describe enlightenment. 

17 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

I don't think that's convincing.

It feels clearly that I'm the body.

You mean that you feel the sensation of the body.

What is feeling it ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

2 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Well, consciousness. But that consciousness might be in the brain.

@Mikael89 Or maybe the brain is inside consciousness...

The ego exists... as the illusion that is existence. 

So what is the illusion?...

What is an illusion?

You need to have an enlightenment on what self and existence. 

4 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Maybe, difficult to know. But I think it probably is.

But you can feel the brain too, as a perception.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them