Andreas

Uploading consciousness to a computer

29 posts in this topic

There has been some talk about this. Is this bullshit? What is your opinion about it?

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

There has been some talk about this. Is this bullshit? What is your opinion about it?

I think it's legitimate. It's not in conflict with spirituality.

Edited by CreamCat

Consciousness is not a thing.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

computers are made out of consciousness

unborn Truth

8 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

computers are made out of consciousness

Are you conscious of how they are made out of consciousness? Did you just create it in your consciousness?

Can you create a new computer for me out of your consciousness?

Edited by CreamCat

16 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Are you conscious of how they are made out of consciousness?

no. this is the core mystery of existence.

16 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Did you just create it in your consciousness?

the universe did/does.

17 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Can you create a new computer for me out of your consciousness?

it happens when you buy a new computer.

i think you're just confusing what you call by "you". the closest that you can come from grasping the absolute perspective with the mind is by replacing every pronoun by "god", "universe", "reality", "existence" or something like that. consciousness is the fabric of reality. i don't have consciousness. this body and this mind are made out of consciousness.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya I'm curious about the OP's question, yet not using the term "consciousness". Do you think it will be possible to upload memories to a computer in the future? I've noticed AI is arising to decode brain activity. For example, a person watches a movie and a computer decodes their brain activity back to the movie. This computer-generated movie is low resolution, yet one can clearly see it is a low-resolution version of the original movie. The resolution will likely keep getting better over time - similar to how photographic resolution has increased. This makes me think that someday AI may be able to download human memories, thoughts and stories. The implications of this would be enormous. 

8 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@ajasatya I'm curious about the OP's question, yet not using the term "consciousness". Do you think it will be possible to upload memories to a computer in the future? I've noticed AI is arising to decode brain activity. For example, a person watches a movie and a computer decodes their brain activity back to the movie. This computer-generated movie is low resolution, yet one can clearly see it is a low-resolution version of the original movie. The resolution will likely keep getting better over time - similar to how photographic resolution has increased. This makes me think that someday AI may be able to download human memories, thoughts and stories. The implications of this would be enormous. 

Can you source this ?

@Serotoninluv uploading memory to a computer is completely possible in theory. the current barrier is our engineering skills.

keep in mind that uploading memory is thousands miles away from allowing a computer to behave like a person, as lay people think. in order to make a computer behave like a person, every mechanic of the brain would have to be mimicked such as learning and decoding inputs. also, the brain is not the only node of processing for decision making... the spine, the heart and the gut are also capable of making decisions on their own.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

So would you be able to live inside a computer as long as you want? 

24 minutes ago, Andreas said:

So would you be able to live inside a computer as long as you want? 

who is "you"?

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, ajasatya said:

who is "you"?

Get real please.

1 minute ago, Andreas said:

Get real please.

more real than this is impossible.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya Would you think it is possible to be consciously reborn inside an artificial machine/human in comparison to an animal? Considering the "philosophy" of death and rebirth or samsara? Or Bardo realm in case you are familiar with it? ( I am not only heard this from an audiobook).

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

@ValiantSalvatore what reborns?

it's impossible to really know the answer to this kind of question if you haven't fully realized True Nature. whatever i say will sound like dogma.

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

Would you think it is possible to be consciously reborn inside an artificial machine

This was a theme in the series Westworld. I thought they did a really good job with twists.

@ajasatya Consciousness itself? Void etc. yet I don't know what that is. I can see that self-inquiry or inquiry is important, yet I am doing currently doing a loving-kindness practice + vipassana. (*bark*). I triggered a monk on a retreat. Not sure if I should feel proud. I waited for bark bark appeared. 

@Serotoninluv I recommended the show to a friend who studies a.i I did not watch it fully, he was hyped and mad that I did not watch it. "Our" region is quite progressive in this part of tech. Zedd brought out a new music video he is from my hometown, the video has an A.I Robotics theme. 

I'll just leave this.

7 hours ago, ajasatya said:

it happens when you buy a new computer.

That's disappointing. I wanted a new free computer.

7 hours ago, ajasatya said:

no. this is the core mystery of existence.

If it is a mystery to you, how are you even aware that everything is made out of consciousness?

Edited by CreamCat

3 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

I triggered a monk on a retreat.

If he is triggered easily, don't take him seriously because he doesn't have emotional mastery. I haven't seen Leo triggered.

4 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

If it is a mystery to you, how are you even aware that everything is made out of consciousness?

you can be aware of the fabric of reality, but you cannot know how it happens.

unborn Truth