Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FoxFoxFox

Brenton Tarrant and New Zealand shootings.

7 posts in this topic

Well this is not directly connected to enlightenment but I would like to say something about the recent killings in New Zealand. 

I want to talk a bit about the kind of environment and society that produces people like Tarrant. The thing is that the environmental factors which shaped him to do what he did are quiet common. In fact, the way most human cultures are nowadays, the seed of tyranny is firmly planted in the heart of every man since childhood. As men, we are taught to detach. To literally become numb to the emotions, feelings, and emotional being of not just other people, but ourselves. We are taught that as men, we do not cry. That we are impervious to pain. That we are not allowed to feel jealous, weak, vulnerable, abandoned, or too attached. "Men don't cry" after all. But ignoring our inner experience is costly. Tarrant was only able to do what he did because he had no understanding of what suffering is. He was so easily able to kill dozens of people in the fashion that he did, because his senses were dulled to the point that they fed him no feedback. Our sons first experience his world through feelings, but then we teach them to ignore and repress them until they become dull. Then we feed them our thoughts about the world. WE teach them to killers. WE teach them to be ice cold and uncaring. WE teach them to hate their fellow men based on the color of skin. And above all else, WE teach them to hate others for the ideas they hold. Humanity must broaden their perception to see the simmering danger. The sad truth is that its not. I suspect much worse to come in the coming two years.

Also this relates to "the path".

As spiritual people we employ detachment as a tool for enlightenment. The realization is however, that there has never been ignorance. What does that teach us? That we should not be blind to the full richness of our direct experiences because it IS enlightenments. What we called thoughts is God. What we called emotions is God. What we called feelings is God. All the extra sensory information is God. Detachment is good until we realize our true nature. Afterwards, itself must go for God to be able to shine through ever brighter. It's time for a richer perception of consciousness. 

@FoxFoxFox Yeah I'm not sure what sort of environment makes someone like that man. The video he uploaded made me physically sick and he sounds borderline psychotic in his manifesto.

On to the other point you made about how men are raised. Well the "detachment" that men are traditionally taught is not the same sort of detachment you learn form consciousness work. The word detachment can have different meanings and hence you might confuse what the word means in different contexts. You could probably look at whatever buddhist word people use for detachment, it probably has a more specific meaning for what is meant by detachment in consciousness work. The detachment you learn from Enlightenment work leads to you loving all parts of reality equally. It's about union with reality. Western masculinity has this schizophrenic attitude of "dominating" reality and "conquering" it, rather than becoming in tune with it. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao Yes. The detachment involved in consciousness work is objectifying your direct experience to untangle the feeling of "I-ness" from it - with the sole purpose being to get rid of the ideas we hold about ourselves. The detachment taught to men is a denial of experience. "Men don't cry" is a denial of vulnerability. 

On the subject of Tarrant, we cannot dismiss him as mad or psychotic. Remember that no matter how evil the man might seem, he is still not separate from God. Its our responsibility to recognize how the environment which we make causes for people like him to manifest. 

Edited by FoxFoxFox

Based on the little I looked into it it seems like he was really invested in some racist fears. Some of the talking points are quite common among certain communities and youtubers.

@Markus Yes and racism is purely based on beliefs. It has no foundation in anything else. It is thoughts that enable it. Unfortunately, as you said, it is very common. The problem with the internet is that online communities are always fall into extremes. YouTube and twitter for example vehemently censor all sorts pro-white/pro-men content which only causes further resentment. On the other hand we have websites where racist/hateful thought is dogma. There is no middle ground for both sides to meet and reconcile their differences. The way to deal with hate and racism is not ignore and deny it. We should acknowledge it and work with the individuals to alleviate their fears. People don't hate others based on the skin of their color, they hate them because of the ideas they believe about them. These ideas always are based on common fears of men.

I think that we as people are deeply confused, bathing in this soup of ideas, concepts and meanings that we cannot ground ourselves in. Whenever we do, we get disappointed as it falls apart. So some of us take it in their hands to protect their illusion, desperately, out of bitterness and frustration. But as Leo says, you cannot ground yourself in anything, but Teotl. So I think that maybe these massacres is just reality trying to wake itself up.     

Edited by Adilbek

@FoxFoxFox Yep. Unfortunately seems hard to get through to genuine fear masked behind hateful and aggressive ideology and a facade of toughness. I think there's generally a severe lack of willingness to be vulnerable and genuine among people with such red-orange values.