Callum Milner

Letting go: The most powerful spiritual/self help method I have ever found 4+ years .

13 posts in this topic

Hi, been doing personal development since 2013 in high school after discovering actualized.org. Started it to deal with my crippling shyness and social phobias and began a challenging but extremely rewarding journey, going from wanting to be successful, to moving towards spirituality and fulfillment of my potential as reaching higher states of lovingness. Kind of gone of actualized.org and focus on spirituality and working with coaches which led me to by far the most effective self development tool and principle, letting go.

It is a meditation technique although rather than being done in separate meditation sessions it can be done continuously all the time while at work, talking to people etc. It seems to have all the benefits of meditation but is much more rapid.

Basically the principle behind it is we carry a huge reservoir of negative feelings, the letting go technique is simply allowing a negative feeling whenever it comes up, it is then relinquished and never comes back. E.g someone has grief over a break up, normally the emotions are kind of suffered through, or repressed via tv etc. Letting go would involve sitting with the feeling and not trying to change it, until eventually it runs out. 

This is the whole basis for the technique when you sit with a feeling and allow it fully without trying to change it, eventually it runs out and is replaced with a lighter feeling. There is no limit to this, you can literally release every painful emotion as it comes up, eventually you enter a state of unconditional love, it is even possible (veritably by the author of a book below and other experiences) to reach an enlightened state through this technique (since the basis of spirituality at it's core is surrender at depth to truth and god) . If have had this absolutely confirmed in my experience and many others, that you can continuously use this technique and become progressively happier and happier, and free from negativity, as well as beginning to transcend your feelings more and more the more you practice it. It's like an antivirus setting your life into an upward spiral, by clearing out all negativity as it arises. Using this non resistance and feeling the emotions as they arise you can resolve any pattern as it comes up, and resolve it for good, e.g fear depression.

It's not pleasant sometimes because it involves actually feeling your emotions, but the payoffs are enormous.

I mainly learned the technique from this book, which I highly highly recommend, have read somewhere around 50 self help books (many from leos book list)none have been as powerful as this. https://www.amazon.com/Letting-David-Hawkins-M-D-Ph-D/dp/1401945015

Also this video below provides a nice summary and all you need to use the technique if you don't want to buy the book. 

I'm happy to talk over skype or facebook if anyone wants to talk about the benefits of this technique in person, or I can guide you through how to do it, send me a message.

Edited by Callum Milner

Thanks for your post Callum. It has come at a good time for me. A good reminder for me. I am too tense this week.

Osho has said, the ideal Sanyasin has an approach to life: "they do not care one bit how life turns out, and they dont bother about needing things to be a certain way."

The book The Diceman and Yesman discusses this princiapl in an extreme fashion: roll the dice, have pre picked choices, and whatever the dice rolls on you live it and and let it happen.

Whatever happens, happens. Let go.

Great writing of yours.

Yes, it is indeed a good technique, as long as it is done the way you described. Too many people use the idea of "letting go" as a technique of forcefully fighting against their emotions and getting rid of them, like their anxiety or whatever other problem they might have, but that is just suppression. Feeling angry? "Oh, just let go, there's no reason to be angry and yada yada yada you shouldn't be angry." That type of stuff. The correct way to do it, like you describe, I would describe as an openness to all experience, including the most painful emotions like depression. Which is pretty much the same as "doing nothing".

With this attitude there isn't really any need for a "letting go" technique because there is nothing you want to get rid of, if that makes sense, so it would be pretty much useless to anyone who want to manipulate their experience. Because why would you? That's at least how I experience it.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@Commodent

Yes I agree.

Osho has said, "be a yes man to life." Meaning, anything that happens, fully embrace it and say yes to it.

Feel angry, say yes to it and embrace it.

Feeling happy, say yes to it.

In that regard, you are right; 'letting go' doesn't fit. It's more like, allowing what is to be.

".....No, that is not the way of a sannyasin, Gayan. A sannyasin has no expectations from existence; he simply flows with the existence without any resistance. The sannyasin allows existence to have its own course; wherever it leads, the sannyasin is ready to go with it. The sannyasin has no destination, no goal as such. And then these glimpses (of God) will be coming more and more.

"...Perfectionism is a kind of neurosis; it is neurotic — it is a beautiful name for neurosis. Gayan, drop that idea. Just be ordinary, simple, nobody, and then things will start happening in leaps and bounds.

That’s what I mean when I emphasize again and again the philosophy of let-go. Let-go is my only approach towards life and existence."

http://www.oshodhara.org.in/blog/2015/10/flow-with-life-osho/

@Commodent yes I definitely struggled with this it the start wanting to get rid of it, which of course was resistance and the emotions stayed. Only when I accepted them without wanting to change them they began to dissipate.

The Sedona method suggests a few questions to let feeling go: may I allow the feeling to be? could I let it go? would I let it go? when?

Is it resistance or letting go?

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

<3 letting go

<3 Doc Hawkins 

Cool that you linked that video - I've spoken to that guy (Josh Vos) personally and he spent many years attending Doc's lectures and even volunteered for veritas pub. Really cool dude.

Have you read Power Vs. Force or any other of his works?

I try to be more specific. I've read the "letting go" book. There wasn't any specific technique, so I used the Sedona method which questions a feeling and trying to let it go. Now I am wondering whether this is the suboptimal approach. Maybe, the better approach would be to put the awareness on feeling and stay with it as much as possible, without trying to resist feeling. Am I getting the "letting go" technique right? 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@dimitri the technique is in the chapter called the mechanism of letting go but it's easy to miss (trust me I struggled with resistance and thoughts like am i getting it right as well). Basically all it is is relinquishing control allowing the feelings to be there without trying to change them. It's a surrender to what is, and allowing things to be as they are, it is simply a decision. Can be tricky at first.

@Arman yes actually I own 8 of his books, he's pretty much the only source I read from now cause anything else besides hawkins doesn't feel as deep haha.

7 hours ago, Callum Milner said:

@Arman yes actually I own 8 of his books, he's pretty much the only source I read from now cause anything else besides hawkins doesn't feel as deep haha.

Nice, I love his books, too. 'I - Reality and Subjectivity' is one of wildest books I've ever read.