Moreira

I wanting to learn to play a instrument a EGO desire?

24 posts in this topic

This weekend I went into a birthday party where there was people playing jazz music. I got seduced by how beauty the trumpet and saxo sounded and started fantasizing about visualizing me playing those instruments.

Ive been watching youtube covers, and instrument prices, and I dont know if its an obsession but I'm getting more attracted to the idea of start learning and buy a beginners cheap instrument.

Watching it from an outer persepective it seem my ego want to feel boosted by dominating a new skill like playing music. Or in the other hand is love by music as a healthy habit?

What do you think guys? It would be a distraction to my self-actalization and spiritual progress?

Don't overthink it. You desire it so go out and do it.

Its not wrong to satisfy egoic desires.

You have your entire life to self-actualize and that process will never stop.

Experience life.

Making music can also play an elemental role in you self-actualization journey and deepen your understanding about reality itself.

This is true for every skill that takes dedication and deliberate practice to master, (wether it's martial arts, drawing, geniune scientific inquiry or any spiritual school)

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Making music can also play an elemental role in you self-actualization journey and deepen your understanding about reality itself.

This is true for every skill that takes dedication and deliberate practice to master, (wether it's martial arts, drawing, geniune scientific inquiry or any spiritual school)

Totally agree with that. The process of mastering an instrument will put your ego on his knees and confront you with the resistance issue. To master something like that you need to transcend the instant gratification that most people fall prey to and surrender to the process.

Plus you get to experience what it's like to do something for it's own sake, without any expectation or achievement in mind but rather because you love it.(If you love it that is. If not than I don't think you will stay with it very long). It could be true for many other things but if you feel drawn to an instrument go for it I think.

At a certain point it can be reality meditative also. You don't think about anything you just let your inspiration and innate creativity guide you and you watch that happening.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Wanting to control desire is ego. Let go. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Art is the transcendent filling the holes left by ego. Ego is trying to trick you into not doing the work.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

On 3/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, Rilles said:

Wanting to control desire is ego. Let go. 

Wow... I love that.

Trying to control desire... sounds like moralizing to me. 

Or shoulding on yourself.

No.  But performing in front of an audience can benefit from a healthy Ego otherwise you don't have the confidence needed to do performance art.  Playing jazz is a performance art.  You gotta have a lot of balls to stand on a bandstand and play jazz in front of an audience.  The same holds true for any band or musician who plays live.  Without a healthy Ego you're not gonna be able to pull that off well.  And I'm speaking from experience from having played jazz trumpet live.  Plus you're gonna catch sh*t from other musicians sometimes and their inflated Egos and comments, so you need a big Ego yourself to rise above that criticism.  Otherwise you'll quit or go away.  You gotta be prepared for people to tell you you suck or that they don't like what you're doing musically.  It can be harsh.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

In my understanding, ego is an outward display of identity.

Ego is required to function on earth as well as enjoy life!

I play the guitar...

I also sing...

And I love to read and write...

If you ask me, yes, all of those things are ego in a way. They are outward displays of my "identity"

They are what makes me "me" in this physical experience.

And guess what?

There is nothing wrong with that! Life is to be lived and experienced... We are meant to expand ourselves and try new things... If something feels good we should do it! If we want to push ourselves to be the best we can possibly be at anything, heck yeah!!!

Don't be afraid of things being egoic... it's all part of the experience.

If music be the food of love, play on; - "Twelfth Night" or What You Will.

On 24/03/2019 at 11:20 PM, Rigel said:

Totally agree with that. The process of mastering an instrument will put your ego on his knees and confront you with the resistance issue. To master something like that you need to transcend the instant gratification that most people fall prey to and surrender to the process.

Plus you get to experience what it's like to do something for it's own sake, without any expectation or achievement in mind but rather because you love it.(If you love it that is. If not than I don't think you will stay with it very long). It could be true for many other things but if you feel drawn to an instrument go for it I think.

At a certain point it can be reality meditative also. You don't think about anything you just let your inspiration and innate creativity guide you and you watch that happening.

Not when you are a music writer producer.

It's 99% grind & pain & e.s.t.h.e.t.i.c

Sometimes the Magic opérate and your mess take shape.

If you were aware of the work it takes to put 10 goods pièces of Electronic music. You would better accept a job at a Factory.

Sure instruments are a thing that needs world work alone.

What about understanding the entire metaphysical realms of fréquency and music. When thing intertwin and mix and you need to keep everything in a relative balance that makes sense

" Electronic music is easy "  hummmmm lel. Alright it dépend. But we are talking contextual quality today.

Music production aimed toward label quality and genuinely original.

Purgatory

5-10 years of work at list to a sincere alone mastery. I m talking working everyday.

Your break are not because you're lazy but because your ears cry for help

Edited by Aeris

@Aeris The grind and pain are part of it and not to be denied nor be feared.

I don't know about producing but I have been dedicated full time to mastering my craft and writing and I have come to enjoy the times of struggle.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Play that fucker every day. It’s a practice in discipline and the joy of playing could brighten up your day! 

I balanced th decision and it has more negative than positive:

I watch youtube covers and my ego set high standards and obiously start daydreaming.

Ill buy the instrument (which are expensive), start learning and will never sound like the pros. Also because most youtube instrumental covers are super edited and treated with software.

My ego will get angry and frustrated, being unable to achieve what he daydreamed. And this will led to suffering.

Can be £10,000+ I knew someone who played in a Brass band. They played an instrument the size of a bugle, it wasn't though.

You should melt away your ego with a lot of body awareness first. And then you can dedicate your time to all the activities you want I fell into a huge trap of the ego I got a schizophrenia attack and made a huge mess. Now I have also a phisical disorder (maybe your situation is not like that) but you should first purify yourself take also the life pourpose course and listen to resistence and the amateur game. I regret that i havent purified myself first.

You can and you should develop your left hand and leg with a handball ball wich could increase the effect of the emotional labour that you will put in.