Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Tarpall

Free time is overrated

10 posts in this topic

Unscheduled time is wasted time. Jumping from one activity to the next leads to attention deficit and under achievement. Do one thing at a time. :)

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Fun question, if you had one full day where you had absolutely nothing that needed to be done, how would you schedule it?

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@OctagonOctopus I would run, jump, climb and swim early in the day. And be in nature. And in the middle of the day I would focus on studying things that interest me and practicing skills. And at the end of the day I play video games and watch movies. And after that have a big fancy meal. But I wouldn't do the exact same things every day.

That is your free time is it not?

Free time to me is time where you have no obligation to do anything, and you can do what you please with that. 

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

I used to feel like you but after 4-5 years of working full time and setting up a business and trying to crush goals, you realise that you don't really need to be a workaholic to get your goals done. I took Leo's advice of having a longer time horizon for goals and just allowing myself more free time to do whatever I want. I like taking my wife on a date, doing spiritual work, playing a video game or browsing Youtube etc. 

5 hours ago, kindayellow said:

Free time to me is time where you have no obligation to do anything, and you can do what you please with that.

Free time to me is time that you haven't decided what to do with it. So you end up doing random shit or nothing at all. And you don't have any obligations. If you go to a job it's because you decide to go there.

Edited by Eric Tarpall

Someday, you will push yourself so hard that you will snap.

Some amounts of unscheduled time are going to help you avoid ego backlash.

You want to inject some degrees of spontaneity and authenticity into your life.

Edited by CreamCat

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 0:52 PM, Eric Tarpall said:

Free time to me is time that you haven't decided what to do with it. So you end up doing random shit or nothing at all. And you don't have any obligations. If you go to a job it's because you decide to go there.

That's essentially true. You can structure free time whilst keeping it 'free'. Deciding on a period of solitude, or setting aside an hour to play the xbox.

The gist I get from your opening post is that you don't endorse spontaneous free time, free time when you don't know what you are going to do with yourself from one hour to the next. 

I understand what you're saying but at the same time I think you're underestimating how much unstructured time can be good for your brain. Giving yourself time to play, wander, daydream, listen to music, and chat with friends can put you in a great mental state to be creative or look at situations in a more open way. It's a great stress reliever.

Edited by EternalForest

5 hours ago, CreamCat said:

You want to inject some degrees of spontaneity and authenticity into your life.

As long as you decide when to do that, that's fine. 

1 hour ago, studentofthegame said:

The gist I get from your opening post is that you don't endorse spontaneous free time, free time when you don't know what you are going to do with yourself from one hour to the next. 

Exactly. That's what I mean.

1 hour ago, EternalForest said:

Giving yourself time to play, wander, daydream, listen to music, and chat with friends can put you in a great mental state to be creative or look at situations in a more open way. It's a great stress reliever.

I know but you can decide when to do those things. You don't want to do those things all day. 

57 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Do I understand this correctly?

Exacto mundo.