Aakash

what is a life with no desires?

51 posts in this topic

is it sitting in meditation and just being content with everything or like being able to sit with your eyes open, fully engaged with the present moment and content? 

1 hour ago, Aakash said:

is it sitting in meditation and just being content with everything or like being able to sit with your eyes open, fully engaged with the present moment and content? 

A life with no desire is something that cannot be pre-formulated. You can't have an image of such a life. Whatever image we can come up with, that will be a life of desire.

See how difficult and frustrating it is to accept this?

The ego can't ever have the cake. it fantasizes about the cake called enlightenment but it can never eat it. The beautiful cake is there but no one to eat it.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Aakash No. You want to become aware of your true nature and realize it as unconditional joy and peace. Anything else won't work. What you described there is not something "you" can do.

@Preetom thats fair enough, i'm trying to complete a repetitive conscious life as to lessen my desires for things, having no desire to do anything, the only thing left is to be absolutely still.. 

meditating but not trying to meditate 

or 

do nothing 

@FoxFoxFox I'm not trying to find true nature, unconditional joy or peace, i'm simply just trying to see what a life with no desire is like currently, as i've mentioned above, the most accurate decision , is to sit and do nothing, whether it is in bliss or not, you are still doing nothing. 

its like saying i'm willing to sleep for my whole life if that was an option. 

@Aakash Only realization will allow you to truly understand what life without desire means. Happily, a life without desire is happiness and bliss. Sitting and doing nothing without directing awareness on awareness is quite difficult. Of course, it can be done, but it will not produce desirelessness. 

Edited by FoxFoxFox

4 minutes ago, FoxFoxFox said:

Of course, it can be done, but it will not produce desirelessness. 

but it will be the closest thing to desireless no? what makes you say that it will not create desirelessness, if you simply enjoy just sitting and doing nothing?

Inquire into what is desire. Is desire even real? Where, how and why does it occur? 

Is desire anything more than a projection? 

@Aakash Because at some point you will have to stand up and follow your urges. Just sitting and doing nothing can only be done for so long. After a while you have to deal with your urges for eating, sleeping, moving, etc. and maybe follow desires such as being loved or a good laugh or mental stimulation. Only by realizing the truth of your existence, as a field of awareness rather than a localized ego, can you truly be desireless. That is, existing forever without desire emerging, ever. The best you can achieve with meditation are brief experiences of desirelessness. With realization, you will be permanently merged with your true being which is blissful, eternal, and desireless. 

@DrewNows Thanks, i've done this before which is why i have arrived at the need to do nothing

Your desires are karmic realities that exist post awakening and stabilising into non duality. 

You have no say in whether your body wants to breath, your craving for security, your fear of the unknown when shit gets real. 

Its easy to be in a high peak awakened state and think nothing matters when your subconscious issues aren’t being triggered. Does not mean they aren’t there.

Peoples ignorance of how deep the rabbit hole goes is tremendous.

Asides from all that. Your description of desirlelessness is actually aversion. Rejection. Fuelled by fantasies of utter completion and fears of the reality on the ground.

The middle path is neither falling into craving nor being enticed by the fantasy of aversion, transcendence. That is the biggest trap pre and post awakening into non duality.

@Arhattobe yeah okay i don't think your wrong there about aversion, it would be for now, i think that once you get used to it however, doing nothing that you will grow to like it and it will become effortless and then it would not be rejection. 

5 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

fears of the reality on the ground.

i didn't quite get this bit

5 minutes ago, Arhattobe said:

The middle path is neither falling into craving nor being enticed by the fantasy of aversion, transcendence. That is the biggest trap pre and post awakening into non duality.

so as foxfoxfox said, is it to become aware of awarness while sitting and doing nothing, what is the middle path to you?

@AakashYou think you can desire to be desireless? Still desire...

There can be no life (no you) without desire 

@Aakash Being aware of awareness is basic non duality. Irrelevant to what your speaking about or what I’m talking about.

My point simplified would be your idea of sitting down and being okay with it. Is due to a fantasy, a craving, of being complete without facing the world that ur non a fan of subconsciously. 

Not wanting to face the world, the fantasy it gives birth to, the thoughts surrounding it are all due to aversion.

In life people throw themselves into their cravings due to fantasies of being fulfilled. That’s one extreme.

Other extreme is monks and ascetics forcefully trying to rid themselves of craving. Refusing to acknowledge the word due to subconsious fear, chasing fantasies and thoughts like the ones that led you to write this post.

Which is what everyone the path falls for. 

Middle path is falling for neither.

I’d also add since your awakening. To chill. You’ll realise soon enough. No amount of being aware of awareness will rid you of your issues. Hence why every teacher had issues. True growth starts after full awakening.

Edited by Arhattobe

desire depends on YOU, YOU don’t depend on desire?

IF you see that all there is is YOU, you don’t get caught in this ‘this or that’ mind game. 

You don’t have to be aware of awareness. That’s just a stage for those who make things a gradual process of knowing who they are.  

Edited by Jack River

A great form of wisdom is always keeping in mind (seeing/understanding) that mind will always make shit way more difficult, progressive, and linear. 

Mind can be a rascal dudes?

Edited by Jack River

@Arhattobe interesting, i'm lost for words 

at best what i can gather is: there is no becoming desireless 100% by trying

its too walk neither pathways, which means true desireless in a different kind of desireless than just not doing something. 

1 hour ago, Preetom said:

A life with no desire is something that cannot be pre-formulated. You can't have an image of such a life. Whatever image we can come up with, that will a life of desire.

See how difficult and frustrating it is to accept this?

The ego can't ever have the cake. it fantasizes about the cake called enlightenment but it can never eat it. The beautiful cake is there but no one to eat it.

Right dude! 

The image and desire co-arise. Which also says that desire is not a essential to KNOWING/living.