Aakash

what is a life with no desires?

51 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Aakash said:

@Arhattobe interesting, i'm lost for words 

at best what i can gather is: there is no becoming desireless 100% by trying

its too walk neither pathways, which means true desireless in a different kind of desireless than just not doing something. 

Becoming/doing and desire co-arise as simply activity of mind, which derives it’s substance from/as YOU. 

So if you see that directly, which is not an extraordinary experience by any means, then you see that desire is not essential. :)

Edited by Jack River

@Jack River taking into context that your still a person, figuratively speaking, then a lifestyle of choices, to give up vs not give up. desire is essential for that and thats the context in which i'm trying to put it, if i can give up desire 100% while i'm at it then why not. 

yes desire occurs because there is a you, and it is because desire is not essential to living/ be-ing that i asked the question :) 

what it means to be desireless

90 percent of posts on here are generated by bots using non dual talking points.

*reading post* 

*mentions desire*

*engage*

The real you is beyond desire. Desire is not essential to it. 

*mission successful*

4 minutes ago, Aakash said:

what it means to be desireless

''Not attending to others aka 2nd and 3rd person objects is desirelessness.

Not leaving 'I' aka the 1st person is Jnana.''

- Nan yar?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom No it’s not. Alan Watts was awake, but a drunk. He desired alcohol. Many other examples exist. That’s just one.

@Jack River After my comment too. Told you lol.

4 minutes ago, Preetom said:

- Nan yar?

The 0 perspective contains all perspectives. There is never any other perspective but that perspective?

Edited by Jack River

I found what Arhattobe said about the middle path to be true.

I let myself have desires but they are nothing more than nice thoughts I like to think about the future. If I find myself feeling like I need the future to fulfill me I know I'm not being present and I can always go back to being fulfilled in the present moment and being grateful for what I already have. Once you can ground yourself pretty well that way ans generally feel fulfilled, you can enjoy having visions of things you might like to do in the future and play around with trying to make them come about. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Preetom

- Nan yar?

This is good insight. The difficulty in following this technique is to not allow the mind to want to objectify the 'I' as an object. Keep awareness on awareness and you gain clarity. Bring your assumptions in this new light and the falsehood will burn away. What remains is your true self. 

Just now, FoxFoxFox said:

@Preetom

This is good insight. The difficulty in following this technique is to not allow the mind to want to objectify the 'I' as an object. Keep awareness on awareness and you gain clarity. Bring your assumptions in this new light and the falsehood will burn away. What remains is your true self. 

Exactly. 

We are the all-powerful, limitless Self. The power of attention is the power of grace. Whatever the power of attention shines on, it flourishes.

If attention is placed on 2nd and 3rd person objects(world, other people thoughts etc) , the delusion of maya and objective reality flourishes. And thus the Self gets obscured.

But, If attention is placed on the 1st  person aka 'I', our true Self shines and thus ignorance dies out of negligence.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 hour ago, Aakash said:

is it sitting in meditation and just being content with everything or like being able to sit with your eyes open, fully engaged with the present moment and content? 

Your question brings to mind the distinction between self-need based desires and trans-personal desires. Self-need based desires would be desires seeking personal pleasure and avoiding personal discomfort. For example, wanting to be right, wanting to control a situation, wanting attention wanting sex for personal pleasure, wanting to win an argument etc. There is also a form of desire that is trans-personal. For example a desire to explore and experience the magnificence of life. Imagine a child climbing trees, exploring streams and catching dragonflies. There is a pure desire to experience and participate in life. They aren't doing it to satisfy a personal agenda or to look good or for attention. Similarly, we adults can have a form of this trans-personal desire. A great way to tap into this is to go into nature and explore. For no other reason than to experience and become one with the magnificence of nature. It is sooo beautiful. It blows lower level self-need desires away.

There are also conscious states with an absence of desire. This may provide relief from the unpleasantries of self-need based desires - yet I would be open doors to trans-personal desires. They are absolutely beautiful.

7 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

@Preetom No it’s not. Alan Watts was awake, but a drunk. He desired alcohol. Many other examples exist. That’s just one.

What is your point?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Serotoninluv Right and the way i try to think about it, is to bring your base personal desire to bare minimal,where desire no longer hinders your daily lifestyle and survival. Thereafter everything you do is transpersonal, because its a benefit of the general routine you are following and enjoying. whereas at base level is everything that is sustainable to your way of living, diet, sleep, water, shower, toilet, etc are some examples. and nothing more than just sitting down doing nothing and enjoying it. 

its artificial in a way, where as transpersonal becomes the true beauty of life

@Preetom That having an unrealistic image of the path is harmful. Escapist, and fantasy chasing. 

Saying getting rid of the I perspective is the same as being desireless is one such image.

3 minutes ago, Preetom said:

What is your point?

He’s just adding a little rascality into the thread:)

3 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

@Preetom That having an unrealistic image of the path is harmful. Escapist, and fantasy chasing. 

Saying getting rid of the I perspective is the same as being desireless is one such image.

You are the totality of experience?

1 minute ago, Arhattobe said:

Good advice.

3 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

what do you mean by desireless?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

What is a life with no desires?

What is a life?

What is?

A life with no desire is something that cannot be pre-formulated. You can't have an image of such a life.

Sitting in the moment is doing exactly that.

@thesmileyone sitting in the moment, with no thoughts is what i thought desireless was lol thats what i mean by doing nothing