diamondpenguin

Music Career

17 posts in this topic

Hey everybody I been starting up a music career in my mom's basement. Any ideas on how to get it all going? 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

Practice 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Go out and introduce yourself to as many people in the industry as possible. It's all about who knows you. Open your life up to the possibility that someone will offer you something amazing

Production skills;

Learn how to mix and master your own material. Or count on investing in a good producer. Your ideas might be grand, unique or even ground-breaking, but if they sounds like crap; nobody will enjoy it. Your mix needs to be pleasant to the common ear and stand up to today's production standards. Or possibly transcend them. 

Promotion skills;

You gotta put your stuff out there. Thank God you live in the era of internet. Much easier nowadays. But also; competition is huge. You gotta stick out, in some way or fashion. 

Find your niche. Your audience. Start building a fanbase. Slowly, gradually. Progressively, constantly. Get in touch with the people who dig your music often. Interact. Show interest in their opinions. Show appreciation, gratitude. Value their loyalty. They are your followers. Your army. And they will also, hopefully, buy your music and make you rich, lol.

Collaborate

Collabs are a great possibility for you to gain attention from fans that are already subscribed to a successful artist. Send them your material. Propose for a collab. Be nice and professional. 

Live performance

Gotta hit the stage; sooner or later. People love hearing artists live. Work on your stage presence, charisma, connection with the audience. They gotta remember you. Be yourself.

Do not give up!

Not an easy road. You will have your ups and downs. It can get devastating. Especially if you decide to go with self-promotion. But you must persist. Believe in your talent. It is to be shared with the whole world.

Practice, learn, grow.

Be dedicated.

If you are good, then you will figure it out. If not you will always look up to others musicians.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Side job will be selling drug mostly, and it will become your number one income ":P" ( I don't sell drug, but if there was no welfare, I wouldn't care selling drugs ) pharmacy do it and own the market since years, feeding children with synthetic cokaïne renamed on a psychiatric mindfuck to the idiotics mongs parents.

ofc, my situation would be fair to sell even heroïne than working in a hotel slavery shit job. You can aswell sell what pharmacy gives you, it's making some shadow to street drug recently, unfair dealer.

Everyday is a life victory, fuck the cops 

when someone sell you a crappy games, play by your rules.

ho yes we were talking about income in music.

work hard, work even hard, pray god to give you the strenght to work harder.

don't hope for a job in music, I think that's mostly the fruit of passion and pure dedication, it's not a factory, aside you should be committed like in a factory

Edited by Aeris

Spend  a lot of time trying to build rarer and valuable skills. Spend a lot of time between Theory and Deliberate practice(very specific type of practice). By books on music theory and practice them. A good teacher also is really helpful. Start with the fundamentals. Study the best in your fields.

Edited by BjarkeT

Look up these youtubers they can help you

Curtiss King TV

Damian Keyes

and then check the recommended 

you need to learn the basics of Marketing, Niche etc oh and creative psychology, what gives you writers block, what inspires you, what makes you persist etc

Dont look at me! Look inside!

There is only one of two things - either talent or a lot of work.

8 minutes ago, John_Webb said:

There is only one of two things - either talent or a lot of work.

Talent without work doesn’t get you anywhere. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

8 hours ago, Rilles said:

Talent without work doesn’t get you anywhere. 

Talent is relative and mainly when you focus on the life/career or background of someone with talent, you see two things,

talent is very relative and situational, when you dig for talent, you find hard effort + passion

a "good piece of art" is relative to his current context.

I don't believe in talent, I believe that there is people with more passion.

Everyone thank you so much for the advice. I will put it to good use. It looks like it's gonna take a lot of effort and passion. I have made 9 songs already and am looking to copyright my songs so that I can get a check in the mail from them getting streamed and also so i can put them on itunes, spotify, and pandora. Gonna keep getting better and better.

Edited by diamondpenguin
didn't put all info I wanted

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

Just remember that not everything you make will be "good" by your own standards, but everything you make will teach you something new and valuable, especially if you're trying to wrap your head around a new idea and put it into your songs. I go by a 10% rule, which is to say that 90% of what I make will be either okay, decent or total shit and the other 10% will be my best, truly inspired work. The more you create, incorporate new ideas from other sources and the more songs you finish, the better your 90% will be. 

And for networking, the best thing you can do is befriend and collaborate with people who are better than you and who are putting themselves out there and are getting opportunities. Be a good hang, easy to work with, good at what you do and people will probably want to work with you. Also be mindful of the "route" that you are taking. If you want to play in a band, meet people at shows in your town or in a nearby city where there's music happening and get good at playing your instrument and writing songs. If you want produce music on a laptop, reach out to people on Instagram and other social media platforms if you like their music and see if they're down to collaborate. 

These are just some ideas off the top of my head, see what works for you!

Study the greats, read autobiographies and biographies of Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Elton John. Get a taste of what it takes to be a revolutionary musician. Then drop acid a couple times, tour with an album, meet girls, and travel the world.

And DONT FOCUS ON COPYWRITE AND PERFECTION. JUST WRITE A SONG A WEEK FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, THATS HOW PASSION IS MADE

On 4/25/2019 at 3:48 AM, ivankiss said:

Production skills;

Learn how to mix and master your own material. Or count on investing in a good producer. Your ideas might be grand, unique or even ground-breaking, but if they sounds like crap; nobody will enjoy it. Your mix needs to be pleasant to the common ear and stand up to today's production standards. Or possibly transcend them. 

Promotion skills;

You gotta put your stuff out there. Thank God you live in the era of internet. Much easier nowadays. But also; competition is huge. You gotta stick out, in some way or fashion. 

Find your niche. Your audience. Start building a fanbase. Slowly, gradually. Progressively, constantly. Get in touch with the people who dig your music often. Interact. Show interest in their opinions. Show appreciation, gratitude. Value their loyalty. They are your followers. Your army. And they will also, hopefully, buy your music and make you rich, lol.

Collaborate

Collabs are a great possibility for you to gain attention from fans that are already subscribed to a successful artist. Send them your material. Propose for a collab. Be nice and professional. 

Live performance

Gotta hit the stage; sooner or later. People love hearing artists live. Work on your stage presence, charisma, connection with the audience. They gotta remember you. Be yourself.

Do not give up!

Not an easy road. You will have your ups and downs. It can get devastating. Especially if you decide to go with self-promotion. But you must persist. Believe in your talent. It is to be shared with the whole world.

Practice, learn, grow.

Be dedicated.

This is sound advice!

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions