Feel Insignificant About My Interests

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:

I have been looking for my "passion" for the last couple months and found that I have several interests, only problem is they feel very insignificant in comparison with self-actualization. I like drawing, writing, software development, invention/creation, etc... but they feel so insignificant that I just don't want to do them anymore because I feel like "What's the point?".  

Edit 1#: I probably feel this way because in the past I was pursuing Absolute Truth but then I stopped because I encountered very great resistance (internal) and many obastacles (external) and so I just pussied out and quit..

Am I having the wrong attitude towards this situation?  What should I do?

Thanks very much.

Edit 2#: Hello everybody. I have solved this issue by realizing that I do not want just Truth or just Self-Actualizion but that I want both of them together in my life. No need for further responses. Again, thank you all who responded, I appreciate that.

Edited by 123456789
Clarified

[insert quote here]

Maybe you have depression. One of its classic signs is loss of interest. 

9 minutes ago, 123456789 said:

I like drawing, writing, software development, invention/creation, etc... but they feel so insignificant that I just don't want to do them anymore because I feel like "What's the point?".  

Conversely, I'd ask you, "What's the point of self-actualization"? And more further, what is your idea of self-actualization? Reach a divine-like state and feel eternal bliss? If so, that's a very unrealistic expectation. 

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Btw - Have you read more about the hierarchy of needs, by Abraham Maslow?

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

Finding a thing you're passionate about and doing it is a part of self-actualization process, they are not separate

Edited by Hello from Russia

18 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

Maybe you have depression. One of its classic signs is loss of interest. 

Conversly, I'd ask you, "What's the point of self-actualization"? And more further, what is your idea of self-actualization? Reach a divine-like state and feel eternal bliss? If so, that's a very unrealistic expectation. 

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Btw - Have you read more about the hierarchy of needs, by Abraham Maslow?

@Gabriel Antonio Hello gabriel. Thank you. I am certainly not depressed. And yes I am aware of Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs and that's exactly what I am trying to take care of right now, the career/LP part. 

My definition of self actualization is: to achieve my highest possiblities and live the greatest life that I can live. (this definition includes Absolute Truth) For me, the point of self-actualization is that I am a finite creature with a finite lifetime and that I can achieve my greatest possiblities, what coud be better than this? (Excluding "Reaching a divine-like state and feeling eternal bliss" :D)

[insert quote here]

11 hours ago, 123456789 said:

I am a finite creature with a finite lifetime and that I can achieve my greatest possiblities

?????