FredFred

Cannabis and the motivation to attain enlightenment

10 posts in this topic

For over 3 - 4 months now, whenever I smoke cannabis I get a huge boost in my motivation to attain enlightenment. I'm talking about a 300+% motivation increase compared to my sober state of consciousness. The motivation sticks for a day of two after taking the drug, but slowly wears off after that point.

It's not that I'm unmotivated to attain enlightenment when I'm sober of course. I really am motivated to do what's necessary in order to get to my goal, but it's nothing compared to what I can feel while hitting the THC.

Anyone else has this effect when smoking cannabis? Is there any way to make the motivation stick? Would it even be a good thing to do?

Thanks a lot!

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

@FredFred I smoked a little bit of cannabis yesterday after a 6 month break. What happened was basically every part of the personality fell away and only the part that inquires remained. Anything that happened was immediately put into questioning ('Who sees that?'). Unfortunately, I was dead tired and fell asleep quickly :D A lot was released before that, though.

In Buddhism, bodhicitta,[a] "enlightenment-mind", is the mind that strives toward awakening, empathy, and compassion for the benefit of all sentient beings.

~Wikipedia

So yeah, same as for you, my bodhicitta went over the top :)

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

Yeah weed can help me be aware of subtle emotions I wasnt aware of not on the drug, acid and shrooms same thing but in a different way and to an even larger extent.  Those really light up your nervous system.  If weed has worked wonders on you I'm curious on your stance on psychedelics, they could offer you a lot

Edited by zambize

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

I can sometimes feel this way... but for me it’s not the motivation that changes. It’s that smoking weed helps me see through the illusions of the world. It’s like my resolution of reality gets turned up a notch. 

I would contemplate what are the ACTUAL differences between your sober state and high state that allows one to increase the motivation over the other. A simple explanation may be that weed helps lower your ego and therefore allows more authentic feelings (such as the feeling to attain enlightenment) to flourish. If that’s the case, try to mindfully recognize that in your sober state and see if you cant get them to match.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while motivation is great, discipline and commitment will serve you better imo. Motivation is way to acute to really bother putting much stock into it. That’s my perspective anyways.

1 hour ago, Highest said:

Cannabis is the shit bro ;)

I've seen your other posts about cannabis and your good results with it. How often would you say is it possible to use it efficiently?

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

1 hour ago, okulele said:

I've seen your other posts about cannabis and your good results with it. How often would you say is it possible to use it efficiently?

I can't say for @Highest but I can talk about my personal usage. I'd say it's best to use it about once a week maximum for 2 different reasons :

1. Tolerance to the mind opening effects sets up really rapidly. If I use it everyday, on day 3 and onwards I'll simply become a lazy slug.
  2. Contrary to what other people might say, you CAN become cannabis dependant. Addiction is not fun to carry around.

That's my take on it, hope it helps!

Breathing out, I smile.

Cannabis makes me remember why I set myself such high goals. Cannabis makes me see what an amazing human being could leave me better off in the long term. Cannabis makes me slow down and really appreciate the journey that I'm on right now. Cannabis gives me a massive boost in confidence that I'm gonna be able to achieve enlightenment if I become 100% dedicated and passioned about my practice.

I see the big picture a lot more easily. When sober I tend to always forget about it, only to look at the massive amount of work that's required to me get there.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Breathing out, I smile.

1 hour ago, FredFred said:

Cannabis makes me remember why I set myself such high goals. Cannabis makes me see what an amazing human being could leave me better off in the long term. Cannabis makes me slow down and really appreciate the journey that I'm on right now. Cannabis gives me a massive boost in confidence that I'm gonna be able to achieve enlightenment if I become 100% dedicated and passioned about my practice.

I see the big picture a lot more easily. When sober I tend to always forget about it, only to look at the massive amount of work that's required to me get there.

Just sharing my thoughts.

That’s funny! 

When smoking you can see the beauty of the path and if practice more the benefits will come. But then forgetting about it when sober leads to more smoking. Maybe weed is the path? 

I know that Rastafarians practice fasting and loving kindness which is their way of non duality. They also smoke a lot.