Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

Joseph Maynor Journal Vol. 13: Enlightenment & Ego: Integrating Soft & Hard Practices

325 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Journal Vol. 12

Journal Vol. 11

Journal Vol. 10

Journal Vol. 9

Journal Vol. 8

Journal Vol. 7

Journal Vol. 6

Journal Vol. 5

Journal Vol. 4

Journal Vol. 3

Journal Vol. 2

Journal Vol. 1

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Lead by example.  Be somebody who inspires and empowers others to become leaders.  Cut yourself some slack too but not too much slack.  If you pull the reins too hard the horse will buck; but the horse also wants and needs a certain amount of leadership from you too.  You and the horse need to become sort of one system.  This will lead to Interdependence, which is one of the coolest places you can get to in life.  Don't be a control-freak.  Allow things to be what they are just as much as you try to interfere with things.

Posted (edited)

LOOSE OBJECTIVE FOR THIS JOURNAL VOL. 13

This Journal will focus on Enlightenment and the relations between Enlightenment and other aspects of Personal Development work and other work that one might engage in -- including but not limited to Ethics or right action.  Ethics is not understood right in the way Enlightenment is currently taught.  Zen has some insights here that I hope soon to be able to explicate in these writings.  On the one hand there is no Ethics, that's true, but on the other hand there is.  In Zen they talk about this as the contrast between soft and hard teachings.  Right action can be real.  In many contexts it's legit to consider right action.  But you have to be smart and not cling to this in the wrong way.  This is an area where I find that a lot of people studying Enlightenment do not seem to understand well because the Mind likes to have only a single "one right view" and cling to that view in a context-independent way which defeats flexibility and nuance and context-dependence.  So, in this Journal I'm gonna try to integrate what they call in Zen soft and hard practices.  Soft practices are your Enlightenment practices, i.e., your work on locating being, transcending the Ego, and transcending the Mind.  Hard practices are your disciplines, your right living, your daily routine, your conduct, your work ethic, etc.  Soft practices and hard practices are like two sides of a single coin, and Zen does a great job of teaching this. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Lead by example.  Be somebody who inspires and empowers others to become leaders.  Cut yourself some slack too but not too much slack.  If you pull the reins too hard the horse will buck; but the horse also wants and needs a certain amount of leadership from you too.  You and the horse need to become sort of one system.  This will lead to Interdependence, which is one of the coolest places you can get to in life.  Don't be a control-freak.  Allow things to be what they are just as much as you try to interfere with things.

Posted (edited)

HOW I WAS EXPOSED TO ENLIGHTENMENT WORK IN 2015

Leo exposed me to Enlightenment work in 2015 and I kind of just worked on it and worked on it for a few years now and have made progress which has kept me interested.  Sure I have Ego flare-ups, but my level of peace of mind is so much better than it was before I started doing Enlightenment work.  I used to be one neurotic dude, with monkey-mind always chattering away.  Now I experience a lot of my day with no Mind at all.  My Mind is very tame and drowsy now, it likes to sleep.  I used to be caught up in the Mind without realizing that I didn't need to be.  And I think that's the thing that causes a lot of neurosis is that people don't have a space between themselves and their Mind.  They don't know that there's such a space.  And I think that alone is one of the great insights that one can learn by doing Enlightenment work.  It just takes you out of that whole Mind-Matrix so you can have some peace of Mind.  And then if you want to go into the Mind you can go into the Mind, but you can do it more consciously without being trapped in the Mind.   It takes a couple of years of working on it though.  I can attest that it is possible to make progress.  I didn't like Enlightenment when I first heard about it, I thought it was hogwash.  But then I just kept coming back to it and coming back to it, and every time I would come back to it I would get a little shift that would excite me more about it, and then more and more shifts, like that.  It's not one big shift, it's a series of small shifts and small insights that pile up over time.  But then after 3 or 4 years, it looks like one big shift, but it didn't really happen like that.  It's definitely kind of a journey that ones goes through.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

ON TEACHINGS

Teachings are like place-holders for the Ego-Mind as you work to (1) locate being, (2) transcend the Ego, and (3) transcend the Mind.  You don't learn to ride a bike straight away, you need training-wheels to start.  Teachings are like those training-wheels.  You can't omit the training-wheels, they're necessary.  But eventually, when you transcend the Mind especially, the training-wheels can be removed and you can just ride the bike by almost a kind of magic.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

REVISED IDEAL DAILY PUNCHLIST -- TO BEGIN MON 3/25/19

• Take vitamins
  • Get adequate protein
  • Meditation
  • Coding
  • Morning walk
  • Draft 3-day plan
  • Morning meds
  • Evening meds
  • Pushups/situps
  • Wash dishes
  • Evening exercise
  • Brush teeth AM
  • Brush teeth PM
  • Workday (6 hours minimum)
  • Shower
  • 2 standard drinks of alcohol maximum
Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT ALBUM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_(Judas_Priest_album)

Album cover:

Turbo.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

AVENUES & SOURCES OF GROWTH

Relationships and connection are an avenue for growth that I only recently fully started to appreciate.  I recall my buddy talking about all the lessons he learned from each girlfriend he had as I sat there perplexed.  Now I get it.  Top heavy people like me tend to over-emphasize thought as the vehicle and conduit for growth.  But no, you have relationships, you have contribution (projects), you have health and fitness, you have art (creativity), you have action (right conduct), you have meditation (connection with being), you have travel (especially international cultural travel), and probably others that I'm missing.  

Avenues and Sources of Growth:

• Thought
  • Relationships
  • Contribution (Projects)
  • Health & Fitness
  • Art (Creativity)
  • Action (Right Conduct)
  • Meditation (Connection with Being)
  • Travel (Esp. International Cultural Travel)

Posted (edited)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessing_in_Disguise_(Metal_Church_album)

Album cover:

51iMnSI+UIL.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

NOBODY WANTS A REAL ENLIGHTENMENT TEACHER AROUND

Nobody wants a real Enlightenment teacher around.  It's too devastating to your cherished beliefs and your Ego-Mind will resist it.  Teaching Transcendence of the Mind is like asking to be on the business end of a horse kick to the mouth.  What people want is either entertainment, distraction, or corroboration of their strongly held beliefs in an Enlightenment teacher.  But these are not real Enlightenment teachers.  A real Enlightenment teacher is a gadfly, a Socrates, someone who you probably can't stand, and somebody whose motive you probably misunderstand -- someone who eventually either gets killed or thrown out of the community.  It's just the way things must be.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

HOW TO PROPERLY TRANSCEND DUALITY -- A GENERAL TEMPLATE FOR USE WITH ANY MENTAL DUALITY

Not this, not that, not anything.  [Insert your favorite mental duality]

Most people only grok "not this, not that".  They miss the "not anything" part.  That's why you need Zen teaching to cover that final bit.  You can't beat duality with more duality.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

ON THE ISSUE OF CHOICE OR NO CHOICE  -- IT'S A THOUGHT DUALITY LAYING ON TOP OF BEING

When no thought is there, the issue of choice is not there.  There is no issue raised as to choice that is always there.  The issue of choice is only raised when a thought is present.  See, what the Mind wants to do is force this issue on every context without revealing that the issue itself is only a thought laying on top of what is happening.  The Mind says, this must be what's happening.  But that must is itself a thought.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

WHAT TRANSCENDING DUALITY LOOKS LIKE IN PRACTICE

What you do is transcend being hamstrung by the issue which is only created in the Mind.  It's thoughts flapping back and forth over being, nothing more.  It's blah bah blah.  Being is not hamstrung or dependent on blah blah blah.  So you carry water and chop wood and transcend letting these issues of the Mind distract you.  If you pick up a football and throw it, that has nothing to do with the Mind's blah blah blah about choice vs. no choice.  You just pick up the football and throw it and watch those thoughts, but you don't become fixated on them or sort of dominated by them.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

YOU CAN TAKE A PRAGMATIC INTERPRETATION OF EGO, IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO INTERPRET ALL CONCEPTS IN TERMS OF TRUTH

The Ego is a concept but it has utilitarian use or what you might call a "cash value" because it can be used in actual situations to raise consciousness about what happened or what you’re doing.  It’s a concept that may not be true per se, but it’s useful so we stick it in our knowledge grab-bag and bring it out every now and again to solve actual problems situations in contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragmatism

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

WHAT IS "TRUTH" REALLY?

What is truth?  Another word with associated meaning(s) that you decide to cling to or not?  In many matters and in many contexts reasonable persons can arrive at different conclusions regarding the same issues.  The Mind likes to think of truth as this oversimplified thing, a quality that the Mind projects on a lot of concepts and scenarios.  The Mind likes to abstract this “truth” as an analogy to very specific, empirically verifiable facts.  But there’s a hidden analogy being used by the Mind here -- it’s an abstraction and a projection that the Mind does.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

thought long about the cycling metaphor and somehow i wanted to share this with you: at some point we really might need a bigger bike!

F106DF1B-9368-4A1B-AFE7-B220BB1289EA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_(Metal_Church_album)

Album cover:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

ON RELATIONSHIPS

What little bit I know about relationships is you wanna shore up the connection at all costs.  Then you play within the connection.  You don't wanna play around with the connection, that just causes mistrust which rots the relationship from the inside out.  The connection of the relationship is sacred, It has to be defended and shored up.  Then you can be playful within the relationship.  That's how I see it anyway.  Taking shots at the connection in the relationship is the death knell of relationships.  My advice is to never take shots at the connection in any relationship that you want to keep.  You wanna do the opposite, shore that connection up under all circumstances.  Even when you fight, you gotta preface that by shoring up the relationship first by saying something like, "I wanna talk to you about something but I also want you to know that I cherish our relationship and I don't want this to come off as an attack on the connection of our relationship . . . [and then you state your grievance or what you want to discuss after saying that]."  But if you attack the connection of the relationship itself, it's like pouring lighter fluid into a potted plant, it will kill the relationship over time -- it might take a while, but eventually it will kill it unless you're with a really insecure partner, which in that case there's not much of a relationship there to begin with.  Stop shitting on the connection.  If you wanna raise a complaint say, "baby I love you and cherish our connection, but I wanna talk to you about this issue . . .  [then state your complaint]."

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

ON BELIEFS

A belief is a linear statement (a type of thought) purported to be true or reasonable to accept by the Ego-Mind; or a linear statement that the Ego-Mind has a vested interest in assuming is true or reasonable to accept for whatever reason.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Posted (edited)

THE MIND IS A MECHANISM THAT IS NOT CONNECTED TO OR INFORMED BY A WIDER REALITY

This is an interesting insight that I had a couple of weeks ago that I'm just now getting around to writing about.  We tend to take what the Mind says and alludes to us very seriously as if the Mind is connecting to some greater reality or tapping into some deeper thing beyond it and the Ego-Mind.  This is false though.  The Mind is actually a very crude and limited mechanism that is often wrong when it thinks it knows a deeper truth about reality.  Of course the Mind doesn't want you to know of its over-hyped nature; of its limited and crude mechanistic nature.  There is no deeper aspect of reality that the Mind is tapping into or revealing.  In fact, you'll see this in the many times that the Mind thinks something is happening or has happened and you realize ain't sh*t happened.  The Mind was wrong.  It's almost always wrong in that sense.  The Mind is a simple agent of the Ego mostly, but it tries to sell itself as something greater than that.  The Mind over-hypes itself and its thoughts and conclusions.  The Mind is actually a rather crude contraption or mechanism that you gotta learn to take with a grain of salt.  But yeah, the Mind is not connected to the Universe, to God, or to some larger intelligence.  Not at all.  I see that so clearly now.  The Mind is rather (usually but not always) a limited warning mechanism for the Ego that gets triggered when the Ego gets threatened in some way.  The Mind is almost always wrong when it thinks it knows something deeper about reality or starts to worry about something.  Notice that most of the time when you worry, the worry or the terrifying image is almost always false and doesn't pan out.  Don't think that the Mind is telling you anything about a greater reality, it doesn't have any control or any communication with the greater reality.  The greater reality is what it is and has nothing to do with the Mind.  And the Mind doesn't speak for the greater reality or even know the intent or the motive of the greater reality.  The Mind is more like Pavlov's Dog to the Ego rather than being an oracle or seer into something beyond itself.  When the Ego gets triggered, the Mind freaks, and that's the end of it.  And the Mind is not tapping into any will, motive, intent, or knowledge of any greater reality when it freaks.  It's just playing with possibilities, usually worst case scenarios in the form of worrying that doesn't actually mirror reality in any way directly.  The worrying is done to try to get you to take action to protect the Ego in light of being exposed to the space of possible threats to the Ego.  That's more how the Mind works: it's an agent for the Ego (mostly but not entirely).  It’s scary for the Ego to realize that the Mind is a mere limited mechanism with no higher powers or connections.  I felt this fear when I had this insight.  One of the ways the Ego feels safe is to think it  can know something about the will, motive, and intent of reality.  When the Ego realizes that it doesn’t have this, it’s a very scary thing that it will resist, and the Mind will rationalize accordingly to remove this Egoic anxiety.  This is basically where religion comes from and a lot of "need to know" comes from — from the Ego trying to feel safe and secure from unknowns and randomness.

Edited by Joseph Maynor