youngshinzen

Keto - Headaches and nausea

29 posts in this topic

I'm three months in (2 carni, 1 keto) and I've experienced more migraine attacks than before. They occurred twice in 4 days, where as before I had them twice a year. After eating a big meal (OMAD) I feel that the tension in my neck and head increase. I also feel overall discomfort, nausea and rising body temperature. 

Any ideas what the problem is?

try the normal diet without low food quality

high sleep quality 6-8 hours.

sport every 2 days ( cardio )

Don't give a fuck attitude / meditation / stop rat chasing things ( just to find out, but balance is key )

cold shower ? ( not on the head )

smoke weed eventually, work for some people. ( or lower dose of psylo ) 

Can't know what it's coming from with so few data

Edited by Aeris

Need more info. You may be dehydrated, could be mild ketoacidosis, your blood pressure may have risen over past 3 months to, lack of sleep, excess stimulants, histamine response to something you haven't eaten before and are eating now....

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Aeris I want to continue a low carb diet, because it lowers my anxiety. I'm doing everything you mentioned, except for smoking weed.

@Michael569 Dehydration might have been a factor, I've started to drink more and added sea salt to the water. Maybe that helped with the migraine aspect for the past few days.

I broke my fast with this meal:

• 6 high quality eggs
  • 300g of broccoli
  • 15 cubes of feta cheese
  • salad bowl, olive oil, olives, one avocado
  • 300g of chicken breast in coconut oil

Could be overkill, have to do more research on how to get enough calories on OMAD.

I went to sleep afterwards. I didn't get symptoms of heat and nausea. This time when I woke up, there were pretty strong cramps in the stomach area and they spread out in a circular manner. It stopped after half an hour. Blood pressure seems high as I can feel my heart pump harder, I'll measure later. Mood is skinda down and body feels a bit lethargic.

Is ketoacidosis even possible? 

He says it only happens to diabetes patients and a keto diet is far away from achieving such levels.

Sleep is very good, no stimulants used. I have hay fever and to some extent nut allergy. Yesterday I ate a whole bag of macadamias and my lips burned, also the symptoms were much more severe than today.

@youngshinzen  I've put those in cronometer just to see the values and there is just so much screaming right there. I mean, if you want to do carni keto by all means... 

But man.. you are getting 65g of saturated fats, that's like 5 times the recommended threshold.. and 1600mg of Cholesterol while getting tiny dose of Omega 6 and nearly no Omega 3s. I can't comment on how much of that is oxidised cholesterol etc. On the top of that 180g of protein is also quite a lot unless you are an athletic person training on daily basis to achieve gain of muscle. Too little fiber as wll but I know that's not a concern on Keto diets. 

I know many other guys on the forum would say this is perfect....to me this is a "heart disease diet"

So keep experimenting just be careful :)

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Maybe just CBD, seriously I just know that lady gaga got fibromyalgia and is helped by weed. Not the same thing, but it could be used as a medication and temporary treatment, it's not only used for fun and being "high".

if that's really related to diet, why not just create your own diet, with trial and experience, what fits you, what cramps you etc..

do not go to sleep the 3 hours after last meals, always give me sort of cramps ( if I eat something fat/heavy )

2 hours ago, youngshinzen said:

Why do you call it carni keto? Is there a healthy way to do keto and omad in your opinion?

Some people do plant Keto but that seems nearly impossible. I'd say many carnis won't touch plant food. Some because they believe its toxic and other because they can't process it with their messed up digestions. 

Your diet seems a typical Atkin's style high protein, high fat, low carb and fibre. Omad can be helpful in short term or when in conquest of disease or looking to lose weight rapidly but I'm not convinced of the long term benefit....it is definitely not suitable for women as it wrecks their hormonal profile. 

Go to the doctors and get checked!

are you getting all your nutrients? (you can check through cronometer). Eat a variety of food, like some Octopus and Salmon too, not just chicken for that EPA & DHA.

There's also nothing wrong with not going Keto and just go higher-carb like 100g-150g too. Where are you getting your calcium and Vit. D? Try adding some pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds into your life to increase fiber, magnesium, & manganese intake. I get my calcium and Vitamin D through Milk and cheese.

Edited by SgtPepper

@Michael569 Ok thanks.

@Johnny ??

@SgtPepper Yeah, I'll def eat more fish. My doc said everythings fine, but cholesterol is too high (LDL much higher than HDL). I try to eat a minimal amount of cheese and milk to keep my insulin low, I'll add vitamin d supplementary. Thanks for the advice with the seeds.

stop caring about LDL if you trigs are low (<100) and you HDL is high (>60) - and did you fast for at least 12 hours (with no coffee) before the test? 

23 minutes ago, youngshinzen said:

@Michael569 Ok thanks.

@Johnny ??

@SgtPepper Yeah, I'll def eat more fish. My doc said everythings fine, but cholesterol is too high (LDL much higher than HDL). I try to eat a minimal amount of cheese and milk to keep my insulin low, I'll add vitamin d supplementary. Thanks for the advice with the seeds.

really? that's interesting. well, don't be afraid to modify your diet. 

Maybe your answer lies in one of these videos:

It's hard to know for sure what the problem is because it could easily not be related to diet... I'd still visit the doctor for a collaborative effort on maximizing your health.

@youngshinzen @Michael569

Shinzen, I used to eat like you describe, and I also had migraines. Had one that last ten days nonstop. Hospitalized, eyes & ears covered for 8 days. When I changed my diet (and lost weight / exercised) like Michael is describing, never had a migraine again. Been about 20 yrs. Good luck with it. Not easy I know. ??

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

What makes you think this diet is connected to your headaches?

You are 3 months in. Any adjustment pains are over by now.

Yes please more info. And how much water do you consume on a daily basis?

This is normal when you start grounding. Focus your crown into the Spleen, and Pancreas into the nose/forhead to release the pressure in the head.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Ketosis is an emergency system which your body should not be subjected to for long periods of time. Your brain runs on glucose and will turn protein into it via gluconeogenesis. So even though you are not eating carbs for glucose, you're body will produce it naturally to sustain brain activity. Taking a look at our ape ancestors, none of them are on a keto diet and there is no indication of a carnivore only speicies. We are omnivores, so I am totally against eliminating entire food groups because some dude online with no degree in biology said so.

Some people enjoy keto and are well adapted, but if you are not, then don't bother. You should be on a diet in that you enjoy eating and are within a healthy caloric range for your body composition and daily caloric expenditure.

I've done basically every diet and the key factor in ALL of their benefits was because it reduced calories. The only diet that will work is one that you can actually stick to.

yes you can run on ketones, but gluconeogenesis will still occur if the body demands it.

Ketosis still is an emergency system, thus why one must transfer from it. None of our ape ancestors are on keto diets. Why would we be? That is not to say we didn't evolve to eat A LOT of meat and fat due to hunting with tools and cooking with fire, but it is not the 'default' diet for an omnivore. 

Edited by Angelo John Gage

My wife and I are going to do straight carnivore diet for a week or two to reset our insulin sensitivity. In this way, Keto is used strategically to drop water weight, get the body to start burning fat, and make us more sensitive to carbs so we don't need as many. but such a diet is not really sustainable for a normal, social life style, and not so enjoyable ether. Eating Rib Eye steaks 2x a day sounds good and delicious at first, but then gets boring lol.

Edited by Angelo John Gage