Eric Tarpall

Is the food pyramid wrong?

27 posts in this topic

I've been eating more red meat, liver, salmon, cheese and eggs lately. All supposedly bad foods. But I feel healthier now than I've ever felt before. So I'm definitely going to keep eating these foods. Before this I ate very little animal products and I felt terrible. 

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

the traditional food pyramid is a joke basing majority of your calories from pastries, rapidly absorbable carbohydrates and processed grains simply to make sure people are not starving. It is not a model to thrive but to achieved your minimal RNi and avoid premature heart disease ending with a heart attack for as long as possible. There are many alternative interpretations if it but what you mention is probably semi-carnivore diet or Paleo. 

Keep experimenting just keep an eye on your cholesterol intake and the amount of deep frying and oxidised fat you consume. Boiled > fried. 

Whenever someone says they feel like shit on plants but immediately get better on animals, that's a dysbiosis red flag for me....but that's just personal opinion. Hope this diet works for you and gives you more joy in life ! 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Keep experimenting just keep an eye on your cholesterol intake and the amount of deep frying and oxidised fat you consume. Boiled > fried.

Cholesterol and fat are good for you I think. Most of the cells are made out of it.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Don't worry about the food pryramid l, it's made for the economy to be healthy, not for people to be healthy.

Yeah my theory is that they want less people to eat meat because if everyone ate it there wouldn't be enough for everyone. Because overpopulation. But they also want to make people sick I think.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

2 hours ago, Eric Tarpall said:

Yeah my theory is that they want less people to eat meat because if everyone ate it there wouldn't be enough for everyone. Because overpopulation. But they also want to make people sick I think.

Dude you've made like 100 theories in the last year xDD

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

the traditional food pyramid is a joke basing majority of your calories from pastries, rapidly absorbable carbohydrates and processed grains simply to make sure people are not starving. It is not a model to thrive but to achieved your minimal RNi and avoid premature heart disease ending with a heart attack for as long as possible. There are many alternative interpretations if it but what you mention is probably semi-carnivore diet or Paleo. 

Whenever someone says they feel like shit on plants but immediately get better on animals, that's a dysbiosis red flag for me....but that's just personal opinion. Hope this diet works for you and gives you more joy in life ! 

Vegetable fats turn toxic when cooked. The best fat to cook is pig lard, japanese people cook like this and have the highest lifespan. 

Only eat olive oil when raw.

Edited by Moreira

@Moreira Virgin Coconut oil and Ghee(grass fed) are known to be the safest oils to cook with. Don't eat olive oil, eat olives :)

B R E A T H E

Yes it is wrong!!

Carbs and 'white foods' are the devil! Bread, pasta, rice- these are at the bottom/core of the food pyramid, which is wrong. Vegetables and fruit at the bottom, proteins and legumes next, fats next, and some carbs is fine.

But carbs as a staple? Everyone is different so don't listen to me, but to me if I have a medium size of carbs I feel HORRIBLE within an hour after the big energy spike.

On 05/04/2019 at 9:50 PM, Moreira said:

Vegetable fats turn toxic when cooked. The best fat to cook is pig lard, japanese people cook like this and have the highest lifespan. 

Only eat olive oil when raw.

you cannot generalise on that. This depends whether they are mono or polyunsaturated or saturated. You are right in saying that most vegetable fats oxidise when cooked but why cook on oil in the first place. Most dishes you can perfectly easy prepare on water or use a saturated source such as coconut oil. Agreed on pig lard, saturated fats are definitely the best choice when having to cook on them...we have other, less gross choices though. 

All fats have same properties whether coming from animal or plant , what changes is the amount of double bonds between carbon atoms. Plant fats are deposited in the cellular walls that protect the cell from radical damage. They are also use to produce eicosanoids, signalling molecules that have antiinflammtory and anti-coagulating properties. There is very little of those in animal food. 

On 05/04/2019 at 5:51 PM, Eric Tarpall said:

Cholesterol and fat are good for you I think. Most of the cells are made out of it.

your liver makes 1000 mg of cholesterol per day using the ensyme HMG-CoA reductase. Unless you are on Statins or have genetic defect of this ensyme your needs are covered.

EDIT: when most people say "choelsterol is good" they don't realise they are not getting "clean cholesterol" such as from boiled eggs but an oxidised, rancid cesspool of free radicals called "oxidised cholesterol" that comes from animal foods that have been processed on high heat such as pan-frying. This causes damage to endothelium of your artheries and forces body to send LDL choelsterol to fix it -> in long term this leads to atherosclerosis. So, I agree that normal cholesterol such as from boiled egg or raw meat (gross!) is not that bad but most of what is eaten generally is a free radical because most people can't stomach raw meat or not even boiled. 

Not the entire cell is made of fat, majority of cell is actually made of protein (the nucleus with DNA, endoplasmic reticulum, the cytoplasm that make smajority of cell body is actually strands of protein and some minerals like zinc) however the double layered membrane surrounding the cell (phospholipid bilayer) is made of fat indeed , mostly polyunsaturated and monounsaturated though mostly coming from plants...there is a degree of saturated fats as well that make it more stable and a little bit of cholesterol to help with transport of substance. If there is too much saturated animal fats, this wall becomes stiff and you end up with insulin resistance   a.k.a type II diabetes. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Truth is, we can’t digest plants. So that’s why you probably felt like shite. Humans have lived on animal products since the dawn of time, so keep going. All this vegan bullshit is literally just a trend and an incredibly good business idea. Vegetarianism on the other hand is fine because you’re still eating animal products. 

Also, never take supplements - there’s no evidence that they actually work. Humans haven’t needed them before, we don’t need them now. 

“Let food be thy medicine”

;)

11 hours ago, RawJudah said:

Truth is, we can’t digest plants. So that’s why you probably felt like shite. Humans have lived on animal products since the dawn of time, so keep going. All this vegan bullshit is literally just a trend and an incredibly good business idea. Vegetarianism on the other hand is fine because you’re still eating animal products. 

Also, never take supplements - there’s no evidence that they actually work. Humans haven’t needed them before, we don’t need them now. 

;)

And global warming is also bullshit, right?

@bejapuskas obviously factory farming is bad. That’s why we should only buy grass fed pasture raised animal products. 

What ya going to do though? Stop the big factory farms? 

Come on...

15 hours ago, RawJudah said:

human's cant digest fibre, but our microbiota can...well that is if your gut is not messed up or purely adapted to digesting animal flesh, in that case you'll end up bloated and in pain when eating a bowl of grapes like all these crazy carnivores on Youtube. Everythign else in plant we can absorb, the micro and macronutrients, the phytochemicals, the enzymes etc..

Throughout most of our times humans and our ancestors were foraging for fruit and very rarly if they got lucky a short period of high protein meat diet usually followed by plants. If you look at populations that eat high animal diets like Inui, you see horrible horrible, health. 

Granted that veganism is an ideology that is targeted by marketing and when done poorly can be extremely harmful even deadly. There is a lot of evidence that supplements work lol, when was the last time you checked? You take D-vitamin depleted people give them supplement and their levels go up and their symptoms disappear.

Food is superior to supplements thoughthat's true. 

Edited by Michael569
grammar, wording

Livers are probably most nutritious food from how many important components they hold , fish was good too , but now you can't know what waste in ocean your wish got hold of, egg white is alright too, I would stay away from rest as something to eat often. 

Edited by purerogue

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

Unfortunately, that's not possible anymore. And personally, I think it wouldn't be very wise considering that we live vastly different lifestyles nowadays. Plus today we want to become 80 at least, so we need a diet that supports longevity, not just reproduction.

@Shiva  How can I find such a diet? :) 

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

While there exist some fantastic books on nutrition, I find that most are trying to sell you one dietary dogma or the other.

In my opinion paying attention is so much more important. Just paying attention to what is happening in the body when consuming food. I think then it should become clear what your particular body needs, when it needs it and how much.

It's strange that as the intelligent humans that we are, we need books to tell us what to eat, whereas even the simplest creatures on the planet already know, isn't it?

What's your take on this?

Exactly, what might be considered healthy , might be far from healthy for you , our bodies are complex and we each have different reactions to foods that we consume, not to be taken lightly as bad symptoms can take long time to show, I personally had best long lasting experiences from eating simple, not mixing 20 foods to make optimal health combination, as 20 food means way more chance that you will have something in your diet that will be bad for  you. 

Edited by purerogue

@Shiva @purerogue  Yeh, actually this paying attention to my body has helped me to improve my diet a lot :) But maybe I am missing something important? I don't know...

ghdrgesvfaeswfaswgaswga.jpg

Human Food Pyramid

Eating anything else is a choice and your body/mind will not function at its best. This is the cleanest fuel for the human body.

B R E A T H E