How to be wise

The Work of Byron Katie: How-to Guide

30 posts in this topic

Question 4: who would you be without that thought?

Thanks man! 

Can you help me with this one? 

Situation: My boss bought bottles of champagne whilst some coworkers were still waiting for their pay. He should not have done that (imo).

Is it true? Yes, he did that. But no, the last sentence is not true as he did what he did and that is the truth. 

How do I react? I get triggered as a stage green dude. I get angry. I can feel it in my stomach and then spreading through my body. 

Who would I be without that thought? I would be calm, relaxed, doing my work. 

Turnarounds: He should have bought champagne instead of paying the team? That just does not feel true to me. 

Can you assist? 

On 26/03/2019 at 5:42 PM, okulele said:

@How to be wise Is it better to do with a specific moment in history? What about working with compulsive thoughts that come almost daily? Would you pick one of the moments they occurred or just worked with the thought by itself?

Pick a specific moment in time when you were suffering from that thought, and Work on that.

On 26/03/2019 at 8:20 PM, cle103 said:

Thanks man! 

Can you help me with this one? 

Situation: My boss bought bottles of champagne whilst some coworkers were still waiting for their pay. He should not have done that (imo).

Is it true? Yes, he did that. But no, the last sentence is not true as he did what he did and that is the truth. 

How do I react? I get triggered as a stage green dude. I get angry. I can feel it in my stomach and then spreading through my body. 

Who would I be without that thought? I would be calm, relaxed, doing my work. 

Turnarounds: He should have bought champagne instead of paying the team? That just does not feel true to me. 

Can you assist? 

That’s good, but the Work is meditation. Are you meditating on this? Each question, spend a few minutes really meditating on your answers.

But more importantly, you have to realise that you won’t get total freedom from just one worksheet. The ego structure causes your suffering, and that is what The Work is dismantling. Don’t expect the really good results until like 3-4 months into your daily practice.

When you finish this worksheet, pick another disturbing situation in your past and get to Work on that one. Then the next. And so on. As you do many worksheets, you will get massive relief from negative emotions, but not in the way you are expecting. 

If you do this Work long enough, it wakes up inside you. You will notice that your mind is undoing beliefs all by itself! Until the entire belief structure collapses and eternal peace and bliss is reached. Don’t stop till you get there!

Good luck my friend.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Thank you very much for this thread! This is really helpful.

Two of the links, @nahm has posted, don't work anymore.

https://thework.com/ covers the dead links though. The "Downloads" Button offers a lot of worksheets, in different languages. :)

I compiled a file in which all essential informations are + some nice words of guidance from @How to be wise. I hope you don't mind that I borrowed some of your instructions, but they're a great addition to what can be found here: https://thework.com/instruction-the-work-byron-katie/

This way you can print out the explanations and meditations in a compact, structured way. 3 pages, all essentials.

The Work.pdf

Reviving this thread!

This is something I read today, which shows how deep any practice can go. Intriguing how The Work can become a way of living:

Q:  I heard you say one time, that as you do The Work you undo the knot up to a point, and then The Work undoes them.

Katie: That’s exactly so. What I hear people say is they do The Work for a while, and then inside of them it’s what I just described. They say: "my husband doesn’t love me" or "my family doesn’t love me" and it’s awake. And  "is it true?" or "who would I be without my story" or "what do I get when I hold to it" - one of those or the turnaround will kick in before you have an opportunity to stop it. It becomes so subtle. It's a going back to who we naturally are without our story. Also, if you do the work long enough it’ll finally come through your language your own sentence, and it will mutate you from your own understanding. It may not sound like 'is it true?' it won’t even be an experience, it’s alive inside of you. There are no words for it, like this was born without words, and it just found them, so it’s born in you with words, and you lose them, backward.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Loving Radiance I became enlightened through the work, took me only two years. Even though it wasn’t designed as a technique for achieving enlightenment, that’s exactly what it is.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie