DanTheLurker

I refused a job that pays 3x more in order to help a friend that is drowning in work

11 posts in this topic

I accepted a job at Starbucks in order to help a friend (store manager) that works without time off and can't seem to find a full-time employee to cover important morning shifts.

I want to help him for a few months and after the situation stabilizes, apply again to the higher paying job. 

I felt that if I back down after already accepting the job and go after my own self-interest while knowing this guy will burn himself out, it will translate into bad karma for me in the future. 

Am I just being stupid for not pursuing my self-interest or did I do the right thing? I can't quite figure it out. Tell me what you think.

These types of situations don't have the right answer. One person will chose one option another second option both could be right or wrong.

If you want to know what to do in these situations you just have to be totally honest with yourself in what you want. Say yes to the truth and then let the consiquences come.

This comes with maturity and practice. When your heart is devoted to truth, everything will turn out good in the end.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

If you only did that because you were fearing “bad karma”, it was a wrong decision...

18 hours ago, DanTheLurker said:

I want to help him for a few months and after the situation stabilizes, apply again to the higher paying job. 

I felt that if I back down after already accepting the job and go after my own self-interest while knowing this guy will burn himself out, it will translate into bad karma for me in the future. 

Does he know you're doing this for him? 

Sounds like a lot. I'm not sure I'd want a friend to reject a good job for my crappy one - under any circumstance. 

He's got options. Cover morning shifts with part-time employees. Search on. Resign and seek a better job himself. 

But most importantly, get very clear with yourself if this is a "strings attached" offer. What are you expecting to gain back? If you knew he's absolutely not going to reciprocate this level of sacrifice, would you still do it?

Edited by Elisabeth

Hi I have decided that from today on I am gonna tell you guys if i think someone is trolling.

Before being at Actualized.org's forum i was in a toxic low consciousness forum. There i learned about all the types of trolling: Mean trolling, derailing trolling etc.

This forum is very vulnerable to trolling specially the meditation sub-forum (one of the reasons for the high post count I think)

IMO there's a 95% chance that @DanTheLurker  is trolling.

How to sharpen you troll identification skills:

-Post count

-Content

-Previous posts (yeah you gotta do some detective work).

-Even though this actualized.org this is also the internet. Keep that in mind.

-Use your intuition.

Edited by Arcangelo
intuition

2 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

Hi I have decided that from today on I am gonna tell you guys if i think someone is trolling.

Thanks. I don't know if this is the case, but I appreciate this. 

Just please be careful to not unnecessarily scare away newbies.

In another forum, we had elaborate trolling attacks from a writer composing stories about fictive people. Unfortunately, after some time we became so suspicious that we accused some seriously distressed real people of making it up. 

But still, I'm a person who would always fall for the story, so I do appreciate you speaking up. 

Edited by Elisabeth

Its Starbucks responsability to help his store manager, not yours.

Puting other priorities first insted of your owns is a bad decision. Your'e neglecting your true potential, what you got to offer.

You're a working for a multi-national corporation to help a friend who is a manager? This isn't helping a friend it's just impeding your own growth.

You have to ask yourself.

Are you afraid to take up the new job? Are you competent enough?

Is the new job convenient for you?

Did you reject the job because the Starbucks job is easier? Are you lazy? 

Seems to me youre in self deception by taking this starbucks job.