Actualizer777

Build an online-business at home or get a job?

15 posts in this topic

Hey! Right now I have a LOT of free time. And when I say a lot I mean really a LOT! Basically I have 7 months with almost nothing planned to do. After that I go to college.

I am working on some online-businesses (ebooks, apps, blog...) and I earn some money (not a lot). My problem is that everytime people ask me what I am doing with all that time I have to tell that I work on some projects at home. Everyone else is working in a job, studying already or at least travelling the world. Sometimes I feel like I am wasting my time because there are no results and it is also not guaranteed that there will be.

My question to you is now: Is it more reasonable to get a job and work on some side hustles part-time or should I go 100% into my online businesses? I have no obligations and I don't necessarily need money right now. I am young and I still live with my parents. So I don't have pressure. What are your thougts?

@d0ornokey  I guess being financially free and working on innovative technology. I want to earn a lot of money so I dont need to worry about it. Then I want to work on my passion which is technology

Have fun but keep your long-term vision in your mind. Most of your friends don't have goals or visions (if they do, seldom worked towards) 

What's most important to you? Your values? Where do you want to be in 1, 2, 5 years? Center your life around that 

Your online business won't give any immediate returns because almost all forms of them require you to have some sort of following before you can make sales, and followings necessarily take time to build up.

If money is what you want or need, don't rely on your online business to get that for you in the beginning. That being said, start early and go balls deep! I say do both, you can always drop the side hustle once your business becomes reliable but in the beginning you have to keep your expectations in check. 

It's Love.

To clarify, I'm assuming you're talking about a sustainable, systematic online business instead of freelancing on fiverr or something (not that that isn't sustainable, but you know. It's far less consistent.)

If you mean the latter, then that's fine but I suggest you make clear what is your life purpose and what is your side hustle. Don't mix those two up!

It's Love.

15 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

Your online business won't give any immediate returns because almost all forms of them require you to have some sort of following before you can make sales, and followings necessarily take time to build up.

If money is what you want or need, don't rely on your online business to get that for you in the beginning. That being said, start early and go balls deep! I say do both, you can always drop the side hustle once your business becomes reliable but in the beginning you have to keep your expectations in check. 

This is BS though. What following?

@Actualizer777

How old are you?

You need to consider how much you gonna change in the next 5 years. I mean literally, you will not even remember your paradigm from before college, once you are in college for a year and after you graduated you are a very different person. 

If I would go back to pre college, I would take a year off and just follow my interests. If that is working an online business, then go!

But

youre probably not gonna be financially independent in 6 months 

youre probably not gonna be so driven doing your business once you start college

what would I do?

Travel, read books, meet friends, form connection, build fundamental skills, work out, learn cooking, learn cleaning, learn discipline 

Believe me, you just started. You cant just look beyond your horizon, that doesnt mean there is not a infinite long road ahead. 

See you got so much time 

and so much things to do and learn and go to and meet and do whatever

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what´s the secret? 

You start building fundamentals,you start soul searching, you get discipline and health FIRST

Then you start building your life

So many people try to live the lush life as long as they are young (which means the time in college basically) and then just get trainwrecked by the system and become drone workers for the rest of the day. 

Once you get older you will realize that you need to focus on something. That does mean you gotta drop other things and let them go. Because there is just to much to start. Its good to start a lot of things until lets say 25 to find your interests, but then you gotta become a master in a field, or atleast become excellent in 2/3 fields which synergize. If you dont get hired for your value you get hired for your time, and thats the capitalism version of slavery. 

We are still replaceable machine parts of the overall organization. 

See, do what no one is doing to get the results no one is getting. I know youre young and it is soo hard to go against the current, but thats the secret. Be smart and stop listening to anyone but your rational reasoning. 

Edited by UDT

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@UDT Thank you! That was a great answer! I am 20!

So, you think I should use all the time to pursue my interests? Reading, sports, programming, writing and so on without focusing on getting financially independent or trying to earn money? I actually don't have any pressure and I am not in a rush but to me it feels like I have to do it fast.

Yes.

Interests but also learn the fundamentals of living.

Can you cook?
can you clean your room?
can you hear your body telling you when you can push yourself or when a cold is approaching?
can you cure yourself through food, rest and tea and not rely on medications ?
do you know what you should eat daily, what are good sources of carbs, proteins, fat; what not, what diets are out there, what works for you?
do you have a decent level of fitness, do you have imbalances in your body which can fuck you up later?
do you know when you sit to much, do you know how to stretch, do yoga, mediate,
do you know how to defend yourself?
do you know how to study, how to take notes, how to keep your notes,
do you know how to focus?
do you know how to talk with a girl you like?
do you know how to keep a girl?
do you know how to be assertive yet friendly?
do you know how to control your emotions (roughly)
do you know how to see behind people?
do you know your self worth?
do you know how to try and fail without putting yourself out of the game completely and learning something from it?
have you dealt with all your past traumas, with how you feel about your parents and your ex girlfriend and your insecurities?
I could go on and on here

All these things need a mixture of study/theory and practical experience to be acquired at a good level of skill. And these are essential for living a great life. Because you need all these!

Remember: Learning = behavior change

If you don´t apply in real life the theory you took in, you´ve learned nothing

As a suggestions for what to do next

you might wanna watch leos wage slavery video
Start doing Martial Arts
Start cold showers
Start contemplating your death
Start your soul search, find something you can make your cause, and stick to it. Doesnt need to be for ever, but for now. It shouldnt be "because I can make the most money with it" but rather "because I would do it even if I dont get soo much money from it". And this search can take up your next 10 years if it has to, but start now!
If you have no purpose for yourself, the system will create one for you. And that purpose will be. Get up - work - go home - dont break the law - pay taxes - get milked - get replaced

Edited by UDT
added the suggestions

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@Actualizer777 You can build passive income online businesses very fast if you put your mind to it. I personally did that and am very happy with my results. I wouldn't say it is super easy, but if you follow many of the right principles, you should come out as a winner in this area. Good luck with whatever choice you make though :) 

Honestly you can always balance a job and online business, not sure why you feel you have to choose one or the other.

Watch Leo's youtube video on Confusion. That will surely help you and he has examples like this.