How to be wise

Experiencing Nothingness

32 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I experienced nothingness for the first time. It was amazing, but it’s impossible to describe. It wasn’t nothingness like ‘a black hole’ or some empty void. No, everything was still there, but it was nothing. The best description that I have so far is that: everything was still there, but nothing could be said about it. To even say that it exists is already just a belief. Nothing could be said about it that would be true, therefore it is nothing. But the ‘perception’ didn’t change; I was still looking at the room, but there was no belief. There wasn’t even a me looking at the room, because that itself is another belief.

It’s a very slippery notion to talk about. For some reason, I wasn’t even surprised when this experience came to me. The only thing interesting about it is that, by definition, it cannot be explained. Amazing.

Btw, no psychedelics were involved in this experience. I’ve never taken psychedelics before ever. This was a ‘clean’ experience.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Interesting.But you said you all ready don't have the sense of me for several months.

But you are saying you are experiencing nothingness for the first time.

So nothingness is not you ? Or nothingness is an experience ?

So who are you now ?

@How to be wise Nice.

Does nothing come prior to everything? Do they coexist?

Where are you in all of it? Are you nothing? Are you everything? 

Or are you both simultaneously?

Is there a difference at all?

I had a similar experience recently and it was blissful. What were you doing prior to this experience to bring it on? 

2 hours ago, Jkris said:

@How to be wise Interesting.But you said you all ready don't have the sense of me for several months.

But you are saying you are experiencing nothingness for the first time.

So nothingness is not you ? Or nothingness is an experience ?

So who are you now ?

Yes, I’ve had a semi-permanent awareness for a few weeks that there is no me. But I wasn’t conscious that the whole world is nothing. I was only aware that ‘I’ is just an idea. 

This is the first time that the outside world collapsed into nothingness. It of course includes me not existing.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 hours ago, ivankiss said:

@How to be wise Nice.

Does nothing come prior to everything? Do they coexist?

Where are you in all of it? Are you nothing? Are you everything? 

Or are you both simultaneously?

Is there a difference at all?

‘Everything’ is just a concept. There is only nothingness. And of course that includes that I don’t exist either. 

31 minutes ago, Surfingthewave said:

I had a similar experience recently and it was blissful. What were you doing prior to this experience to bring it on? 

The Work of Byron Katie. I’ve been doing it for a year now, and the results are pouring through much faster than expected.

2 hours ago, ivankiss said:

@How to be wise Yes. But concepts are also real.

Let’s analyse what a concept is. 

A concept is what the thought is telling you, not the thought itself. For example, a thought says “Everything exists.” Note that this isn’t the thought itself, but what the thought is telling you. 

I’m saying that what the thought is telling you is false. Everything does not exist. It’s not true that everything exists, but it is true that that is what the thought said. 

Thoughts are real, but their claims are not factually true (it’s true that they said it though). 

So now, here’s the mind twister: a thought said that “thoughts are real”. The claim is false, but the fact that the thought said that is true. 

So what happens if you stop believing what thoughts are telling you. Unbelievably, the world stops existing, and only ‘nothing’ is real.

6 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Btw, no psychedelics were involved in this experience. I’ve never taken psychedelics before ever. This was a ‘clean’ experience.

@How to be wise Don't worry. 
Nobody treats your experience as inferior because you haven't tried psychedelics.
Even if you did try them, they wouldn't 'stain' you. Do they feel like cheating to you?

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

2 hours ago, tedens said:

@How to be wise could you explain what is work of Byron Katie, what is that practice?

I will make a post about it soon, including how to do The Work super effectively.

Thought is telling you  understand, but do you really understand?

1 minute ago, purerogue said:

Thought is telling you  understand, but do you really understand?

I don’t understand what you mean ?

Just now, How to be wise said:

I don’t understand what you mean ?

Do you really not understand, or you only think that you don't understand? :D 

13 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@How to be wise Don't worry. 
Nobody treats your experience as inferior because you haven't tried psychedelics.
Even if you did try them, they wouldn't 'stain' you. Do they feel like cheating to you?

Well, from what I understand about psychedelics, you can’t retain the experiences that you have. After the trip, they leave without any trace left.

The experiences I get from inquiry are different. It’s pretty weird, but the experience is semi-permanent. What I mean is that the experience stays with you permanently, but you have to concentrate to experience it. It’s not 24/7. Anytime I like, I can focus on that experience, and it returns for as long as I hold the concentration. I can usually do it for about a minute.

2 minutes ago, purerogue said:

Do you really not understand, or you only think that you don't understand? :D 

Good question. It’s not true that “I don’t understand”. That is what the thought is saying. What the thought says isn’t true, but it’s true that it said it. ?