Matt8800

The Occult/Energy Work/Magick

80 posts in this topic

Ive seen a lot of questions lately regarding magick. I have been studying the occult/magick for the last 6 months and this is what I have found:

After studying Buddhism and Yoga very intensely for several years, my "inner guru" led me to realize that my next step of spiritual evolution was going to involve energy work. Yoga has very powerful energy work (magic) but one is not going to learn very much unless they follow a guru. If you do follow a guru, you may find out many years later that energy work is not his strength and learn very little. Taoism is very powerful magic but is still somewhat limited in its uses and difficult for a westerner to fully grasp and master.

The occult is energy work on steroids. I dont think any traditions can touch it in that arena. A lot of people would disagree but that is simply because there is a weird bias in the west that true spirituality can only be found in the east. 

The philosophy is a bit different than Buddhism or Yoga. Rather than claiming the physical world is "unspiritual" and that one should just dissolve the self and wait for death/liberation, Occultists believe that the physical world is created by the divine and should be mastered and engaged in like all the other realms in a process of eternal spiritual evolution. They believe one must dissolve the ego identification by seeing through the mechanism of the ego. They use the ego as a tool, created by the divine, for  divine purposes. They believe in observing the mechanism of the ego through meditation and disassociating from the aspects that are animalistic or of lower vibration. Once one has fully broken their identification with the ego, they can discover their True Will of their higher Self/soul. The True Will is generally associated with looking outward to how you can serve other beings for their greater good. High Magic is employed for the purpose of achieving ones True Will and spiritual purification/evolution. 

Energy work in all the traditions I have studied (Taoism, Yoga, Buddism, Kabbalah) involve intense visualization, breathwork, rituals, concentration and certain physical movements. The occult has pretty much of what they all have but a lot more imo.

Magick/the occult incorporates a lot of Kabbalah/Jewish mysticism into its ultimate view of God/reality. There is also a lot of philosophy that is incorporated from hermeticism, which is an amalgam of greek, egyptian and pagan mysticism. 

I would highly suggest just sticking to High Magick, which is for the purpose to become one with the divine. I also do some rituals for health and prosperity because both can be used to help meet my spiritual goals. Despite what many say, there is nothing spiritual about weakness, poverty and sickness. With that said, be VERY careful with using the occult for prosperity. That can very easily solidify and inflate the ego. Keep your intentions based in love and that will guide you. Stay vigilant about not feeding the ego's animal selfish side by carefully observing the present moment.

Personally, I have combined what I have learned from Buddhism, Yoga and the Occult. For me, it is a complete spiritual practice. I also incorporate a lot of psychedelics into mediation and magic, which is very powerful.

If you want your have the experience of seeing your chakras light up like a christmas tree, magick is definately a way to do it. It didnt take me long to being able to have powerful experiences of moving energy around me and through me. I Iearned quickly how to identify "bad" energy and replace with "good" energy and all its many possible uses. (me meditating 1-1.5 hours a day for the last 3 years was a factor). You can also envoke the powers of archangels for various reasons.

My significant other doubted whether magic was real. We did a ritual to summon an arch angel and the angel appeared. Im not going to go into too much detail about what happened but it was an extremely powerful and beautiful experience. Lets just say my significant other is now totally on board with magick. 

Magick is a tool. It can be used for "good" or "bad". Whatever you use it for, it amplifies greatly. 

Edited by Matt8800

10 minutes ago, The Blind Sage said:

Could you share the resources you found to learn all of this please?

@The Blind Sage The first book I stumbled upon was High Magick written by Damien Echols. I first saw him on a Buddha at the Gas Pump interview on youtube and I became intrigued. 

There is also a book called Modern Magic - 12 Lessons in high magic which is basically a beginners handbook that can take someone quite far.

Terence McKenna did some great talks found on youtube about alchemy (another word associated with occult) and the occult.

Edited by Matt8800

The Kybalion has some occult teachings in it? Did you read it?

I have the pdf and I want to read it, I need to finish Nis "I am that" and Open secret by Wei wu wei.

After I read those I think I will continue reading the Kybalion

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

6 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

The Kybalion has some occult teachings in it? Did you read it?

I have the pdf and I want to read it, I need to finish Nis "I am that" and Open secret by Wei wu wei.

After I read those I think I will continue reading the Kybalion

@abrakamowse I know a bit about it but havent read it. The Corpus Hermetica also has a lot of old teachings which form the backbone of occult philosophy.

Just to shock and enlighten people,

Well known in the martial arts community that Bruce Lee was using Majick. Oh yes he was. Heavy practitioner of occult practises all the time on a daily basis.

Not relevant to your question but relevant to Majick.

Edited by JohnnyBravo

Taoism doesn't involve nor has ever advocated visualisation.

Please reference this to prove me wrong.

4 hours ago, JohnnyBravo said:

Taoism doesn't involve nor has ever advocated visualisation.

Please reference this to prove me wrong.

@JohnnyBravo While there may be some Taoist techniques that do not use visualization, any magic in Taoism always involves visualization. Energy work/magic that does not involve visualization is impotent. 

https://healingtaousa.com/articles/a-history-of-early-daoist-visualization/

https://daoistgate.com/learn/daoism/

"Complete Perfection Daoists are traditionally celibate, live exclusively in monasteries, and practice “internal alchemy” which seeks to refine the body through breathing exercises, meditation, and visualization practices."

The three pillars of powerful magic are breath-work, concentration and visualization. 

The visualization part is usually something that only a Taoist master will teach directly to his student (same with Yoga), which is why the west usually practices a weak form of Taoism. People can hurt themselves and others if they learn how to use the fuel of magic without being able to control it.

The only Taoist master I know that has communicated these visualization techniques publicly through books is Mantek Chia. He discloses in his books that practicing the techniques without a teacher could be dangerous. The occult is different because one can learn how to use magic powers safely and properly because of the way the techniques are taught in the West through written word.

In the past few years, Taoist masters in China have become extremely interested in western occult. Its spreading like fire in Asia.

Edited by Matt8800

14 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

@The Blind Sage The first book I stumbled upon was High Magick written by Damien Echols. I first saw him on a Buddha at the Gas Pump interview on youtube and I became intrigued. 

There is also a book called Modern Magic - 12 Lessons in high magic which is basically a beginners handbook that can take someone quite far.

Terence McKenna did some great talks found on youtube about alchemy (another word associated with occult) and the occult.

Today i read high magick, 72 pages in and i am impressed, eventhough most of technique i know and heard about it from many sources but book gave me little more motivation to start practise.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Harikrishnan Like anything else, its all about regular practice. I have incorporated some of the rituals in my daily routine and I have felt huge changes in my energy. My energy is balanced, charged and flowing without blockages. I wish I could think of words to describe it but its made a big difference in my life and my spiritual evolution. I feel like my spirituality just took a huge leap forward.

You have proven me wrong.

Although that is earliest Taoism when schools were existent.

Taoism to me is such a secular philosophy just with different terminology for living things and life.

Its my fav religion.

@Matt8800 I'm also into the occult for the same reasons as you. I had very little success with meditation and self inquiry. Overall it was just too boring for me and nothing really was happening apart from some nice bliss moments. 

I have a really nice book on the occult: The sacred tradition of ancient egypt Could you (and everyone else) please share resources and your experiences using and practicing the resources? People on here tend to be very much into Buddhism and Zen and more traditional routes. These leaves people like us with a lack of resources and support. So lets build it up!

My experience practising ancient Egypt has been very moving. I started practising ancient egypt rituals a year ago, the biggest impact it had on me was my creativity, I was able to tap into infinite intelligence(much like the one described in Leo's video) using the riturals practiced in Ancient Egypt. I've had deep deep visions of engineering and science creations, and completely different perspectives of laws of physics which are totally different to Newtonian and Quantum physics. 

Its given my a deep life purpose, one to build a highly conscious society that is deeply in touch with intuition and the essence of science(essence of science = exploration + observation). 

35 minutes ago, JohnnyBravo said:

You have proven me wrong.

Although that is earliest Taoism when schools were existent.

Taoism to me is such a secular philosophy just with different terminology for living things and life.

Its my fav religion.

I agree that there is a lot of beauty and truth in Taosim.

There are a lot of similarities between Taosim and the Occult. The Occult borrows heavily from Kabbalah and its tree of life. The tree of life is a representation of many things but one big representation is between polarities of divine attributes. It says that beauty and divine expression happen when there is balance. It is very similar to the concept of yin and yang.

40 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

@Matt8800 I'm also into the occult for the same reasons as you. I had very little success with meditation and self inquiry. Overall it was just too boring for me and nothing really was happening apart from some nice bliss moments. 

I have a really nice book on the occult: The sacred tradition of ancient egypt Could you (and everyone else) please share resources and your experiences using and practicing the resources? People on here tend to be very much into Buddhism and Zen and more traditional routes. These leaves people like us with a lack of resources and support. So lets build it up!

My experience practising ancient Egypt has been very moving. I started practising ancient egypt rituals a year ago, the biggest impact it had on me was my creativity, I was able to tap into infinite intelligence(much like the one described in Leo's video) using the riturals practiced in Ancient Egypt. I've had deep deep visions of engineering and science creations, and completely different perspectives of laws of physics which are totally different to Newtonian and Quantum physics. 

Its given my a deep life purpose, one to build a highly conscious society that is deeply in touch with intuition and the essence of science(essence of science = exploration + observation). 

@electrobeam I would strongly encourage you to keep up your daily meditation practice. It is the foundation upon which everything else in the Occult is built. I believe (and many other people believe) someone's success in working with energy/magic will be strongly affected by how much they have mastered their mind. We must see past the illusion of identification with the ego before we can know who/what we really are. Without meditation, its virtually impossible to escape the orbit of the ego.

All traditions that work with energy have meditation as a critical component. It is necessary to develop the concentration needed. I can sit for as long as I want now with absolutely no thoughts. All my previous meditation work is paying huge dividends with my work now in the occult. I still meditate every day, no matter what.

If you want a good meditation technique, try kasina meditation. You simultaneously develop your concentration and visualization ability. Kasina mediation is where you visualize a specific shape with a specific color and hold your attention on it.

Many occultists overlook meditation and go straight to the energy work techniques. This is like trying to run a marathon without ever exercising or eating right prior.

I would recommend studying how Kabbalah and the Tree of Life fit it with the occult. This is a critical spiritual component and needed for enlightenment in the Occult path imo. Both subjects can be very complex so one must be dedicated to its study but its worth it!

Edited by Matt8800

@Matt8800 yep it certainly is, but meditation isn't the only way to quiet the mind. Kriya yoga does the job just as well, if not better(which is the foundational practice I use). Also there is an entirely different form of spiritual practice called Tantra. It was invented by the Siddhis in Sri Lanka, and its a practice that doesn't require meditation as a foundation... instead its a practice that competes with meditation. The tantric way(also what I practice) is a totally different form of spiritual practice. I acknowledge that meditation can benefit people in remarkable ways, but having said that, some people out there aren't designed for meditation and self inquiry. They need tantric and kriya yoga techniques instead. Its beautiful how there are so many spiritual techniques, that no matter your strengths and weaknesses, you will find one that works. 

I’m so glad there’s finally a down to earth discussion on this forum about this matter. So for one, thank you @Matt8800

Does the occult sciences relate to say how say certain temples were consecrated? Particularly with things like lingams and what not? I’ve heard  Sadhguru talk about this a lot but of course, keeps tight lipped when it comes to what that process entails and what that science actually is but he’s said things like lingas and temples and what not are all about transferring energy into an object and keeping it locked in there. Does this relate to what you’re talking about?

How can I learn more about this? Do you think books are sufficient?

Here’s a great video on Breaking Convention 

@kieranperez Creating temples is actually quite complicated. It’s actually a core component of my LP so if you get any resources pls share.

pythagoras was the inventor of the cosmos. Cosmos is law and order. There are laws in the universe such as Newtonian physics, but also inner laws like the law of non duality. The laws are consistent. Isn’t that a blessing? Imagine if they weren’t. The laws are consistent because of pythagoras’ invention of the cosmos. Don’t take consistency for granted.

To build a temple requires you to embody the principle of a cosmos. Then you incarcerate those principles into gods form. This is what a temple is.

the ancient Egyptians knew this, hence pyramids we’re formed.

3 hours ago, electroBeam said:

@Matt8800 yep it certainly is, but meditation isn't the only way to quiet the mind. Kriya yoga does the job just as well, if not better(which is the foundational practice I use). Also there is an entirely different form of spiritual practice called Tantra. It was invented by the Siddhis in Sri Lanka, and its a practice that doesn't require meditation as a foundation... instead its a practice that competes with meditation. The tantric way(also what I practice) is a totally different form of spiritual practice. I acknowledge that meditation can benefit people in remarkable ways, but having said that, some people out there aren't designed for meditation and self inquiry. They need tantric and kriya yoga techniques instead. Its beautiful how there are so many spiritual techniques, that no matter your strengths and weaknesses, you will find one that works. 

If Zen type meditation dosent work for you then try Mantra meditation, not the western one where a word is given and chant that word try Indian real mantra of rishis chanting Vedic mantra like Gayatri, or of other deities like Ganesha,shiva or any. And imaginig them and concentrating upon there might help you.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Temples where created o the basis of Tantra, in india. According to Tantra(i heard this ) temples are human bodies or based on human bodies. It is not a place of workship.

Edited by Harikrishnan