Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pronevron

Determining Spiritual Attainment

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

An aspect of spirituality I’ve struggled with is understanding just where on the path I am.

In some ways, it doesn’t make much of a difference since I’ll still be doing essentially the same practices no matter what, and hopefully one day I will be in tune with the absolute nature of reality so all preceding levels may not matter much anyway, but in other ways I’m just unclear as to how I can know what I need to work on, or if my time and effort could be spent more wisely. 

Some solutions I’m tossing around are to do a 5-meo trip, find a spiritual mentor (this one can be a little tricky), contemplate spiritual development, just saying “fuck it,” or the method that could potentially being the most fruitful: claiming I’m enlightened on this forum and when other people challenge the claim, I’d be able to see where I stack up. 

I’m not too hung up on it but any thoughts are welcome, thanks everyone. 

Use how you feel as a guide. Are you happy, peaceful or still very prone to falling into depressive states, or anxiety, etc? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Pronevron I struggled with this for a long time as well. All I can do is re-interate what Nahm has said. Self enquiry is where it's at. Keep doing it and it will pay off. 

For most people, there isn't a huge enlightenment moment. There are just deeper and deeper insights over a period of time and it creeps up on you until you realise what you are. The real kicker is that you are already the thing that you're looking for, but you have to do the work to actually realise that!

Keep it up my friend and you will get there.  

Edited by Jonty

@Pronevron 5-MeO will show you where you're at. But you might be quite shocked at how little consciousness you have in your normal daily life. Atleast I was. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

If you’ve had an awakening. I would recommend picking up a traditional path. Zen or Theravada Buddhism, and sticking to it. There is great depth in traditions. People on this forum lack.

Post awakening this place will just be a place to reaffirm your beliefs and perspective. Nothing more. 

Will go something like this. 

“Post” 

random person : “non dual line from the non dual bible”

another person : “yes, non dual line from the non dual bible”

Yet another person : “no, non dual line from the non dual bible”

Also if 5 meo was all it’s cracked up to be. Most the people on this forum wouldn’t all be desperately clinging to their non dual beliefs with a ton of neurosis they deny. Most not in a permanent awakened state. Including Leo.

Nor would Martin ball. The primary advocate of said drug be having massive chemical imbalances within his system, that didn’t allow him to sleep for 6 days straight. 

I’ve done 5 meo too. More than a few times. Not just speaking without experience. 

Edited by Arhattobe