peqkno

Ready for LPC? or Relationships first?

3 posts in this topic

Hi.
I'm 20. I have few friends (and little emotional vulnerability with them as of now) and would like to get to know more people and have deeper relationships. More intimacy, vulnerablility, sharing emotions, caring for each other, hugs, cheering you up...
I want to work on that before going on fully with the LPC. I started it already and have slacked off at assessing my values. I want to do the exercises again, and rehearse.
So, do you think pursuing quality relationships as a priority is a wiser choice or really going for the LPC now?

I know Leo said relationships are distractions from doing the work, and I'd probably spend lots of time investing in relationships that ultimately break.
Also I believe that this desire for relationships bubbled up as a form of resistance to doing the LPC (again assessing values).

Build my realtionships, friendships an people skills or 'red hering plus resistance to LPC that I'd better ignore and move on'?

In general: Should you start the LPC when you're comfortable with your relationships?

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

There's no "in general" advice here. 

I'd say intimacy is probably one of your values. Maybe you even uncovered that while doing the course. 

I'd also say, that nurturing good relationships takes months and years. Sure, if you NOW feel like investing more into relationships is a good idea, go do that. But don't suspend the LPC for that long. LPC is not that demanding, you don't have to put the rest of your life on hold. Find time for both, or alternate between the two. 

Edited by Elisabeth

Sometimes doing the opposite of what you are trying to achieve gets you the most results. By working on myself, I've become able to be more compassionate, funnier, happier... And then, when people see that they can open up to me or whatever they are looking for in a friendship, we genuinely build a better relationship from that. Working on myself has also made my current relationships with most of my friends a lot better in my opinion. :)