Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EmptyInside

Any Terence McKenna Fans?

14 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan of Terence McKenna. I'm sure there are a few others on this forum. Some of his insights were pretty far out there for me but who am I to judge? Many of his insights were deeply profound. I do believe he touched something that very few people have touched. Maybe Leo, maybe a few others, but not many. Was curious to see what some of your favorite TM quotes are. There are so many that I love, but one in particular always gives me chills. It's this one:

“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering it's a feather bed.”

Anyone else love this quote? If so, what does "the abyss" mean to you? There is an "abyss" in "the hero's journey".  I tend to think of it that way or also as "the shadow". But the word "abyss" can mean so many things to so many different people, just wondering what your interpretation is.

"It can't be that lame, you know?" Terence McKenna

I'm a fan. He had a wonderful way with words. Almost poetic.

I love this one:

"Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong."

-- Terence McKenna

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Why am I not surprised by that? Lol. He did indeed.

Absolutely. I love that one too. 

Edited by EmptyInside

Just watched this. Wasn't disappointed.

"If you want to see the magic of life and the reality of synchronicty, start paying attention to numbers."

Terrence.

@JohnnyBravo Nice. I love the quote. I used to pay attention to numbers. I almost went insane ?

How about this one?

“Only psychos and shamans create their own reality”

― Terence McKenna

He had a great sense of humor. 

Edited by EmptyInside

Culture Is Not Your Friend 

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

"Death by astonishment" always cheers me up lol. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

No takers on the "What does 'the abyss' mean to you?" question? Why does that kinda hurt a little? Lol. Oh well. 

I'm always moved by his speaking. Watched this the other way - such a beautiful expression of non-duality

@SaWaSaurus Same here. He was truly gifted in so many ways. One of the things I love most about Terence is that he didn't just preach open-mindedness, he gracefully embodied it. Thank you for sharing the video. I'm listening to it now.