Viking

I think everyone should take a break from spirituality and self development sometimes

8 posts in this topic

Recently ive stopped filling my mind with spirituality and self development. By that i mean i stopped using the forum, stopped watching spiritual videos, stopped reading books, stopped journaling, didn't stop meditating however.

Counterintuitively, I noticed that my understanding of spirituality and self development has increased dramatically compared to to when i was studying this stuff.

The reason for that I think is that i got out of the thinking patterns i was stuck in when studying spirituality and self development, so i was sensitive enough to look at life from different perspectives, so the knowledge i gained from studying integrated better.

this is not like "Theory vs practice" that Leo has made a video on, the point of which was to study theoretical concepts and then practice them in daily life. here im talking about abandoning completely self development thinking patterns, during the "practice period" too.

Quite impossible if one is really living on the other side...

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I havent read a spiritual book in a while, self-inquiry seems to be enough. More than enough. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I just keep a loose understanding of spirituality...I actually like it when I'm confused about "spiritual" stuff. Just your phrase "filling my mind with spirituallity" raised a little bit of worry for me because spirituallity cannot be known in the mind...I find that I need to surrender to not knowing and just trust that I will start to realise that I existed before knowledge. What I am is always here, so all I have to do is observe what can be removed from me without causing me to be removed. All spirituallity is a lie, and enlightenment is this realisation. There is no seeker. These are my insights. 

Also...I have to say, do not believe what I said (trap)

@Viking this has helped me too. To end all the theorizing that comes with learning all of this work is often what leads to even deeper Insights 

it is very healthy to walk away for however long it takes to have experiential growth, especially if you don’t feel like much benefit is coming from this all in sort of focus on spirituality

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

I havent read a spiritual book in a while, self-inquiry seems to be enough. More than enough. 

so what i would do is stop self inquiry and restart it after a few months.

But i think it depends on the level one is at, because at the same time it could kill one's "catching on fire" as shinzen young said. or maybe not, i dont know. i know im not at that level so it doesnt matter for me.