Annoynymous

A question for Leo on his recent duality video.

66 posts in this topic

I have watched the video for about 50 minutes and a question popped up in my mind.

You have several times mentioned about absolute Good, absolute Should,  absolute Positive. Why there is not any absolute Bad, absolute shouldn't and absolute negative? In this way, it seems like absolute is all about positive affirmation.  

@Annoynymous

Being is positive!

If there wasn't being, that'd be neutral, if it's even possible to talk about non-existence.

But there is something, and it's not nothing.

How could existence be negative?!

Edited by Truth Addict

Because without a self, nothing is bad.

When you realize you are immortal and infinite (the Absolute), you will be in literal heaven, where nothing bad exists. Heaven is an Absolute!

Once your perspective of life becomes absolutely holistic, you will literally not be able to see bad any more. You will realize that "bad" is a fictitious concept. You will realize there was only absolute Good.

It's a life-transforming realization. This is how you transcend suffering.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

When you realize you are immortal and infinite (the Absolute), you will be in literal heaven, where nothing bad exists. Heaven is an Absolute!

Once your perspective of life becomes absolutely holistic, you will literally not be able to see bad any more. You will realize that "bad" is a fictitious concept. You will realize there was only absolute Good.

I'm a bit confused on terminology. . . Does the absence of bad leave the reciprocal presence of good? Is the term "good" here being used in the colloquial sense of "not bad"? Or is it being used in a more expansive trans-egoic context? For example, how god and God are used differently as well as self and Self.

My sense here is that without a self, nothing is self-based bad and nothing is self-based good. Then, an Absolute Good reveals itself. Yet, I'm not sure if this is a correct understanding.

Like I explained in the Understanding Duality episode, good and bad are relative whereas Good is the transcendent absolute.

The transcendence of good/bad does not leave you in a neutral place the way most people would imagine. It puts you in Heaven.

Similar to how the trascendence of science and religion does not leave you with agnosticism, it makes you God!

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Like I explained in the Understanding Duality episode, good and bad are relative whereas Good is the transcendent absolute.

The transcendence of good/bad does not leave you in a neutral place the way most people would imagine. It puts you in Heaven.

Similar to how the trascendence of science and religion does not leave you with agnosticism, it makes you God!

Good stuff. Thanks for this. I am very fascinated how it results in absolute good and not neutrality. 

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Thank you. 

What do you think about murder being fundamentally bad? It's all I can think of.

You will realize there was only absolute Good.

Is this how a few monks transcended self-immolation? Burning oneself is good?

Edited by CreamCat

24 minutes ago, Druid420 said:

What do you think about murder being fundamentally bad? It's all I can think of.

Murder being bad is an example of relative bad.

We demonize this stuff because it doesn't fit our agenda.

Relative good/bad is useful to help you craft the life you want, but it is not 'fundamentally' bad. 

12 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Murder being bad is an example of relative bad.

We demonize this stuff because it doesn't fit our agenda.

Relative good/bad is useful to help you craft the life you want, but it is not 'fundamentally' bad. 

I don't know if murder is only relatively bad though is what I am saying. 

33 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Is this how a few monks transcended self-immolation? Burning oneself is good?

The fact of feeling anything is good so feeling oneself burn cannot be bad.

Edited by Druid420

22 minutes ago, Druid420 said:

Without a self thinking "murder is bad", what remains?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Does becoming spiritualy awake make one apathetic and complacent to unjust and "devilish" actions taken as a result of unconsciousness that result in pain towards others? 

Like Hitler killing millions of innocent people in the gas chambers because of his delusional beliefs or the Saudi genocide in Yemen a more recent example killing many innocents including children? 

Because meanwhile it is technically true that the ultimate nature of reality is Good (concuousness / Brahman), that doesn't mean that empathy for those who are suffering and working towards a fully awake human community living as one in harmony peace egalitarianism and altruism suddenly get canceled even if it looks like a tall order now.

Edited by Peter124

16 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Without a self thinking "murder is bad", what remains?

Like what?

14 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Like what?

I don’t know. We would each need to observe for ourselves. 

1 hour ago, Druid420 said:

It cannot be intellectually understood,

1 hour ago, Druid420 said:

If you are dreaming, and then become lucid (lucid dreaming) is it bad if someone is killed in the dream , would you care ?

2 hours ago, Druid420 said:

There is no such thing as bad, AT ALL! Bad is an egoic delusion.

Anything which exists is Absolutely Good. Murder included and anything else you can conjure up.

Without an ego you would not be bothered by murder.

Think of it this way: from the perspective of the universe as a whole, nothing can be bad because there is nothing outside the universe to contrast it with. This is one of the radical consequences of ONENESS.

1 hour ago, Peter124 said:

Does becoming spiritualy awake make one apathetic and complacent to unjust and "devilish" actions taken as a result of unconsciousness that result in pain towards others? 

Like Hitler killing millions of innocent people in the gas chambers because of his delusional beliefs or the Saudi genocide in Yemen a more recent example killing many innocents including children? 

No, it makes you understand that all such things are necessary aspects of Absolute Good. You do not become apathetic. You are filled with unconditional love. The love is so deep it may seem like apathy from an egoic perspective because the ego confuses selfishness with love.

Because meanwhile it is technically true that the ultimate nature of reality is Good (concuousness / Brahman), that doesn't mean that empathy for those who are suffering and working towards a fully awake human community living as one in harmony peace egalitarianism and altruism suddenly get canceled even if it looks like a tall order now.

It's easy for the ego-mind to see Absolute Love and spiritual detachment as apathy. It only appears that way because the ego-mind is so attached.

Absolute Love requires detachment because so long as you are attached to anything, your love is highly partial. You cannot love the whole world from a position of attachment. Anything you are attached to means you can't love its opposite. If you are attached to peace, you cannot love war. If you are attached to love, you cannot love hate. If you are attached to justice, you cannot love injustice. If you attached to beauty you cannot love the ugly. Etc. Absolute Love loves EVERYTHING! No exceptions. Anything you don't or can't love, that's ego being scared and selfish.

So you should distinguish between dualistic love (what most people call love) and nondual Love, which knows no opposite and has no boundary.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

There is no such thing as bad, AT ALL! Bad is an egoic delusion.

Anything which exists is Absolutely Good. Murder included and anything else you can conjure up.

Without an ego you would not be bothered by murder.

No, it makes you understand that all such things are necessary aspects of Absolute Good. You do not become apathetic. You are filled with unconditional love. The love is so deep it may seem like apathy from an egoic perspective because the ego confuses selfishness with love.

It's easy for the ego-mind to see Absolute Love and spiritual detachment as apathy. It only appears that way because the ego-mind is so attached.

Absolute Love requires detachment because so long as you are attached to anything, your love is highly partial. You cannot love the whole world from a position of attachment. Anything you are attached to means you can't love its opposite. If you are attached to peace, you cannot love war. If you are attached to love, you cannot love hate. If you are attached to justice, you cannot love injustice. If you attached to beauty you cannot love the ugly. Etc. Absolute Love loves EVERYTHING! No exceptions. Anything you don't or can't love, that's ego being scared and selfish.

So you should distinguish between dualistic love (what most people call love) and nondual Love, which knows no opposite and has no boundary.

In the event that humanity become more spiritually evolved I anticipate that we will learn to cease to make arbitrary distinctions and seperation like race gender religion ethnicity social status superiority inferiority which enforces the dualistic world view. 

Since love means acceptance and understanding, I suppose one would basically be in a state of delusion to not accept that things like war do happen and will likely not be abolished by us without a major evolution in our understanding of reality and each other as a part of one's ultimate self. Basically a non-dual understanding.

So now it seems that guiding people towards non-duality and encouraging this progression towards ending the judging of others, ending selfishness and ending these imaginary distinctions bewteen other and self will pay dividends. 

If we actually listen and actually move towards that understanding. And it's completely hypothetical rn so I guess best to accept things as is, work on self purification and embody that love and non-dual understanding in my conduct and response towards everything and everyone I in the temorary form come across. 

Because if you in the temorary human form do not judge anyone if you love everyone accept things as they are become completely selfless and forgive every "bad" action, who would you ever commit things like murder theft lying rape and so on against? Nobody I feel to be honest.

Edited by Peter124

@Peter124 Even enlightened beings need to look out for their survival, so there will always be conflict, disagreement, and violence.

If two enlightened people are locked in a cage with no food, one of them will likely eat the other one. This is the nature of survival and it is not wrong. It must be accepted and embraced.

Be careful not to over-idealize or over-romanticize life. People still got to eat, shit, make money, and fuck if society is to exist. Life is Love, but life is also brutal.