Pouya

Should I stop concsiousness work?

23 posts in this topic

I have a video game addiction. 2+ years and I'm steal dealing with it. Now I have to put a lot of hours into studying to become successful. To have a good life.

Youtube and video games completely stop me from studying. When I stop them, I get excessive boredom for all day long. 

I hate studying because it is completely pointless and empty. The only sustainable way of motivation to study comes from competition and silly numbers and points in exams. Which is completely hollow and empty. You get better that others, you get the good feeling to go on. You fuck it up, you feel like shit.

Enlightenment work and inquirying can be another cause of my resistance. I don't like studying, then I use this as another layer of resistance towards it. I look at studying as it is and see it's bullshit.

The problem is studying is absolutely crutual to my future and if I fuck it up, I will lose the only great chance in my life.

Should I stop consciousness work?

If not, how to do something you hate and overcome the boredom?

"Follow your dreams, follow your passion"

Bullshit. You can't do that if you're moralized to go a specific path in life.

More mindfulness i get, more suffering i see.

Yes, stop the work. Keep the consciousness. :) 

Why do you think studying will give you a good life? Do you really truly want the job that you're studying in order to get? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Pouya yes stop the conciousness work and study well focus on the career. With money you can choose your suffering. With out money you have to suffer what ever life throws you upon. 

Enlightenment is not going to feed you pay your bills and meet out your and your family expenses. 

@mandyjw Studying will just give me an oppurtunity to have good income.

It won't give me happiness.

My major is science. Best univeristy majors are medical and pharmacy majors. No i don't like them.

The only thing that I could really like about it is neuroscience. But this still doesn't motivate me to study.

Maybe concsiousness work made me dull and very unintrested in other stuff.( maybe not )

@Jkris Happiness is not the result of success/money/pleasure. Happiness is acceptence and I experienced it many times before.

This is the reason I don't like studying.

A task of memorizing and learing concepts to pay the bills.

9 minutes ago, Pouya said:

@mandyjw Studying will just give me an oppurtunity to have good income.

It won't give me happiness.

My major is science. Best univeristy majors are medical and pharmacy majors. No i don't like them.

The only thing that I could really like about it is neuroscience. But this still doesn't motivate me to study.

Maybe concsiousness work made me dull and very unintrested in other stuff.( maybe not )

You need to find something to pursue that lights you up. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Pouya@Pouya don't bring the true happiness here. Whether you like studying memorizing there are millions others ready to do that. 

You don't want to study thats fine but you should be ready to do the low paying physical effortful work with out cribbing.

Or may be you can choose some career related to psychology theraphist kind of career which is more aligned to your interest in conciousness work. Which will fetch decent money as well. 

But outright unwillingness to study you will end up poor. Who will give a job for your personal philosophies about happiness? 

@Jkris that's the point. Enlightenment will never fix all the problems. I still have to live, earn money, go on.

I guess i have to cope with boredom until it's gone.

1 hour ago, Pouya said:

I look at studying as it is and see it's bullshit.

@Pouya  You see studying related to-you not as it is . It's bullshit for whom ? 

And I think Conciousness work cannot be stopped , maybe the pace will change .

@Pouya You are under the illusion that the mind is the ultimate arbiter of your experience. Experience happens by its own, within you - which is to say you are more accurately an empty space of awareness. The mind then creates the world out of this experience through labels and words, and begins to rationalize it based on its precepts. Witness the mind - which is to say become aware of your real nature as the fact of awareness. You'll immediately see that what you thought was you (the mind) is really a phenomena occurring within the same space of awareness as everything else. The next step would be to witness the mind's tendency to hog your focus and energy, which results in self-limiting. This tendency is what must go, and when it does, all the problems you mentioned in your post will vanish into thin air. To get rid of that tendency, meditate properly. 

@Pouya 

Proper mediation, is any spiritual practice that produces the following effect:

You become witness to everything. You witness the world, your thoughts about it, your emotions. You witness objects and people. Doing so will somewhat orient awareness on awareness, that is to say you become familiar with the fact that you are more of an empty and imperceptible space inside which things happen. Let's call this pure being. Once this happens, the mind should not be very active. 

This is still not enlightenment because there is a duality between the witness and the objects of witnessing. For that to happen, all notions that one is a being who is witnessing the world must also go. All concepts and theories about the world, God, life etc must also go. All sense of personal existence must go. The thought "I am" should not even arise within you. This happens by giving up the mediation at the right moment, once the witness - or pure being - has been established in the place where the egoic "I am" for long enough and with the right amount of intensity. 

I had a similarish situation going on Pouya, and still to some degree. In matter of fact, I have a exam tomorrow but didn't study yet:D Because It's not within my field of interest. For myself, I don't want to, and won't give up consciousness work (much) in order to study or build a career

To do something about your gaming addiction. perhaps you could try, when you have a free day, to play a videogame you're most addicted at for a long time. Do it until you'd like to quit and then some more and some more. Until you feel that the drive is gone (to some degree), it will happen usually noticeably, and quit suddenly when doing this technique. Just don't take any pauses in between playing. It's an effective technique.

About your school, you could look at your ideas about studying. Probably stories are running in your mind that would be helpful to release. I've had/done the same thing and it's better now.

@Pouya @Pouya I struggled also with video game addiction I spend about 10000+ hours video gaming since I was 9, I am 21 now. I quit at the start of this year and the only thing that helped me was to terminate all my gaming accounts(Steam, LOL etc. ) and throw away my console. 

I regret it 0% and have no desire to go back. Since then I was slowly but steady able to indroduce new habits and interests into by life that before got consumed by gameing. 

The fundamental problem was gaming is in the short term far more gratifying than anything else, so when reading, working out or meditation was on the agenda, video games were the easy way to procrastinate on that. This is extra bad if you conditioned yourself over years and years to go the way of procrastination. 

Overall my life is alot more in balance, and I get alot of progress in toward my dreams. 

Burn the Boats!!! ???

Cortes Burn Boats.jpg

Edited by Alex

@Pouya

Maybe you should consider switching to career and profession before it's too late.

Are you more interested in hard work?

There's balance in this work. You have to work on enlightenment and your life purpose. So you study to get a good job/success and you also meditate to clear your head. If you want to play video games, go for it but balance is what keeps you from going insane.

Do the studying you have to do, plan it and then do your consciousness work. Plan your entire day based on study and consciousness work. After you've done your schedule for these things, go back to playing video games, and to be honest, you won't bother playing it because of the gains you get if you just learn how to balance

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

@Pouya  Fast from every thing and reconnect. None of them are bringing you happiness, and yet you persist. You forgot yourself. This is not you. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@FoxFoxFox Thank you.xD

@Waken Thanks :)

@Alex I tried many things but eliminating it forever is the best solution for me.

@Nahm Actually I've been trying to do it. So much attachment to video games and Youtube, then a great series of boredom. I'll go on to see what happens next :P

17 hours ago, Pouya said:

"Follow your dreams, follow your passion"

Bullshit. You can't do that if you're moralized to go a specific path in life.

More mindfulness i get, more suffering i see.

Do you have to do what others think you should do?