Riyaazbasha

Where to start to self-improve?

13 posts in this topic

There are lot of people on Internet telling me do this, do that and I personally watch lot of videos on YouTube, read lot of articles to self improve myself, lately I have been having this feeling, where the heck am I supposed to start for self-improving? I have been wondering if I start here will I ever succeed or not? 

@Riyaazbasha Start where are you at.

Look around you. What could you improve? What could you make better?

How could you optimize your surroundings?

Here is some things you could do to get started:

1.) Buy a journal and place it near your bed or your desk.

2.) Sit for 20 minutes and just BE (Meditation)

3.) Exercise and take care of your body and diet; aka clean up your fridge.

4.) Sit down with pen and paper and write down some goals you have in mind.

Pretty much start with whatever is most comfortable for you. From there, start doing those things more often and get some momentum going for your self. 
Also, check out Leo's book list. There are some essentials on there. 

I would also suggest going on Actualized.org/blueprint

It's Leo's wonderful blueprint to kick start your self-development

I would focus on Life Purpose and Strategic Thinking in the blueprint first, and watch Leo's videos based on those topics.

You're not human, you're the universe

Self image-- all personal development even the deepest levels, start and stop here: what you believe about yourself.

I love exercise and started there but even this can be destructive if you don't love yourself (sounds mushy but most people don't).

Leo has good vids on self image... Many of his later vids also revolve around this topic as well.

I wish you well, excited for you.

I beleive you can only succeed in self improvement if you accept yourself first. Find out what your morals and values are, strengths, weaknesses, and all that, then embrace them all.

You can't work on something you know nothing about!

You should read books instead of articles because the knowledge gained will be more in depth.

Look for books or articles several hundred years in the past. The readership was a lot smaller, so the quality is likely to be higher. The downside is they may not appeal to your Ego. They may also be potentially more useful, but also potentially more corrupting.

Embrace danger, but look to mitigate damage.

The easiest way to start self improvement is to follow what others have done before you. There are many sites , like this one, which offers guides or traning courses, you can start from there.

But I would say self improvement starts from YOU. There are many layers to self improvement. The objective of any self improvement is to produce better results. So in order to get better results, you must develop better skills and you must also productivity techniques to enable you to be productive consistently. But that's a later issues, first and foremost , there must be a better you, skills and productivity come later. That means in order to do self improvement, you must first improve yourself as a person, namely as a mind and character. How to become a more positive mind, how to have an open mind, how to have a mind that likes learning, how to become a better character, how to become a diligent, self-disciplined and motivated character. As you can see, there are a lot of things to improve here. For Everyone, this is the most important part of the self improvement journey and this is where everyone should start.

You start from the place of your deepest struggle. Ask yourself what bothers you. And begin there. 

Do you find yourself struggling at health? Start there.

Find it difficult to forgive some wrong done to you? Start there.

Difficult to focus? Start there. 

Finances messy? Start there.

Pick up a book related to your personal struggle and drown in the topic. From there, you will find your way into other topics. 

@Riyaazbasha Its easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer mountain in front of you. Truth is, there is no one place to start, its down to you. The other people who have commented all make very good points and suggestions and i agree with them. Meditation, nutrition and exercise are all very foundational things in my opion because they will get you out of your head, into your body, clear up your thinking and thought processes, give you more energy and get you flowing more freely in the right direction.

Jordan Peterson says, clean up your room. You would be amazed what tidying up your apartment does for clarity of mind and knowing what to do next.

If you feeling overwhelmed and doubtful i reccomend you watch Leos how to stop being a victim videos. I just watched Part 2 again and this time round it really clicked. it is a very foundational insight to realise from that video and it now feels like i have been freed up to proceed with doing the work with and putting the pieces into place with more confidence over time. Allow space for spontaneity and be patient.

Edited by Spence94
mistake

@Riyaazbasha What part of your life do you feel you want to improve? Do you have a vision or a dream of where you want to be? Ultimately the only way you can know is by asking yourself. The answer will be specific for you. No one can give it for you, because they are just not you. So figure out what is it you want. This is a long process, so don't expect answers form the get go. Maybe you want to draw? Maybe you want to design and build machines? Maybe you want to get better with girls? Maybe you want to get in shape? Maybe you want to build an exciting life for yourself? Only one way to find out. Visualise and ask yourself what do you want. Most importantly - start loving where you are at. Don't do it out of insecurity or lack of confidence. Do it cause you love yourself and you want what is best for you. Good luck forward.