Aeris

Is sugar really a drug ?

37 posts in this topic

@universe Sugar is a type of carb. Carbs are longer chains of sugars that get broken down more or less slowly in your body into their constituent monosaccharides, which can be metabolized by your body to produce ATP, the cellular currency of energy. Some carbs are broken down so readily that they behave almost like sugar when you eat them, some are released more slowly and so provide a more slow-burn type of fuel. So it all depends on which carb you're talking about. You could research Glycemic Index for more info on this.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Charlotte I feel like it helps but doesn't solve the problem, I'm still eating sugar but am not binge eating anymore, feels like sweets are sweeter than before after I started taking, I've been taking for a month now and my sugar intake decreased substantially, my main problem is when I'm pmsing, the wave of emotions and the sensitivity of the period makes me eat more, but it may help other people. 

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

@Nahm What about stevia ? can i replace sugar with stevia for the time being while i ween off sugar

What's worse than sugar for me is gluten. Gluten fucks me up, and unlike reactive hypoglycemia, there is no instant fix (RH, you take some OJ and 15 mins later you are sorted),

I think cutting out sugar and gluten were the two most beneficial things I have ever done in my life. From mood regulation to inflamatory response.

Last week I ate some bread without thinking and for 12 hours I was in agony.

Constant state ketosis is amazing for meditation too. As well as fasting. You can combine both, 20 hour fast and 4 hour eating window sticking to ketosis makes my body feel athletic.

You should also swallow your semen if you are male. It contains NGF (nerve growth factor) amongst a ton of other things.

Refined sugar as an additive is represented by all the comments here previously, but we need to understand the root problem here.

We, humans, thrive on carbs and sugar, our cells need either ketones or sugar to function, and the body naturally prioritizes carbs to be used as fuel! If we go back 100 thousand years on our evolutionary scale we would look pretty much the same as we do now, but without the technology, so how did we survive? Our best conditions would be in the tropics where it would not we as cold, and our best food to eat would be plants and fruits! I believe that these are the most optimal foods for human consumption.

This year my staple diet has been plant-based with -rated by volume- 45% fresh fruit & berries, 10% legumes (Swedish young green peas for protein) 15% roots and tubers, 15% salad vegetables, 10% oatmeal, 5% other (fish, grains, sauces, added oil, nuts, honey, etc) Its pretty much 85/10/5 on calories.

I live and thrive on sugar! But only sugar that is contained in water, nutrients, and fiber. The key for sugar not to be deadly is to contain it in fiber, so that the sugar won't get secreted into the blood rapidly, causing that insulin response which causes inflammation, low blood sugar, fatigue, obesity, etc. Take a Mango, it has like all the nutrients we need, perfect omega 3/6 ratio, fibers, sugar, and a lot of water! It's like the perfect food for humans. When you look at sugar without all the other stuff that the mango has, then the sugar seems deadly, but not when contained in the mango. People misunderstand this and conclude that sugar is bad without looking at the big picture.

Connect the dots to understand what foods are optimal for us, why they are, how they are, how evolution plays into this etc. Check various sources. Check out "Sw3den" on youtube, then check out "Sweet natural living" for 2 radically different perspectives.

• Tips:
  • Your body will crave sugar naturally, it needs sugar. Feed it fruits, not refined sugar, and your cravings will go away. Don't feed it starches because your body won't register it as sugar. A good replacement for all "quick snacks that kills those sugar cravings" are Medjool dates, and dried fruits such as dried mango, dried pineapple, dried figs, etc (watch out for added sugar!)
  • If you feed your body refined sugar when you have a sugar craving, then the craving won't go away, because of the blood sugar being messed up.
  • Don't get discouraged by the sheer volume of eating a fruitarian diet! Your belly will acclimate to it and it will be kind of a good thing, then you won't be able to feel full on calorie dense foods as easily and so you will learn stick to the fruits as you don't wanna eat 4000calories of junk food in one sitting. Make sure to eat a lot of fruits! As a growing active young man, I can eat 20 bananas in one sitting (blended)
  • Make sure to find the cheapest and best fruits in your local area, you can buy bulk from the wholesale for cheap. Here in Sweden, I buy 18kg of bananas for 20$ and 10kg of mangoes for 20$

Our best conditions would be in the tropics where it would not we as cold, and our best food to eat would be plants and fruits! I believe that these are the most optimal foods for human consumption.

Yes, our bodies just evolved to have 4 canine teeth for the lolz, not for eating meat.

@thesmileyone Gorillas and hippos have very large canines but they are herbivores. If we look at lions, they need a very short digestive tract to thrive on meat so that it wont rot in their bellies as meat wont move trough the gut very quickly because it does not contain any fiber. Our digestive tract is much longer than that.

If we look at how humans are built and then remove 50k years of technology (to benefit the evolution argument) then where would humans thrive? They would be able to live in scandinavia, but not close to thriving. 

5 hours ago, Igor82 said:

@thesmileyone Gorillas and hippos have very large canines but they are herbivores. If we look at lions, they need a very short digestive tract to thrive on meat so that it wont rot in their bellies as meat wont move trough the gut very quickly because it does not contain any fiber. Our digestive tract is much longer than that.

If we look at how humans are built and then remove 50k years of technology (to benefit the evolution argument) then where would humans thrive? They would be able to live in scandinavia, but not close to thriving. 

It seems more likely that humans ate each other.

Humans have an inbuilt system that allows them to survive on ketones, ie without glycogen, as well as a system which converts food to fat during periods of famine, suggesting a cyclic diet. Given that fruits and vegetables grow all year round, and some animals go into cryostasis during winters,  it doesn't make much sense that human's optimal diet is fruit and veg. This sounds more like your personal choice prejuciding your opinion.

Herbivores have canines to defend themselves. They don't have a cyclic based, dual ingestion system.

@thesmileyone My opinion is based on the knowledge I have acquired. I admit that I bias my research towards what I already believe, what I believe is what makes the most sense to me in the big picture, I could be wrong. If we all research what diet is best for our health then we automatically think that those things that "seem best for us based on research" bust also represent the optimal diet, but we do the mistake of not looking at the bigger picture. Why is it that sugar is best to be avoided? How does this tie into the bigger picture?

What I believe is that we humans evolved and adapted to certain conditions that made us survive. If you erase my memory and drop me somewhere in the world 50 thousand years ago, where would I have the best chances to survive (and thrive) and why? We humans can survive in Alaska if we want, we can adapt to winder pretty quickly, we have large brains, but would we thrive there tho?

We are born to run, we have a long digestive tract, we need sunlight, out circadian rhythm is a certain way, we have pretty good eyesight, we are fucking devils, human babies grow up with only 4% of their calories from protein in breastmilk. If we take all these factors, I would say that we would thrive in a rainforest, where we would have to run a lot, eat fruit from trees, build shelter from storms and shit, outsmart a snake... in order for us to be a global species, we would have to move out of the rainforest and adapt to other climates, hence the keto, etc.

Nowadays, it all boils down to what makes you feel good. What makes me feel the best is fruit and vegetables. If I would eat fish I would feel good at first, but later into the digestive process, I would suffer for it more than if I would have eaten a lot of bananas. I base my research on this and I chose this diet to feel good!

Can you please share your bigger picture? You are now just criticizing details and I cant clearly see your big picture as of yet.

I admit that I bias my research towards what I already believe

Having admitted that then it's pointless replying to you. However I will say;

My big picture is that vegans say "you should live on bananas, because evolution" yet they live in places where bananas don't grow. They drink coconut water, in places where coconuts don't grow either. They eat cashew nuts for protein, but don't live in the tropics where cashew nuts grow. Instead they say "I live on fruit and veg that grows naturally, I don't kill things for food, therefore I'm an evolved human".

They completely dismiss 1 out of 3 types of teeth found in the mouth. Specific teeth used for specifically eating meat. Humans use hands to fight, not teeth, unlike primates and other animals.

They completely dismiss that humans have a long digestive tract (you didn't, you get a star!) because meat takes longer to digest.

They completely dismiss cave drawing artifacts that show humans hunting and eating deer and other animals.

In some cases they are so ignorant they make their cats and dogs go vegan.

As for current living, we clearly live wrongly. We sit under LED lights when we should be asleep. Electricity has basically fucked the human race. We cause our own detriment.

I'm reading CAN'T HURT ME by David Goggins at the moment, it's a really eye opening book, about how modern day humans are obsessed with comfort to the point where they live shorter, disease crippled lives because of it.

Sugar is addictive. Emphatic yes. As is alcohol and nicotine. I just stick with alcohol.

TOBE's:

1. Be happy
  2. Be a unicorn

Apparently when consuming sugar it triggers the same areas in the brain as cocaine does. 

I have eaten an american cookie a dormmate made, I had to resist eating the second. I haven't eaten sugar in over 2 years. Now when I eat something that has the "conventional" amount of sugar in it I can feel the rush. I can really feel it and the accompanying crash that makes me eat more and more. I try to satisfy a need that cannot be satisfied with sugar. Sugar is empty, there is no substance or nutrients to it. It triggers my brain to think it is something healthy and a commodity. But it is readily available and so everyone eats and never stops and wonders why they get fat and die with dry vaginas.

TOBE's:

1. Be happy
  2. Be a unicorn