noselfnofun

Becoming a monk

7 posts in this topic

Dose anyone on this forum have any plans on becoming a monk? What are your opinions on becoming a monk. 

I think it is actually an amazing thing to do, working full time on enlightenment and not harming a soul in the process, well of course there are cases of monks doing bad things but a good step in right direction. I don't think I would every fully ordain myself but definitely would like to live with monks for a long period. Especially when I get older. 

@noselfnofun The problem with monk hood in an organised organisation is you will have to adhere follow what they say.So live like a monk in home.

3 hours ago, Jkris said:

@noselfnofun The problem with monk hood in an organised organisation is you will have to adhere follow what they say.So live like a monk in home.

There is that, but surely you would make way more progress there then living at home. There are places you can go where you are on silent retreat 24/7 

While being a monk sounds really nice. There's something in me that really feels like it wants to impact the world and have a real influence in this lifetime.
Becoming a monk basically means you leave society and just work on yourself. In my eyes it seems so egocentric, I don't know. I am probably wrong about this. 

Edited by Tistepiste

I thought about taking residence at a Zen monastery but I couldn't hack the robes and rituals.