Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

Do you read all the books a book recommends?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Currently I am reading the original SD book and when I decided to look how many pages the book has, I saw the list of books. It was incredible. How many books did those guys read to make a model like this? 

My question is if you would recommend me to read all of them. I am in my teen years and don’t know if all of what that book recommends would be good for me. I am only at like page 62 so I have a long way to go.

Do you even read recommended books in books? 

Seems to me like you focus too much on "what else do I need to do". Instead focus on this one book and think "how can I extract the most powerful insights out of this and what is really worth putting down and remembering?" Think of it like a juice extractor, extracting the liquid part and removing all the cellulose. 

Honestly by focusing on what you "need to do" you will drive yourself mad. "now" is all there is. Give it your 100% of your focus and once you finish the book and extract everything there is to extract, listen to your intuition when picking next book, I always go for the one that kinda resonates with me the most at that point of time. You will know it when you see it, can't really explain. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

And then are you going to read the books that the recommended books also recommend? And then the recommendations of the books that were recommended by other recommendations? 

And so on and so forth

I think you should do that - you might end up reading every book ever written. Imagine how smart you'd be then?

@Ampresus These people read so much to put that book together for you.
Going through them again yourself may be beneficial, but only partially with respect to SD.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Ampresus what you can do after reading a book is looking into recommended books and read one of them you really like or a book that you think is beneficial for you right now. 

Also don't worry too much about learning from books. You probably won't remember the majority of the content and this is fine. Just start to love reading. It can be very enjoyable and even meditative. Over time you will get wiser. 

No. I do check out the recommendations a book has. I read based on what I wish to learn. And topics that I'm struggling with in real life. So say I have a problem forgiving someone. Then I check if there are books on forgiveness which I can read and put into practice immediately. So I have a list of to-read books from recommendations. And then when the time comes, I check out if any matches my situation. Then I read that.