ValiantSalvatore

80h work week how to be effective ?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have experience with working 80h a week? How is that manageable/feasible? 

I am currently using a Bullet journal as a schedule, also a normal calendar. Setting up Google Calander is onerous. 

I keep track of habit streaks with a whiteboard.

How do you schedule your day and daily activities? For instance, my day looked like this like today.

9:45 study for class

17:45 break 45min
18:00 - 19:20 work out/gym time
19:20 - 20:20 cooking
20:20 - 22:20 Programming
22:20-23:20 Speed reading
23:20 -23:50 meditation
24:00 bedtime 

I don't schedule work time/classes since they are fixed.

I am overdue with time now since I wanted to write this post and kept thinking if it is going to be worth it or not.

Which planning or scheduling systems do you use? I schedule each day in the morning and have a morning routine. From 06:05 - 08:00 approx. Which includes 30 min meditation, stretching 10min, breakfast, reading news or checking mail while eating, shower, plan the day. ( I don't schedule my morning routine anymore since it is a habit)

A bullet journal is perfect to plan weeks or even months, especially keeping track of dates. Last year I planned each Sunday my whole week and kept looking, with the same process as above. (Which is called Time blocking or Timeboxing IIRC). This took me 30 min approx or longer. 

I am quite tired of not being effective. Any tips for that? I watched the videos from Leo about productivity and such, how to be a result maker. Took notes and reviewed them last week or month or so. 

Other things that I am aware of doing with planning are:

-> Schedule free time

-> Accept when plans do not work out

-> re-schedule during the day

> Ideally attend events but don't socialize randomly ( just read that tip )

-> Important tasks and tasks that need immediate attention.

-> Not doing what is urgent and not important (video games etc)

-> Take a 5 min break every 45 min of studying, then another 0- 15min when I completed another 45 min. 

-> Keeping a daily to-do list in my schedule, to re-arrange the whole plan. 

Questions summary:

How do you plan your day?

Great videos on the topic? (Besides Thomas Frank, Tim Ferris, Leo Gura, casual compilation) 

Is it effective to plan each week in advance?

What are great scheduling systems? 
Other tips on how to be effective with time?

Any experiences with working 70-80h+ a week? How was that handled, which obstacles did you face? 
Any systemic approaches?

Any details missing?

Would love to get an answer from @Joseph Maynor or others who very effective and have a system/plan/schedule in place that works for them.

I think you're doing well although I would make the schedule more flexible by not fixing the time for work and study.

It's not feasible in the long-term. And the deeper question is, why are you interested in working that much at all since work will never make you happy? It clearly shows that you have your priorities backward.

Work is endless. It's an endless game of chasing one's tail. You want your work to be enjoyable and you want to have lots of spare time for spirituality, personal development, and enjoyment of life.

What you want is not effectiveness or success, but consciousness, joy, peace, and health.

Working long hours should only be done for short periods of time for critical strategic purposes, like if you're launching a new business you might work really hard for a year or two, but only because you'll then have more free time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

And the deeper question is, why are you interested in working that much at all since work will never make you happy?

Even when it's your passion?

I’ve been working at least 55 hours a week for the past 2 years and at first it wasn’t a problem, but now I feel miserable regularly.

like Leo has said, work will never make you happy. It’s only in my spare time that I can enjoy life and do what I want. 

But then again, what else are you going to do? It’s a matter of survival.

I’m constantly trying to work smarter, not harder.

Hmm, my approach to being effective is simply have one goal in mind, and do whatever it takes to get there.

Sometimes, it might mean getting up at 03.00 in the morning and working (which I've done). Other times it might mean working for half a day and taking the rest of the day off (which I've also done). I learn that progress isn't measured by distance, but by understanding.

We don't need to fulfill a certain "quota" of work each day, if we are clear about how to reach the goal. On the other hand, it could take years before we succeed, or only months. But how long it takes doesn't matter, what matters is we get there.

For example: would it matter if it took you five more years to become a millionaire than anticipated? Would it frustrate you or disappoint you, if it did? Probably not, at least it wouldn't in my case. As long as I reach the goal, it doesn't matter how much work I do (or don't do).

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

@RawJudah Watch Leo's video on how to escape wage slavery

I'm 18 right, Ive never had any clear idea what I want to do in life because I think I always knew I didn't want to dedicate my life to something I didn't enjoy. My dad has worked in the banking industry for 20 years to provide for us and be the bread winner. He is a total wage slave but he's doing what he has to do to raise his kids and Ive always appreciated how hard he's worked, but he doesn't actually need to do that. But yeah that's swayed me away from dedicating my life to one area of work. And I've never really wanted to face the fact of I'm gonna just have to work half my life doing something I feel indifferent or miserable about. But after Leo's video it's helped me want to look into becoming a life coach.

You need to use your brain creatively to earn a wage, be somebody high value.

But yeah simply watch the video.

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

@CreamCat Doing that most of the time it is difficult for me to schedule although after a year or so I am getting way better at the working structure. I am quite chaotic.

@Leo Gura I received that feedback now twice that I have my priorities backward. Yet, this is quite critical I messed up one semester now and have to do one more, I mostly choose harder courses, since all of this marketing crap was not interesting anymore to me. It is more about accepting degrees of excellence in my own work and developing that, also to be driven, and fueling my passion for the love of learning and curiosity, by having a career, for now, I have to say (besides reading in my spare time or watching infotainment). Which provides me with the chance of taking months to go do other stuff, which I want to include as a service/deed to humanity. The career is software engineering. Also, to prepare for a master to dive deeper into the fields I find enjoyable and fascinating. I visited the Hannovermesser which is the new Cebit last week. I meet and talked to the person how gave me the internship at the research institute there and saw the "new" innovations, and ideas there. The institute was so nice they "offered" us the opportunity to do the practical phase for our studies there, they could give us topics or vice versa. Now, I also have a volunteer project with a professor to dive deeper into android programming, with sensors. I truly want to embody more stage orange aspects, since this is necessary I assume especially in the tech field. I truly want to have a skillset that tackles global issues, yet I am still clueless. The research I saw was mostly about production, helping workers to prevent injuries, robots, automation of processes, and learning/image processing hyper mind the project was called.  I visited 3+ out of 27 halls, the area was vast.

At the same time, I can understand that things are endless, during one LSD trip I closed my eyes and had internal visions of endless battles of colors, forms, structures, shallow images, vague impressions and feelings which always ended in a draw. On every level, there was somehow a draw. 

Yes, I want joy, peace, health and especially love, yet I would also love to give back or work on a project, start-up etc. Which aims to do something for some progress in humanity. I would love to join a political party, for instance, just to see what it is like or work on a research project etc. But no chance in this city. For health, I would need to do more research and move, since the products here are not that advanced. Also, I am partially scheduling retreats, there are no meditation centers here, I basically have to rely upon as being as autonomous as possible.

This is mainly about developing a hardcore work ethic, also to be more effective and efficient in all areas of my life, like relationships, learning, workouts, health, personal growth, emotional growth, spirituality and creating the freedom to pursue all of this financially, etc. The point is I stress myself out a lot and retrograde to being more accepting and content, which is like... society wants to keep you trapped in green. At least here imo.

@RawJudah How do you work smarter? What do you for a living? Feel free to pm! Yes, I agree with the matter of survival, often I do question how survival can be transcended, also how it can be made more pleasant and would love to avoid working in shitty working conditions.

@denydritz Any technique or idea you use that is unusual from the norm in reaching your goals or exactly is the norm but works? I am not by nature an ambitious person, I can be highly energetic and enthusiastic from time to time. Especially with other compassionate people. Any ideas for that besides working with others? I am a bit tired of taking I would love to give something back!

15 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

but don't socialize randomly 

why do you say this?

@kindayellow So you want to be a life coach like everyone else? Good luck with that one! Theres already too many YouTube life coaches out there.

It's incredibly difficult to escape wage slavery, and although I work 55 hours a week I do love the job.

Also, Leo just says it how it is in that video, he doesn't say HOW to do it, otherwise we'd all be financially independent...

@Elia It's a tip from a website. It was about working 80h a week. It is/can be a distraction from one's task or goal. 

Although I appreciate it if some small talk occurs or some normal conversation. It was about meeting up randomly with some friends all the time. 

On 4/8/2019 at 3:41 PM, ValiantSalvatore said:

Would love to get an answer from @Joseph Maynor or others who very effective and have a system/plan/schedule in place that works for them.

*turns hat backwards - takes out pokeball from waistbelt* 

I choose you, @Sahil Pandit!!!

@RawJudah @RawJudah 

No, not a YouTube life coach, a local one in my area

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

On 09/04/2019 at 3:03 AM, Leo Gura said:

It's not feasible in the long-term. And the deeper question is, why are you interested in working that much at all since work will never make you happy? It clearly shows that you have your priorities backward.

Work is endless. It's an endless game of chasing one's tail. You want your work to be enjoyable and you want to have lots of spare time for spirituality, personal development, and enjoyment of life.

What you want is not effectiveness or success, but consciousness, joy, peace, and health.

Working long hours should only be done for short periods of time for critical strategic purposes, like if you're launching a new business you might work really hard for a year or two, but only because you'll then have more free time.

that's why I even slow down on music work, I still do my hour everyday ( or more )

I just live life at my pace.

Reading, even flirting this year ( woaw, for a late sex boi like me )

I just projected the idea of being "Trump" and how "unhappy" I would be. So much monney so much fake love, fake friends, fake life and everything. ( or maybe I m projecting )

HO YES ULTIMATE MONNEY ALL CHOICE AVAILABLE !! SO MUCH FREEDOM, THAT S WHY I WORK SO HARD FOR THE PUSSIES

while you created the perfect caged world on yourself. You missed everything, no real love, no real friends etc etc..

being billionnaire with a smile is the only truth, every time your teeth grind, you didn't worked hard enough to see it was pointless to work hard to the point of almost physically die. We run for monney for happiness, but without health, no amount of monney will makes us happy.

That's only my view, but whatever, if you think a billion is better with a stomach cancer. go get it

And I did drug more hard than modafinil mixed with others to work even more and sleep on command, for a almost 3 years, I did close to the 10k hours in less than 4 years, only for the software, without counting the 10k learning aside for this project.

working hard for 4 years has been benefitial, it was my love for art and my fear for having a "borring shitty job". so sorry I didn't worked my ass off at 6 and not at 21, you cannot get the life of anyone else though.

now I live my way, I don't live from art right now, but I will, monney is absolutely not a thing right now ( I wish a bit more, but each thing at his time ). There is this feeling inside me, I will be "rich" anyway and even if that's never it's fine aswell. ( kind of view ), even with my ass on the back of the couch it will happen anyway, because working is all I know anyway, it's my breath, I have been the biggest lazy pack of shit gamer until 21, so after I become addicted to learn and improve, it's my new addiction to being

Edited by Aeris

@Aeris In what did you invest the 10k hours in do you think it was worth it? Or could you have taken a smoother route? 

totaly worth it. Cause I didn't do it for the end result but for the present result in the act of learning & improving.

no smoother route, the more you work, the more you learn the hard way, and you start to love it this way

Edited by Aeris