Roch

Has Leo done a video on pity?

11 posts in this topic

Just curious if he has. If he hasn’t, where can I read an in-depth analysis of pity?

33 minutes ago, Markus said:

@Roch Self-pity? Or what exactly.

More like pity on other people. Like how people pity Africa or disabled people.  

1 minute ago, Roch said:

More like pity on other people. Like how people pity Africa or disabled people.  

Oh. Anything in particular that interests you about that?

10 minutes ago, Markus said:

Oh. Anything in particular that interests you about that?

Since I’ve been labeled as disabled I’ve dealt with a lot of pity friends. I want to understand them better. 

4 minutes ago, Roch said:

Since I’ve been labeled as disabled I’ve dealt with a lot of pity friends. I want to understand them better. 

I'm not aware of any Leo vids that discuss that, nor anything else. I guess it's just them imagining being in your situation and imagining how difficult it'd be for them to cope, thus assuming helplessness. They don't consider the importance of feeling capable, independent and autonomous.

Pity is just the egoic interpretation of empathy. Like when people say "I don't want your pity" when you are being empathetic towards them. It's really empathy, and empathy is something that I feel is important to cultivate in ones life. If / when you have "cosmic consciousness" experiences you tend to develop it anyway because you realise everything is you and the usual nondual tropes.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, Roch said:

In a negative way? Do you wish your friends maybe treated you as though you had never been labeled?  What are your thoughts on pity if you dont mind

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

Pity is one of the first states to arise as you begin to wake up. And you are correct; pity for those around you. Pity for humanity.

This is why Buddha and many people decide to stick around post Enlightenment. Its no longer about yourself, its about being a beacon of love to elevate those around you.

You elevate those around you, because you know how dark, ugly and terrifying the darkness is. And you understand its unnecessary to stay there.

Humanity is desperate not for the darkness to go, but for light to be there permanently.

So what to do with this pity (for now)? Stay in it for a while. Get familiar with it, as long as you dont stay stuck on this level. Give it a few months and every so often revisit this pity.

Its not really pity. Its an original compassion overshadowing the Universal Brotherhood.

And your purpose in life is about changing it. Thats why youre here and you know it.

And you will succeed :)

5 hours ago, zambize said:

In a negative way? Do you wish your friends maybe treated you as though you had never been labeled?  What are your thoughts on pity if you dont mind

They bossed me around and didn’t respect me. They saw me as a pet or younger sibling instead of an equal. So now I have social anxiety. I get suspicious of anyone who is too “nice” to me.