Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shaun

How to stop hearing a word in my head when I see it?

9 posts in this topic

Whenever I see any word in my surroundings, I automatically hear/read it in my head and this gets in the way of my mindfulness at work and in daily life. Is it actually possible to look at a word in your native language and not read/hear it, as if an English speaking person were to look at Arabic?

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

@Shaun

The point is not to stop this process, language and symbol is an inherent quality of the human mind.

Instead, look closely and keep your attention on the actual appearance of the letters, not on the meaning that is generated by the mind.

A word is just an appearance, a pointer, a signboard on the road, that's all you need to realise.

The meaning is generated by you.

@Shaun if it is happening. It isn't getting in the way of being mindful. You are able to be mindful of your thoughts... Of any phenomena...

So the trick is to simply be mindful of the fact that it's happening that way. You cannot "stop" it because you're not really doing it. Just remain aware of it, without getting attached or annoyed by it. And if you do get annoyed or attached, then be mindful of the fact that has happened.

Mindfulness means "shining the light on". You can shine the light on anything without it interfering with the process of you shining the light.

your complaint really is likr this... as If you are in a dark room and are searching for an object with a flashlight. And there is an object in the room which you keep on shining the flashlight on as you search for that object. That object being there in that room does not affect your ability to search for the other object. What does affect it is your fascination and obsession with that object.

Simply notice that this object continues to have light shine upon it as you are flashing the light around the room and each time it happens, simply see it and move on :)

True mindfulness is an interrupted activity.

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@Shaun Yes it's possible. In fact spoken words also might stop making sense. You'll hear people chatting but it will be as if it's the birds chirping. Although the mind will retain its ability to make sense of the world and respond appropriately when required. 

@Shaun I like this question. When I was learning Spanish, I noticed I was always translating Spanish to English. It took a lot of effort to break that habit, so I could just hear the Spanish.

Somewhat similarly, I notice my mind “translates” words/thoughts to meaning. At times in life that is very useful. Yet other times, it interferes with certain forms of exercise.

One meditative practice I do is to allow thoughts/words as impulses. I also add in a second impulse - my favorite is bird chirps. I sit there and allow thought impulses and bird chirp impulses to arise right next to each other. This allows contrast. It’s totally obvious if I am giving meaning to word/thought impulses and not bird chirp impulses. Allowing both to coexist equally as simply impulses in my brain helped me a lot in this area.

It's fine. It means your intellect is working and being used for it's purpose. Hearing the words as you read them is how you comprehend what is being read. 
If you're using the intellect, how can it be you? 
It's like using a screwdriver. Are you the screwdriver or the one using the screwdriver?
The screwdriver is there when needed, and put away when you're done.

@Shaun there is a purpose to the voice in your head . And if you have it , you believe is important to your survival . Discover what motivates the voice in your head and what is it , and them you can stop it . Until them you will only struggle . 

15 minutes ago, who chit said:

The screwdriver is there when needed, and put away when you're done.

In my case it is usually lost and forgotten then I have to get another one :D

Anyway, thanks  everyone for your responses, some good stuff to apply here.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

In my case it is usually lost and forgotten then I have to get another one :D

Anyway, thanks  everyone for your responses, some good stuff to apply here.

:D

The mind is only a problem if you're identified with it.