rNOW

One Book

22 posts in this topic

Hypothetically, if your were moving to an island to live alone for a few years, and you were allowed to carry only one book with you, which book would you choose and why?

The Bible because God is the only one you can speak to.

a bunch of Notebooks to reflect on yourself.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Power Of Now because of its practicality, simplicity and profundity. Addresses different forms of suffering and paths to realizing being . A book for both good times and bad times.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

The Bhagavat Gita interpretation by Yogananda - God talks with Arjuna.

What's the difference between a duck?

J.C. Stevens book with Kriya Yoga practices. Maybe I could master it all.

Would never take "The Power of Now", it's entry-level weaksauce. Sorry guys xD

I have loved in the past too but coming back to it now there's nothing interesting.

Edited by Girzo

If I wasn't an Idiot, I would take Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson instead of Power Of Now.

IMG_0555.JPG

The psychology of men's possible evolution by Peter Ouspensky. Why? To understand why the hack I chose to move alone for a few years on an deserted island ?... Maybe ? Depends how many years... 

quick google search: Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival

why?

Survival

Tolle is a great guy. But, in that case I'm becoming food.

2 hours ago, John Lula said:

Facebook

You're already on the island ? ?

This was asked somewhere. The answer there was- A book about how to build a  boat.

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

A Course in Miracles

It's poetry and every time I read it, I get something new and different. 

All you need to know about doing a backflip: Backflip 101

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I don't recommend it. It's a horrible thing to get through with any understanding. ?

I read it in 2004 just trying to infer the meaning of all of Gurdjieff's specially invented words and didn't get a lot out of it. With all the different websites that give definitions and Concordance, it's now a different situation and much more do-able. Especially with all of it on You tube where one can read along while it's being narrated.

He begins the book with an over the top bombastic, grandiose style which will turn many off. He also mixes in pure bullshit with profound truths. He also writes contradictory statements throughout. Whatever one's worldview is, there will be something included in the book to offer offense. Gurdjieff admitted writing it to where it would be a difficult read which he refers to as " burying the bone deep".

I spent more than 10 years reading books by advanced students about the Fourth Way in general as well as books that gave interpretations of Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson. This last year with a small online group I read it again but with much more study as I went along.

At the beginning of the book he writes his intention --  "To destroy, mercilessly, without any compromises whatsoever, in the mentation and feelings of the reader, the beliefs and views, by centuries rooted in him, about everything existing in the world."

My takeaway is that Kundalini is actually mankinds worst problem by the fact that most people don't have what he calls Fulasnitamnian awareness or what modern students refer to as 3 Centered Awareness, to ground it. So I boiled down my takeaway to the following:

Chi = Kundalini = Prana = Kundabuffer = imagination 
Chi = Kundalini + 3 Centered Awareness = Holy Prana 

Only Holy Prana will be beneficial for those who go through a Kundalini Awakening.

or rather only a Kundalini Awakening utilizing Holy Prana is beneficial.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Rephrase last sentence

On 6/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Theresa said:

A Course in Miracles

It's poetry and every time I read it, I get something new and different. 

@Theresa  Me too! Therefore, I change my mind.    A Course In Miracles

The standard version combined with the regular text is great but a few months ago I learned of a new annotated edition.

It footnotes all things related in the Course material to Jesus' Teaching in the New Testament. It also has a glossary and other features you can read about on the link below. Being that it weighs about 4 lbs., on a deserted island it could also serve double as a seat or worktable. 

Similar to Yogananda's experience with Jesus Christ. The Christ encountered in ACIM is more like a well meaning, loved by all big brother who would enter a farting contest if it served to help someone's understanding. Not a Being who is interested in being worshiped.

https://circle-of-atonement.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/a-course-in-miracles-complete-and-annotated-edition

For those who are really curious in different perspectives on Christianity the following video may be of interest. I'm not sold on everything he says but it has some good food for thought.