studentofthegame

Mud at the Wall

224 posts in this topic

Still relatively early days with the EMDR and i'll be seeing it through until the end.

In the mean time, more work on the basics. I sleep well most nights and only have the occasional late night. Sleep is a priority.

My eating is now becoming more balanced and moderate and i am eating more fruit and vegetables, cutting down on alcohol and 'treats'. I am still very interested in gut health and have some work to do on that.

Need to increase exercise and after listening to the Huberman Lab podcast, i have learned of the importance of getting sunlight exposure, particularly in the morning soon after the sun has risen. Generally finding out quality information such as this gives me a tremendous boost and fills me with confidence, but of course it's acting on the information that is important and sometimes there is resistance to doing even simple things like making the effort to go outside first thing in the morning. This is what i need to work on.

EMDR has finished for the most part, possibly a few sessions later in the year to wrap it up, but the therapist has left me with some techniques to continue to process traumas by myself. EMDR hasn't been a miracle / lightswitch cure for me but it is another tool in the box. I know without any doubt that a wholistic approach to self-care / therapy / healing / growth / inquiry or whatever other pursuit is the way forwards. And remembering that we are humans not robots and being very kind to ourselves when we slip. Would I recommend EMDR? Yes, it's worth looking into.

These past few months I have established a daily walk in solitude and it has become a very important part of my day. 

However I have been tired lately and I put a lot of it down to being dehydrated, so it's 'back to basics' and re-establishing a habit of carrying a bottle of water around everywhere I go.

Do you know about family constellations? Some people consider it pseudoscience, but I tried recently and it helped a lot. As you say, in the end it's all about applying common sense and self-compassion. Keep it up!

@Gladius  Hi mate. I did look into family constellations after your message. I will update on that when I have spent more time with it. Thanks :)

it was good to catch up and read your updates in your journal. You mentioned things like forgetting certain insights, and occasionally slipping up. These are things that happen to all of us and will continue to do so (this is also a reminder to myself). One of the things i am gradually learning is to accept slip ups and not to let them set me off course. In certain arenas, mistakes are essential parts of the process. 

The point about forgetting is a good one. I believe it is referred to in spiritual texts - 'the forgetting'. It is why reading and re-reading books is valuable, taking notes, having conversations, learning and being inspired. I fell into the trap for many years of reading the information but not acting on it, and then in recent years I have read very little and forgotten a lot of the principles. For me it is about balance. Doing the work but also reading to remember.

Things are well at the moment, but i am working on locking in certain daily habits. And i am trying to keep them very simple.