brugluiz

Spiral Dynamics and academic works

5 posts in this topic

Hi, guys!

Do you use Spiral Dynamics in your academic works?

Here in Brazil, I noticed that maybe our universities are very Orange and going towards Green. My professors, for example, state firmly their rational-scientific thinking and are very against religion (reactive to it) admitting they're atheists.

There are some few professors who seem to be Green and, if I'm not wrong, there are even Spiral Wizard professors who try to integrate every aspect of the spiral.

I wonder how I can use Spiral Dynamics (and similar models) in my academic works. Is it okay to do so? Or will I face extreme opposition of my professors? One of the statements of my university is 'Ars et Scientia', Arts and Science. I think this statement opens doors towards aspects of spirituality and consciousness.

What are your experiences? How do you use Spiral Dynamics and similar models in your academic work? Is Spiral Dynamics considered science? How can I build arguments to use Spiral Dynamics?

I study Animation Design, but I'm studying many theoretical disciplines like Scientific Research, Ethics and Sustainability.

I think you shouldn't. Maybe it will be like that in 100 or 200 years but not now. 

Universities are very......weird.

A recall taking a philosophy class. The lecturer said she had studied it for 40 years and had a conclusion that all our knowledge is only possible because of history.

........So when I asked her if she had the same conclusion after taking LSD?

She said she never took LSD ever.

You see what I mean?

@brugluiz I would say it depends on the country and institution. In the U.S., large academic universities tend to be less personable and more focused on teaching content within their field. Small liberal arts colleges tend to be more personable and allow more fluidity. Socially, I think both universities and colleges in the U.S. are trending into Green. For example, acceptance of LGBTQ, use of nongender pronouns, diversity workshops etc.

My experience in science departments in large U.S. universities is that they are hyper-focused and contracted within their scientific paradigm and do little to integrate between disciplines. There is very little interaction between departments and most professors are much more concerned about securing grant money and publishing than teaching. In contrast, small colleges pride themselves in being inter-disciplinary. Yet most courses and professors stay within their field. I would say there is opportunity to evolve upward. As a professor in a small college their is a lot of flexibility in course content. I'm in a science department and have taught a seminar on the evolution of consciousness. In my neuroscience course, I integrate the molecular/cellular level of science with lessons from psychology, metaphysics, meditation, social consciousness etc. For example, schizophrenia is a condition with many aspects - integrating various views gives a more holistic picture. As well, there has been interesting work examining the neuroscience of meditation through brain scans. This would be at a Yellow level, yet it is still fairly rare since a teacher would need to go outside of their comfort zone and learn about new things in other fields. This takes a very open mind and humility - yet I think this type of integration will increase in the future. . . . As a student, I would look for an institution that offers courses that appear yellow and an institution that has at least a couple professors that seem like they are at yellow. Yellow can thrive in academic settings, yet there is resistance to Turquoise. 

@Andreas, maybe I can use Spiral Dynamics just to understand the perspectives of my professors. It's an Animation Design course, so it has some shades of Green due to acceptance of LGBTQ and feminism.

@JohnnyBravo, I never took LSD neither any entheogens. I think it's possible to do a lot of emotional work without them. But I didn't take them yet because I'm on medicines (Schizoaffective Disorder, but maybe my diagnosis will change to just Bipolar).

@Serotoninluv, thank you! I think your career explains a lot your nickname, lol. My college allows some fluidity, but there are still some strict disciplines. It's nice to learn that you work with neuroscience! I'm diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder, but my psychiatrist is not very sure about this diagnosis (maybe I have just Bipolar). I like the explanation created by Sean Blackwell regarding to Bipolar Disorder because he uses Spiral Dynamics to explain it. But, yeah, I think using Spiral Dynamics in my academic works depends even on the professor.