Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scholar

Streaming as a tool for Self-Actualization (for Leo)

7 posts in this topic

I have observed an interesting phenomenon that is taking place among some streamers on platforms like Twitch. Due to the substantial amount of viewers some streamers have, they have the ability to almost instantly access thousands of people who are capable of doing research for them, including many scientists who work in different fields across the disciplines. 

They can ask questions when they lack knowledge about any specific topic and can censor and block people who are incompetent or unreliable, leading to a selective process that leaves only people who are very certain about their positions to post them in the stream.

This kind of process leads to these streamers being extremely powerful tools in debate and inquiry, as they both educate everyone who is watching the stream and also incorporate the knowledge of the most competent people who are adding their expertise.

When I think about how we could create a revolutionary integrative process, streaming is really the most optimal tool I have found for that endeavor. Even right now it is extremely powerful, despite the streamers themselves not being scientists and not necessarily as rigorous and determined as someone who does it professionally would be.

I think there is a real problem in our civilization. There is an abundance of information, but it seems to be extremely fragmented. We don't have any effective processes of integration and holism, right now it is basically everyone doing it by themselves, stumbling through the infinite archive of knowledge and trying to determine what information is relevant and what is not.

This is why Leo is selling a Book-List, it is because the information about what kind of information is meaningful is actually MORE valuable than the information it is leading to itself. The reason for that is that there is an abundance of good information, but also an abundance of bad information. There are no clear systems that allow us to navigate this landscape, and for someone like Leo is took years upon years. And not only that, he was also extremely lucky in the way he thinks about the world and what kind of information he stumbled upon in his life.

Think about where you would be if you never found out about Leo's work?

This overflow of information does not only make it difficult to navigate the landscape, but it also makes it possible to get lost in wrong information. There is just so much around, for a lot of people who have no epistemological understanding it is mere luck whether they become alt-right, flat-earths, conspiracy theorists or any other group that is clearly deluded. It is luck because we do not teach them any process of navigating information.

It seems trivial, but in my opinion is a civilization-threatening problem. The information gets more and more fragmented, which means that the sense of reality will differ from person to person more radically than it did, further amplifying the fragmentation of information. I suspect that a revolutionary method of information navigation and integration will be the most significant and meaningful invention within the next century. It will be the step to a Tier 2 civilization, an integral society. And it seems like there are evolutionary pressures that force us into this adaptation, obviously predictable if we look at the consequences of stage-green relativism. This process though is hijacked by the information-revolution caused by the internet, changing the models that are mostly based on pre-internet-data. The evolution of the average person might have been altered due to this new factor.

Now, one aspect about streaming that is so revolutionary is that it can broadcast the process of information navigation to thousands of people who themselves contribute to that navigation, teaching people about epistemology and integration while they are watching the stream. When someone adds information to a stream, they are not just giving that information to the streamer, but to everyone who is watching the stream.

Imagine if Leo would be streaming the process of how he does research, imagine if he would let us participate in it. It would be next-level guru, a true integration of technology into the process of self-actualization and enlightenment. I think it would be just so much more effective at teaching because we would see Leo's thought process in action, we would see how he comes to his conclusions, and we could interact with him to aid him in that process. Sure, it would take him out of his comfort zone, but that is precisely what is needed. It would finally demystify the process of self-actualization. It would also grant a lot of people motivation that is hard to establish through on-demand videos.

And not to forget that streaming is extremely lucrative. Instead of selling a book list, he would get donations and probably make 7 or at least high 6 figures. He could be completely open about the information he shares and would not need to structure his teaching methods from a perspective of monetisation. With the additional money gained he could further his life purpose, but in my opinion the most significant advantage is the increase in growth that he would experience from it.

It is just a suggestion for @Leo Gura , I do not believe it will make much of a difference whether he acts upon it or not, as I believe it is inevitable for someone to do so in the future. But I do believe it would be superior to traditional methods of teaching, like the guru settings that have a tendency of creating cults and delusion, or generally being very ineffective at helping a greater amount of people. This Forum is very sub-optimal in my opinion as well, even though it does create some value for people. And 1 hour on demand videos that take a week to create? The irony is that we would get so much more value from seeing Leo create the videos than from the videos themselves. This is nothing but a waste of Leo's valuable time, which is limited. He is not showing us the most important aspect about self-actualization, which is the process of self-actualization. He is literally showing us results. It's like a martial arts-teacher who tells us what to do but never shows us how to do it in the first place. A masterful teacher is part of the process of learning, he is an active participant who shows us how to do the learning. When we see him exercise his mastery we ourselves can learn from it far more effectively than through some tutorial video that is a mere hour long.

And what would be better suited for that than streaming?

Glory to Israel

uhh have you ever paid attention to what twitch chat is actually like? It's like a monkey with a high speed internet connection. 

anytime you put large amounts of the public into a stream or chat group, unless they've been highly filtered, you typically end up with a moderate level of retardation.

case in point: There's a good chance I would be in streams with Leo, almost certainly devolving the conversation with the stupid shit I would be saying.

21 hours ago, Arman said:

uhh have you ever paid attention to what twitch chat is actually like? It's like a monkey with a high speed internet connection. 

anytime you put large amounts of the public into a stream or chat group, unless they've been highly filtered, you typically end up with a moderate level of retardation.

case in point: There's a good chance I would be in streams with Leo, almost certainly devolving the conversation with the stupid shit I would be saying.

What I would suggest is to censor and filter people. Streaming is used as entertainment so you cannot compare an average stream of gamers to a stream of Self-actualizers who are there to learn. If you would be saying stupid shit you would be out of the conversation, plain and simple.

Cultures change as new people adopt certain technologies, the same happened for every medium that was invented in history.

Glory to Israel

19 minutes ago, Ero said:

With the proper preparation and set up this can be a really powerful tool. I definitely agree, but it's still far fetched.

How did this idea come to you? I'm interested what was your inspiration. 

I have been following some of Destiny's content on twitch and youtube, he is a streamer. The way he uses his audience inspired the vision. Even though I think he is dysfunctional in many ways, he is definitely onto something as far as his approach goes, even if he is doing it unconsciously. You can really observe the evolution of him, he went from orange to green and is now scratching at yellow after he started using psychedelics. The amount of knowledge he has acquired just by using his audience is quite astounding. 

What I envision is really an embracing of streaming into educational structures and research, which might take a few decades to manifest. Leo could be a pioneer in this, I really don't see any better option for him. He can do the traditional approach which is mediocre at best, he can keep making videos which also is sub-optimal, or he can try something new and be the first person who recontextualizes a medium for personal development. I a completely unconscious person can get that far with streaming, I can only imagine what someone like Leo could do with it.

But he would have to put his ego on the line, which I think he is not yet ready to do.

Glory to Israel

I once had the insight that a twitch chat is like a human supercomputer, like a semi-AI. Of course it depends on the quality of the viewers haha. Also not to go too Terrence McKenna on you, but I believe Twitch is one of the first signs that we're entering an age of global hyper-interconnectivity and information flow, which will be the launching point of the stage yellow era. 

I also believe there is merit to your idea about Leo establishing himself on twitch (although maybe not now with his current pursuits). Afterall, HealthyGamerGG, the spiritually inclined psychiatrist, only just started out and has had extreme success, even teaching meditation on stream.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I love Dr K. a lot, awesome person. I had the idea to help twitch streamers since I noticed many having mental health issues, but I never felt equipped enough to take that on. I’m so happy this new channel is able to help the streamers I’ve loved for so many years.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

This may be a stupid idea, but here it is.

If there is a way for him to stream on his website... while being able to link the users with their forum accounts, that would be great.

If anyone is there to monkey around, perma IP ban. And there you go. This is far more difficult to do with you-tube or twitch. You can't moderate thousands of accounts, even with AI, its better if the creation of those accounts is in his hands and that will be on his website or the forum. This will also lead people directly here, instead of youtube.

Simple 1 hour QnA streams might do. Sometimes it is difficult for people to read of what Leo means when he does a 3-5 word replies on the forum. No voice, no face, you've seen it.

Edited by Yog